• Customizer

Guys,

@DarthShizNit:

1st Marines

––“The Old Breed” 1st Marines WITHOUT A DOUBT for the USA in the Pacific Theater of Operations.

“Tall Paul”

• As for me it is:

Big Red One for the U.S. .
    7th Armor for Great Britain.
    Gross Deutschland for Germany.

• I was trying my best to think of a Division that best defined Britain, so thank you for coming up with the 7th Aequitas.

Russia: 16th Rifle
    German: 1st SS
    British: 7th Armored
    Japanese: IJA 3rd Division
    USA: 101st Airborne

• GG: what did the !6th Rifle do? I have never learnt Russian units, like I have done with other nations.
    For that matter,  would you tell me where the Japanese 3rd fought too?
    Thanks. Have a happy holiday, friend.

• @wittmann:

I was trying my best to think of a Division that best defined Britain, so thank you for coming up with the 7th Aequitas.

Sorry Wittmann but all the credit about the 7th goes to ABWorsham since he mentioned it first in here.
    The 7th Armored Div. represents best their country, since it fought all the way from the Deserts over Normandy up to Hamburg. Good Evening.

• Apologies Worsham and thank you Aequitas.

@wittmann:

GG: what did the !6th Rifle do? I have never learnt Russian units, like I have done with other nations.

Hey Wittman! Thank you for your wishes. :)

If I’m not mistaken, 16th Rifle defended Leningrad or Stalingrad extensively. It, to me, represents the resilience that Russian units showed defending the cities.

3rd Japanese fought in China, and even though they engaged the US, Japan’s true rival, as it has been for centuries, was China, and that unit stayed in China during the course of the war.

GG

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Dirlewanger Division.

Certainly describes the brutality and inhumanity of the worst of the SS.

• @Guerrilla:

@wittmann:

GG: what did the !6th Rifle do? I have never learnt Russian units, like I have done with other nations.

Hey Wittman! Thank you for your wishes. :)

If I’m not mistaken, 16th Rifle defended Leningrad or Stalingrad extensively. It, to me, represents the resilience that Russian units showed defending the cities.

3rd Japanese fought in China, and even though they engaged the US, Japan’s true rival, as it has been for centuries, was China, and that unit stayed in China during the course of the war.

GG

Thank you. Russian defence: good choice.

GERMANY, The 3rd SS Totenkopf,

• US: 4th Armored Division
    UK: Guards Armored Division
    USSR: 1st Guards Motor Rifle Division
    ANZAC: 7th Infantry
    France: 2nd Armored
    Germany: 10th SS Panzer
    Italy: 185th Airborne Division Folgore
    Japan: dont really have one
    China: again, i got nothing

• Nice list Polo Player. Can I ask why you chose the 10th SS?

• @wittmann:

Nice list Polo Player. Can I ask why you chose the 10th SS?

Australian 7th, nice pick Polo. I read that General Montgomery once said before the Normandy Invasion he would have a much better ease of mind if he had his Australians.

• Also a Division to def. think about.

The 92nd U.S. Infantry Division.

• Wittman, I chose the 10 SS because it was the first SS division I read about and actually did some research on. Also because it was one of the few SS units that fought a “clean war” and sense its formation (it was mainly conscripts) it never stopped. it beat back the British 1st airborne at Arnhem. It was surrounded on the eastern front, but it broke out and continued fighting till its commander realized that the war was over, finally surrendering to the American army.

ABWorsham, the 7th Australian were total Bad@sses!!! Holding Tobruk from Rommel was something else

• Thank you Polo Player. I wondered if it was because of its reputation of fighting a “clean war”. (Possibly the only SS Division that could boast that.)
    I love the whole Arnhem campaign and am very aware of its fighting prowess there. Cannot remember where it was surrounded on the Eastern Front. Was it Cherkasy? Or was it in the Baltic States later on?

• Wittman. The 10th SS was actually surrounded in the Battle of Halbe, which was south-east of Berlin. The battle was actually considered part of the Battle of Berlin

• Not heard of that battle, thank you.
    Will look it up later.

• @wittmann:

Was it Cherkasy? Or was it in the Baltic States later on?

Cherkassy was the 5th Waffen SS Division Viking, Wittmann.

An old friend of mine who knew a Former soldier of the Vikings told me ones:

• And they broke out and left many behind, no one carried the wounded,…… they scraped together what they got.
      He walked along a StuG III for a while and heard somebody call his Name, Reis, Reis. He looked up and saw his old buddy from his Town and replied. What are you doing in here??

@poloplayer15:

Wittman. The 10th SS was actually surrounded in the Battle of Halbe, which was south-east of Berlin. The battle was actually considered part of the Battle of Berlin

It wasn’t the first time they had been surrounded  :wink:.

The 10th SS Panzer-Division “Frundsberg” was formed out of the 10th SS-Panzergrenadier-Division on 26. October 1943.

Nice Choice Poloplayer15.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m