Question about invading Sicily/Sardinia with a Russian infantry

• '15

My question would be is there really absolutely nothing better that infantry could be doing for the two turns it takes to invade Sicily? It won’t “pay off” until two turns after that, even, and you’re not really harming Italy at all by doing it, unless you, for some reason, are going to use it for an invasion-of-Italy staging point and want to spend Russian IPCs on facilities instead of US’s/UK’s?

And that’s saying nothing about the turn, or potentially two, you’re tying up the British transport.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Its pretty true.  In practice, the troops march from hell and back, and end up being better used to protect (at least block) Iraq or Persia from some late game attacks in your soft underbelly.

Last time someone tried this (Maphead, in Game 102 against Roby), he had taken literally every other land unit off the board from UK to support the Greece/Balkans invasion.  The invasion was awesomely successful, but there was literally NOTHING left to block some late game Axis insertions into that area because of 2 dumb Russian pieces that were trying to take napoleons birthplace.

Since its a late game play that takes at least 7 turns to do, it cant recoup much. fun idea though

• Russia would get 3 IPCs for each island per turn, both islands would be 6 ipcs so the two inf will pay for themselves once they land (to buy more inf in Moscow). Plus you don’t have to leave them there the rest of the game, you could just dedicate that Brit tpt for another couple turns to get the Reds back to the main land lol.

If Moscow is taken then it has no value at all.

• @teslas:

My question would be is there really absolutely nothing better that infantry could be doing for the two turns it takes to invade Sicily? It won’t “pay off” until two turns after that, even, and you’re not really harming Italy at all by doing it, unless you, for some reason, are going to use it for an invasion-of-Italy staging point and want to spend Russian IPCs on facilities instead of US’s/UK’s?

And that’s saying nothing about the turn, or potentially two, you’re tying up the British transport.

It’s a moot point since Italy can easily block the move.  However, in the particular game that I was playing, Germany attacked on turn 2, I had a Russian mech activate Persia on that turn, loaded up 1 infantry from Persia on round 3, so hypothetically that infantry could have landed on Sicily on turn 5.  My games usually go to turn 9-10, so I saw it as a valid potential move.

• Question, if the allies take Rome, then the Reds take Sicily they would still get the 3 IPC NO right.

• @WILD:

Question, if the allies take Rome, then the Reds take Sicily they would still get the 3 IPC NO right.

Correct, as the original controller of Sicily is Italy.

• Thanks P@nther

• Ok so a Russian invasion of the Italian islands using a Brit tpt is highly unlikely, as long as there are axis planes in Rome, and the air base is operational (it really can’t happen because of scramble).

There are only a couple scenarios I can think of that it might happen.

1. Rome falls to the allies, and they decide to allow the Russians to spread communism.
    2. The Italians still hold Rome, but are convoyed to no income, and the allies have bombed the air base (Italy can’t repair base).
    3. There was a Sea lion, the Russians have managed to invaded the Balkans and have their own air power with in range of sz 95 to deter or fight the scramble. At that point the Russians could also already have Romania, Bulgaria and Albania (and others) for the NO as well (things not looking to good for Euro axis).

• Or:
    4) An ANZAC-Bomber was visiting that airbase.

• @hecatomb:

Or:
    4) An ANZAC-Bomber was visiting that airbase.

Awesome, never thought about that. That would be one cool bid :)

(could also bid 1 french bomber, for the lols :) )

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m