• Customizer

I’m getting ready to do that HBG order and getting piece to bulk up a few things. I’ve got none of the 1941 sculpts and now I’m looking at subbing them in for previous pieces. Also getting pieces to do up a range of minor powers and neutrals.

I’ve got most of the HBG sets anyway but I’m just bulking up some piece counts to give me a decent enough amount to do each nation.

I’d actually really like some battle of the bulge or Guatal Canal style maps that focus on a campaign rather than a theatre just so i could get more use out of these HBG pieces.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

very very cool! I like how you tied in the colors with each nation!

• Customizer

In home again! Thing that’s bothered me the most about air units is how they just lay flat…. Well once I started painting them I realized that wasn’t gonna be good enough… So.

Also here’s a head count of my painted infantry and artillery…. Somethings are clearly falling behind.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Well done mentok27. I especially like those stands you made. Very impressive. :-)

John

• '16 Customizer

Wow! Those stands are beautiful. They really make the pieces stand out. (No pun intended). How did you make them?

• Customizer

I’ve clocked up quite a few hours on these over the last few days however quite a bit of it has been fitting the flight stands…. I’d be coming up to 100 done so far if not already past it.

Flight stands are actually just some thumb tacks I got from a office shop. They come 40 to a box for the small headed ones and 20 a box for the larger ones… Either size is only $3 a box!!!

They all use the smaller sized base. My plan would be for fighters, tac bombers and jet fighters to use the small bases with transports, medium bombers and heavy bombers using the bigger bases…. I would have liked the bombers to be higher but the pins only come in the on we length.

I’ve been working on my US planes but they are pretty boring since I’m resorting to decals for the U.S. Roundel and I haven’t even order them yet so they just look like blue planes with painted cockpits. I went with the navy’s blue planes since it’s a fairly unique scheme and now that my planes have stands which will get done in the national colour I don’t have to worry about making the aircraft the same color as the rest of the units.

Hitting a dead end with my US planes and anticipating the same thing with the soviet aircraft I decided to fire up my first minor nation!

I’ve only finished these but I also have the land units about 70% done on my painting table.

I love your planes. They are quite impressive. Superb job on these! :-D

John

• '21 '18 '17 '15

Nice work….

• i like the black outline of the canopies and cockpits! Love seeing that extra bit of detail makes the whole piece really pop out! very pleasing sets so far!

• Customizer

Still working on those Dutch ground forces… But in the meantime… Finland has an airforce!

Now those are pretty darn cool!

And very well done one the insignias. I know those are particularly difficult to paint (cleanly) as opposed to using decals.

• Do you mind posting what kind of equipment you are using (brushes, magnifiers, etc) to get that level of detail? Quite impressive.

• '14 '13

So impressive. I’ll be using some of these great pics for reference as I continue painting units. Great job.

-jluna1273

• Customizer

I’ll try and take some pictures of my main paint brush but I think you’ll be surprised at its size.

I probably should be focusing on finishing off all the unit option for the core nations before I do anymore work on the minors but these are way more interesting at the moment.

My minor builds will include
    12 infantry
    6 artillery
    6 tanks
    4 mech infantry
    4 AA guns
    6 fighters
    3 tac bombers
    3 strategic bombers

If they have a navy they get
    3 subs
    3 desgroyers
    2 cruisers
    2 transports

Plus I’m likely gonna include expanded units
    6 light tanks(or medium if first tank was light)
    2 trucks
    2 armored cars
    2 SPG
    2 tank destroyers
    1 elite infantry
    1 transport
    1 paratrooper

• Customizer

Welp. Finland round one is nearly done.  Just need to finish off the 3 strategic bombers which I started to do in a different scheme but decided against it….

And the Netherlands round one is done!!

Next will be Finland and the Netherlands navies! I’ve actually not worked on a single ship in this current round of painting

Your washes are superb. What kind of paint do you use and what is your liquid ratio to get the desired effect? I have trouble determining the sweet spot for proper application.

Very well done. They positively glow.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

Wow, those are Great!!!

• @LHoffman:

Your washes are superb. What kind of paint do you use and what is your liquid ratio to get the desired effect? I have trouble determining the sweet spot for proper application.

Very well done. They positively glow.

GGGGEEEEEZZZZZZ the colors are awesome. Kind of reminds me of 40000 K. I would also like to see your washes and paint ratio’s.

@SS:

Kind of reminds me of 40000 K.

I was thinking the same. Somebody has been doing this stuff for a while…

Wow mentok27, these are super awesome. Awesome job on everything. :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m