Which nation could be played by a 8 year old?

• My son (8) just discovered my AA-games (seeing me carrying the big AA50 box ;)) and wants to play a game with me.

So my question: Which nation could be the most easy to play for him?

He is quite clever and we play games like Ticket to ride with him and he wins his fair share of games without us adults helping him. HE also is resistant against helpful hints sometimes ;)

my first thought was Russia?

Thanks for your input

• If you want advice from a 14-year old, i would say, try something like US or Italy
    or atleast a nation that’s bit easy and with some action

• i agree with Big. either america, as being that player gives you time to think. or italy, as they’re small and have a limited amount of options at the start

making him russia would throw him head-first into the game, and you’d probably end up telling him what to do … hopefully he’d listen or quick game though  :-D

• I think that having him do Germany or Japan would be just fine.  Japan would probably be better, since Germany starts to feel pressure much earlier.  Starting out with bigger forces means he’ll get to spend the early turns beating up on people, which is fun!

• Give him China in the 41 scenario!!!  :-D

• Japan or the US would be good because they he will have to learn the logistics of moving land units by sea.

That is a fundamental that any player who hopes to become a great player will have to learn.

LT

• I agree with LT, but I think that Japan is the better choice over the US because with Japan you have both sea and land combat right from the start.  With the US, the first few rounds at least are only naval.
    Thanks.

• After giving it some thought Japan is better becasue as an Ally you have to work with the other Allies to do well.  The Axis work together indirectly.

I also Agree with CPT Jack they will have both land and sea to work with right off.

This may be a step backward but have you tried Risk?

I ask because the age on the box for risk is 10 and the age for any A&A is 12 if I remember correctly.

LT

I would stay away from Russia, Germany, and Italy since they are the most likely to get captured.

UK is usually pretty safe, but given their worldwide empire probably not a good choice for a first time player.

US would be good but they don’t have much action early or are often used to backup the UK which means tons of coordination.  But they do usually have pretty good income and can legitimately buy “fun stuff” (meaning bombers, ftrs, capital ships, etc.)

Japan is probably the best bet, as others have said they have tons of action and are safe from being captured and like the US they can routinely buy the fun units, and there isn’t as much coordination needed with Germany or Italy, so he won’t get locked into certain moves.

• My son (Cool just discovered my AA-games (seeing me carrying the big AA50 box Wink) and wants to play a game with me.

Ha ha ha.  Looks like Christmas comes early for Santa this year.  :-D

Give him China in the 41 scenario!!!  grin

I think the point is to get him involved in A&A, not drive him away ;)

For a first time player, I would give your son Italy.  Just not one of the Allies.  Sometimes it’s hard for a new player to psychologically recover as vast chunks of their empire are gobbled up and he’s suffering defeat everywhere.  I made the mistake of assigning a new player to UK once.  All he could do was watch helplessly, like a bystander, as all of the other nations were actively involved.  Yet all he could do was build transports and subs which would get sunk by German air the next turn.  I think he eventually settled on buying bombers and cashing out at 18 IPCs per turn.

Japan and German are two very advanced nations to play.  They definitely require the most “choices” and likely the most thought to get the most from.  Sure, you often see Japan running wild.  But it’s in a very controlled manner where the Japan player must constantly check he’s not outpacing his supply lines or that his troops can’t be maximized elsewhere.  Also, I’m not sure his Axis buddy would approve if the choices being made by his powerful ally was actually 8 year old kid wet to the game.  It seems like you were trying to punish him for some reason. ;)

Italy is a natural choice.  It’s small, limited options, no one pays much attention to it, and there’s room to expand.  It’s a great tutortial to learn how to play the game while still building a African Empire.  Also, nothing says father-son quite like Germany (you) and Italy.

• Customizer

i’d go with us or uk. uk with a little more guidance because you get a taste of everything in the uk.

• :) Thanks for all the input - though I first have to sort it out  - many ideas - none should be dismissed without thinking.

As for Risk  -  that one will be under the chrismas tree :)

You gave me something to think…

MY approach was: give him Russia - Russia is easy to play and gets action - the downside - Russia will face some deefeats - he might hate this…

Italy - an idea - If I am Germany I could lend him a helping hand if he gets mauled by the allies…

I don’t think UK, Germany and Japan are suited for beginners - mistakes are easily made and hardly - if ever correctable.

US - Might be an option - but I think Someone should guide him by telling him things like : He I need help here in Africa, could you please take Morocco from the Germans ;)

SO I think Italy or US it will be…

• If you’re chosing between Italy and US, I’d say US.
    If you give him Italy he may feel unable to really influence the game (like Germany and Japan do). By giving an unexperienced player the US, his sheer economy will make him an important - perhaps less predictable - player… which could be fun ;)

• @Andy1984:

If you’re chosing between Italy and US, I’d say US.
    If you give him Italy he may feel unable to really influence the game (like Germany and Japan do). By giving an unexperienced player the US, his sheer economy will make him an important - perhaps less predictable - player… which could be fun ;)

If the choice is between Italy and US, then I agree with Andy.

• Yes I also agree with Andy.

If the US divides its forces (Europe / Pacific) and the other Allies do thier part the US can create a stale mate.  Not saying that that’s a good thing but that is a very influential place to be.

Italy may make him loose interest just by dealing with the budget constraints.

LT

• USA goes last, so the boy can watch and learn some game mecanics before start his first turn.

Still, I would not give him China. Too much special rules for a beginner, better if he learns the basic rules first. I’d say give him USA but not China

• @Richter:

My son (8) just discovered my AA-games (seeing me carrying the big AA50 box ;)) and wants to play a game with me.

So my question: Which nation could be the most easy to play for him?

He is quite clever and we play games like Ticket to ride with him and he wins his fair share of games without us adults helping him. HE also is resistant against helpful hints sometimes ;)

my first thought was Russia?

Thanks for your input

Try D-Day instead. Much easier for a new player. Especially a child new player.

I see someone suggested Risk. I also recommend a backgammon set and a chess set.

Fundamentals. Start with the fundamentals.

In this one Italy seems the best bet. They appear to have a pretty focused situation.

As an aside it may not be so much an intrest in A&A but a desire to do something FUN with DAD.

• '22 '19 '18

I agree with the USA as a first time player.  Since USA goes last your son could see some play and combat and have time to think on his purchases and combat.  Espically since UK and Italy go between Japan and USA ('41 sceanario) so he can think about how to repsond to the Japanese attacks.  I think that you should
    have another ally play China, so that he doesn’t have to worry about that front and lets him just focus on the USA

• Most 8-year olds are going to be into units more than anything their first game, so I agree that the US would probably be the best choice. With the US he’ll be able to use most anything he buys so I think in that respect it will be more fun for him. Hook him with the playing pieces then reel him in with the rules (over time).

But don’t show him the A&A mini’s until he has a part-time job.  :-D

Really no kid is going to want to play Russia and have to buy primarily dudes while everyone else is buying all this nifty other stuff. Besides, Russia is a tall order for any first time player: “now remember son, don’t make any mistakes or you’ll lose the whole game for all of us.”  :-P

~ZP

• Italy: can be played so easily even a caveman can do it. Or a kid.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m