• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Zooey72:

I think Patton was one of the worst, but Clark beats him out.  For how he conducted the war in Italy he should have been court marshalled and shot.  As they were approaching Rome his vehicle was stopped and the soldiers told him that they would have the Germans cleared out in a few hours.  He told them they had 1 hour.  Why?  Because he wanted “good light” to get his picture taken in Rome.  Someone should have fragg’d his ass.

Surely this has been taken out of context.

That said, sometimes you have to be an a$$ to get the troops moving.

• @MrMalachiCrunch:

I saw this movie u-571 where the US navy captured a german submarine.  The movie made a great deal of money.  Obviously, in the movie the US navy was very heroic and therefore it all must be true, cause it was in a movie see……

From wiki on that incident…

U-571 is a 2000 film directed by Jonathan Mostow, and starring Matthew McConaughey, Bill Paxton, Harvey Keitel, Thomas Kretschmann, Jon Bon Jovi, Jack Noseworthy, Will Estes, and Tom Guiry. In the film, a World War II German submarine is boarded in 1942 by disguised United States Navy submariners seeking to capture her Enigma cipher machine.
    The film was financially successful and generally well-received by critics in the USA[1] and won an Academy Award for sound editing.[2] The fictitious plot attracted substantial criticism since, in reality, it was British personnel from HMS Bulldog who first captured a naval Enigma machine (from U-110 in the North Atlantic in May 1941), long before the United States entered the war. A German U-boat crew is portrayed in a negative light (See the U-852 story below.) The anger over the inaccuracies even reached the British Parliament, where Prime Minister Tony Blair stated that the film was an “affront” to British sailors.[3]
    The real U-571 was never involved in any such events, was not captured, and was in fact sunk in January 1944, off Ireland, by a Short Sunderland flying boat from No. 461 Squadron, Royal Australian Air Force.

The movie was not enjoyable for me, thought it was a decent action movie, poor war movie.

Suggested Topics

I Will Never Grow Up Games
Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures
Dean's Army Guys

Users

Topics

1.6m