• @TG:

I think the reason why people (including my sister) gravitate towards the United Kingdom so much is because they’re generally seen as the “weakest” link.  (Though I think that’s changed with the inclusion of Italy).  UK just has to show up for the Allies to win.  Whereas if you’re USSR or Germany, there’s room for error.  This gives the British player more freedom to experiment with new strategies.  A crucial power like Russia is expected to do well for the Allies to win, but as a weaker nation, it is a bonus for the Allies if UK does well.

Hmm. cant agree with this. You are inferring that the Allies can compete if the UK “doesn’t show up”. that’s not the case. Without UK, Russia is toast.

• i wound up choosing UK but it is a bit of a toss-up between them and Italy.  I like Uk because they are really open ended, are well balanced, and dont have to deal with too many large scale ground engaements ( :-P)
    I like italy for some of the same reasons and because they’re more tactical than strategic.

• I also thought that Italy would rank up there with China in the preference line up.

This poll has turned out to be more interesting then I thought.

LT

• Depending on which setup we use.  I like UK in 1941, and Japan in 1942.  Plenty of broad strategy options, require logistics with Naval and Air power, very broad options for both countries IMAO.

• US starts low on troops and action, Japan has almost no effect (once had +70, but could harm moscow only a little bit, by SBR), chinese get wiped out

UK: has some good lookin ships
    Germany: nice tanks, can i borrow them?
    USSR: more inf!
    Italy: small but fun

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m