• I have been playing on Triple A for a few weeks now. I have been using the global map so its the same as the box games. I have been playing myself and every game has ended in a axis victory. No matter what I try, I cant seem to pull off a allied victory. I use a J1 attack and dont try sealion most of the time. Even when I tried sealion coupled with a j3 attack while hitting Russia, the axis still won.

I am a long time (over 30 years) gamer, and am pretty good. Is it just me or is the game skewed towards the axis?

• '19 '17 '16

It’s skewed to the Axis, unless there is a strategy for the Allies not known to the community.

In league games, Allies are typically spotted 20-25 IPC starting bonus in troops and still win <50%.

There’s a “Balanced Mod” in Triple-A which sees about 55% allied victory.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

With the allies, the key to have a chance:

Be as aggressive as you can without risking to lose big capitals or vital points like Egypt or the Middle East, force the Axis to take chances with battles of attrition.

You start with a TUV advantage and an income advantage so trading equally or slight unfavorable trades are fine. You will never have a single nation able to compete with the Germans or the Japanese on the continent, so you have to force many small battles “guerilla style”.

Despite best Allied play, similarly skilled Axis play will usually beat allied play without a bid, but Allied victory is possible without a bid if there is enough luck involved.

The Guerilla style includes:

• Scrambles that improves the TUV swing
      Intercepts of enemy raids (don’t lose Russian air force)
      Dropping subs in convoy and constantly taking down the destroyers that come sweep the destroyers. If possible clean up the Med and convoy, convoy.
      Strategic bombing
      Straffing of German, Japanese or Italian units with allied aircraft.
      Attacking with infantry. E.g., using two Chinese infantries to try to pick up one Japanese Infantry.
      Trading time for position. E.g., lure the Japanese into a positive TUV battle that puts them out of position, combine that with pressure elsewhere that gives you local parity or superiority. E.g., Stack Yunnan while bringing Russians back to Amur while taking Islands and leaving naval targets to strike. Japan can definitely crush any one of these targets, but if they go after all of them they will bleed.

• Some of the matches between top league players have reached Allied bids up to 40 PUs to balance out the game.  It has been shown from many hundreds of games that a 20-25 bid is not quite sufficient to make things equal.

• '17 '16 '13 '12

@Arthur:

Some of the matches between top league players have reached Allied bids up to 40 PUs to balance out the game.  It has been shown from many hundreds of games that a 20-25 bid is not quite sufficient to make things equal.

For as long as the Axis push in the right spots without exposing themselves to counterattacks, they usually gain an economic / logistics advantage. Overcoming logistics and the issues with split forces (while balancing the two theaters) is a big problem for the Allies.

• All of the comments about the set up favouring the axis are right. But Triple A is not that clever and it is perfectly feasible to win against it as the allies. I see some suggestions already in the answers you have.

Good luck!

• Hi SH

Went back to the opening post to check and you can actually read it both ways: that it is about playing AI or himself.

In which case you may well be right given that AI is not hard to beat.

Cheers
    PP

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@simon33:

There’s a “Balanced Mod” in Triple-A which sees about 55% allied victory.

Not exactly balanced then, is it?

:-)

• Yeah, I see the new BM requiring a bigger and bigger bid for the Axis.  I think that +3 Axis is minimum and +5 to +10 is getting more common.  The ability of the Allies to keep fighting even after the fall of Moscow is a big change.  It is also much tougher for China to be crushed and stay crushed.  They have an annoying habit of getting a big army later in the game.

• '19 '17

@Arthur:

Yeah, I see the new BM requiring a bigger and bigger bid for the Axis.  I think that +3 Axis is minimum and +5 to +10 is getting more common.  The ability of the Allies to keep fighting even after the fall of Moscow is a big change.  It is also much tougher for China to be crushed and stay crushed.  They have an annoying habit of getting a big army later in the game.

Moscow is significantly more important in BM when compared to vanilla, since the base income of Russia is higher and they’ll keep producing some units even with most of their territories lost.

• I can’t loose with the Allies, please play me on tripleA.

• The claims that the game is balanced keep coming in  :|.  People probably are facing conservative Axis players who don’t know how to properly do early game DoWs or take advantage of the air power to focus attacks on points of weakness.  I am curious if this flexibility to project power will allow the Axis to overcome a +60 Allied bid.  I will find out soon…

In a local area gaming group, there is one player who loves to turtle down in Moscow when he plays Russia.  He only builds infantry, and then spend half an hour contemplating what to do before deciding not to launch a single attack.  After 7 or 8 rounds, the Axis opponents become so bored and frustrated they decide to just roll the dice in Moscow instead of focusing on a 15ish round victory.  Usually the turtle wins the confrontation.

• '19 '17 '16

Who is going to play Axis against a +60 Allied bid?

• http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=39334.0

UK
    Sub SZ 98, 92, 111
    Tank Egypt
    Art alex
    Fighter schotland
    Transport south afrika
    Mech Burma

Russia
    int Western Ukrain
    art belarus  , Amur

So far it hasn’t been too bad for the Axis.  I will lose Africa of course, and I had to let the UK SZ111 fleet escape.  Things are also slower in Asia and I likely need to do a J3 DoW, especially playing against an aggressive Chinese opposition.  Still, I think that there is a good shot for the Axis to win if I play well.

• '19 '17 '16

I think that is heroic. I would have done the USSR strengthens Yunnan strategy but I still think that the allies will have this one.

• There is an interesting thread suggesting China taking first place in the turn order.  I haven’t tested it yet, but intend to soon as it seems like a good balancing tool.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=35417.0

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

@simon33:

Who is going to play Axis against a +60 Allied bid?

wow, 60 bid!?!?!?!?!?!

that is insane!  I’ll take any axis player for 60!  :lol:

• I am sure that you would crush anyone with a 60 bid, Karl!  Fortunately I am going against someone who is uber aggressive and I can use his aggressiveness to slowly wear away his initial advantage.  I just started a +80 game.  I think that I have a shot at winning but obviously the dice might decide to say otherwise.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

Once the bid gets past 50, I suggest we just do bids by weight;

“no, we will play the Allies for 17 grams of infantry.”

pours the bid onto the board

• '19 '17 '16

@simon33:

I think that is heroic. I would have done the USSR strengthens Yunnan strategy but I still think that the allies will have this one.

Wow. I was wrong! Axis win against a +60 bid.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m