• '14 Customizer

This my Global 1940 metal map. It is 36 x 79 inches and has a metal backing.  The original thread is right here.

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=33872.0

right now I’m in the process of drilling holes and inserting 3x1mm Neodymium Disc Rare Earth magnets into facilities.

• This is ABSOLUTELY awesome man! well done you have completely eliminated the most annoying and potentially catastrophic feature of playing A&A.  Having the chips and units falling off.  I’ve had games with my buddy were we would play with a few drinks in us and as the hours and turns go on… sure enough somebody gets up bumps the table pieces are everywhere and we just pissed away 6 hrs of gaming!  Or you leave to take a break and sure enough the wife’s house cat jumps on the board and plays cat and mouse with your entire Waffen SS!  Once again what a great idea and amazing board! Hats off!

• '14 Customizer

Thanks JWO, I originally had just put magnets in the carriers, fighters and tactical bombers because I hated to see planes fall off the carriers or the precise touch one must have to place the planes on the carriers. Now with the magnets they practically jump out of your hand onto the carrier and stay in place when the carrier is moved. I also added a perk that the carriers polarity is faction specific. Meaning that only axis planes can land on axis carriers and vice versa. :)

Anyways, I have expanded the idea to have every piece magnetized. There is more to come. I will post my updates in this thread.

• I too have added magnets too my carrier decks and too the planes. � I hated how the planes would always fall off the decks. � I also made magnet fire damage markers for the carriers and capitol ships because I didn’t like tipping the ships and carriers over. � That is so cool that you made the magnets so only axis planes land on axis ships and vis versa! � I would love to play a game on your board! haha � below are a few pics of my carriers. � I noticed you were able to put a film over the magnet so it does not stand out all. What did you use over the magnet piece??

ac fire1.JPG
    ac fire2.JPG

• Those Damage Markers look great.

• '14 Customizer

Those are very nice damage markers.  What do you use for the battleships?  I have these little orange blast markers I put under the ship.  I love the smoke rising from the carrier.  The only time that might not work is if a carrier took a hit and had two allied planes on it but that is rare.

• '14 Customizer

I used 10mm or 3/8" stickers.  The ones people use to mark items at garage sales, hehe.  The only problem is you have to buy like a 1000 per color and only need around 5o per color except for the grey/silver.  They still stick together fine.

• I printed out a 108 x 48 version of the clean map on Vinyl

• '14 Customizer

wow, that’s awesome!  Love to see a pic of it. :)

• '14 Customizer

I finished the facilities, blast markers, rockets and turn marker.  Almost finished with the neutrals and their roundels.

Major and Minor IC.

Air Bases, Naval Bases, Blast markers for Battleships and Carriers, Rocket launchers for tech. (I tilted one on its side to see the color sticker) I also posted an example of a naval base on an orange chip noting damage to the facility.  For the most part these will not be used since the map has them printed on it. These are for newly purchased or damaged facilities.

and now for my turn marker. I had originally posted a 12 sided dice with different countries on each side.  I had problems making it magnetic without destroying it.  So I came up with the Fatman which was the first plutonium bomb.  I thought the Fatman would be appropriate since it was the weapon that ended the war.  I thought about unveiling it on August 9 but decided to post it early.  August 9th was the day it was dropped. 

• @cyanight:

and now for my turn marker. I had originally posted a 12 sided dice with different countries on each side.  I had problems making it magnetic without destroying it.  So I came up with the Fatman which was the first plutonium bomb.  I thought the Fatman would be appropriate since it was the weapon that ended the war.Â

Very cool idea!  The size and the yellow colour certainly make it an eye-catching marker.  Did you build the model yourself or did you buy it somewhere?

• '14 Customizer

Had it made at Shapeways.com  The version with the antennas could not be created so I opted for a version without them.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/2246516/fat-man-no-antennae.html?modelId=2246516&materialId=6

• @cyanight:

Had it made at Shapeways.com  The version with the antennas could not be created so I opted for a version without them.

Nice.  It would have been amusing if the Shapeways “Choose Material” menu had included a “plutonium core” option, but that would probably have been extremely expensive (even at the small scale of the marker), and also undoubtedly a violation of many federal laws, international arms-limitation treaties, IAEA regulations, and municipal zoning codes.  Worst of all, it would have made the magnetized marker too heavy to stick vertically to the metal chart!  :lol:

• this is awesome man!  Your factories look great! did you buy the majors at HBG or is that shapeways as well??  The Fat man looks awesome too! Now you just need a couple of b29’s from shapeways for your game…magnetized too the fullest of course

• '14 Customizer

Thank You!  I got the Major factories from Shapeways as well.

https://www.shapeways.com/model/1151578/majorfactory-qty-12.html?modelId=1151578&materialId=62

I have been super patient with HBG but it looks like they will be another 3 months delayed on their America addition set.  I am really looking forward to the Shooting Star from that set.  I found some B29’s on Shapways but I need to figure out what scale I need.  I’m thinking 1/700.

• Sponsor

These look fantastic Cyanight, keep up the great work.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

That is an awesome map and everything magnetized, must make it even better! :-D

• @John:

That is an awesome map and everything magnetized, must make it even better!

Though it could be dangerous if HBG even develops sculpts or markers that represent magnetic mines.  The map itself might set them off.  :lol:

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@CWO:

@John:

That is an awesome map and everything magnetized, must make it even better!

Though it could be dangerous if HBG even develops sculpts or markers that represent magnetic mines.  The map itself might set them off.  :lol:

LOL, that would be something! :-D

• I hear ya man, HBG has these amazing sets coming out but its sooooo hard to be patient and wait for these pieces.  I have been waiting on the UK set now for months.  I am very excited about the America set they are producing, and cant wait too paint the p47 “jug” and the b24 liberator!  “Tall Paul” has a shapeways thread in this customization forum section.  If you check it out he has already purchased the b29 and has the correct scale in his thread.  I will be making some minor and major factory purchases here soon seeing how nicely yours turned out, as well as that b29.  Gotta paint that Enola Gay!

Thanks for sharing your stuff

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m