Ambilzi & Grasshopper's 1940 Global Map (Video Added)

• It turns out I ran into problems too when trying to transfer the file from my office computer (where it worked fine) to my home computer (where it refused to load).  Would it be possible for YG and Ambilzi to convert the .tif file to some other graphics format that might work more easily like .png (which combines compression with high quality)?

• Sponsor

I just want to be clear that I am not the sole creater of this map. Ambilzi scanned the gameboard, made the file, emphisized the convoy and kamikazi symbols and corrected minor errors from the original board. It was then my idea to add the long income tracker, the short turn tracker, the built in battle board, the bases, and all the reference charts. Ambilzi is the technical guy behind this project, so any file compression questions would be his area seeing as he created and has the unflattened file.

You can try and PM Ambilzi, however… he doesn’t frequent the forums often due to his very busy schedule. Maybe imperious Leader has some advice as to what the problem might be, but in the meantime, I will try and contact Ambilzi about the compression file format through e-mail. FYI: This map file is for the purpose of printing, laminating, and instaling on a customized game table… the files are large in order to acommidate that goal and are not really meant for quick reference.

EDIT: Since this post, I have replaced the first 3 files with 1 jpeg file that’s 113MB and perfect for printing.

• Hey folks! It’s a flat .tif file created in photoshop, just a high resolution file. Any reasonably functional photo viewing / editing program should be able to successfully work with it.

The file was created on a Apple system, but that shouldn’t affect anything. I know it’ll open with the default image viewing software on a Mac. It appears to open fine in Windows Photo Viewer on my Windows 7 system as well.

I can definitely create a .png version. I honestly don’t know why I chose .tif. Maybe out of habit. I’ll see about doing that and sending that version to YG to add to the post for those having trouble with the .tif

• I’m sending the updated version to him now, I converted it into RGB for .png format compatibility. Maybe some of the difficulty some users have had were due to the fact that it was in CMYK before. CMYK is generally better for printing, so I would recommend the original .tif, if possible, if you intend on printing it out.

• Why convert it like that? RBG?

.png or PDF would be great, but CMYK can also be converted to .PNG or .PDF

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

What, may I ask was the reason for making the Caspian (not Black) Sea into a numbered Zone?

I mean, I like it, even if it will never ever be used, because it is just superfluous and that shows thoroughness.

As far as I know, there are no river outflows, so if you ever built a ship there, you could never get it out. Seems like the Great Lakes would have been better choices for numbered zones because they would at least be functional even if no one ever used them.

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

What, may I ask was the reason for making the Caspian (not Black) Sea into a numbered Zone?

I mean, I like it, even if it will never ever be used, because it is just superfluous and that shows thoroughness.

As far as I know, there are no river outflows, so if you ever built a ship there, you could never get it out. Seems like the Great Lakes would have been better choices for numbered zones because they would at least be functional even if no one ever used them.

Unsure as that was one of Ambilzi’s special touches…. my guess is that the Caspian Sea was screaming for a number where the great lakes were just like … mmeeehhh.

@Young:

Unsure as that was one of Ambilzi’s special touches…. my guess is that the Caspian Sea was screaming for a number where the great lakes were just like … mmeeehhh.

Good enough… I agree. I didn’t think there was some brilliant idea beyond that.

• Sponsor

Well… I just rolled out my new printed map on my table, and it’s not good… in fact it’s crap. My old map was beautiful with rich blue sea zones, crisp clear icons and amazing bright colors. This new map is dull with pasty mauve sea zones, yellow greenish UK territories, and an overall uninspiring look.

I can’t begin to tell you all how pissed I am. Ambilzi and I have been working really hard on this… I myself have spent countless hours frustratingly working with just base icons all week… and now after blowing $150 for an unreturnable item, I’m am obviously pissed.

I don’t have the expertise to understand why the file that made my first map amazing would come out so sh*t the second time. The only obvious reason would be the fact that I used a different print company this time around, that and I don’t know if printing it from a 466MB pdf file instead of a 1.39GB psd file made any difference.

All I know is that I hope it’s the printer and not the file… because I can’t go through this sh*t again. Well… looks like the FMGC just got a new door prize, anyway… I just wanted to get that off my chest, now I’m gonna crank up some Metallica tunes from Master of Puppets and beat the hell out of my punching bag.

• Sponsor

So I’m raising the money to get a second print done at a much more creditable print shop. I told them all my issues, and they seem professional and knowledgable enough to get the colours right. Stay tuned……

@Young:

So I’m raising the money to get a second print done at a much more creditable print shop. I told them all my issues, and they seem professional and knowledgable enough to get the colours right. Stay tuned……

Maybe you already said this but… what are you printing on? Game-board material or rigid paper?

• Sponsor

@LHoffman:

@Young:

Maybe you already said this but… what are you printing on? Game-board material or rigid paper?

Vinal banner type poster… than laminated, and pasted on a wooden surface.

• Is there any possible chance of getting a .psd or something?  I want to move around some of the things placed on the board :)

• '14 '13

Damn, sorry to hear about the bad print job. That sucks to hear. I think that was partly why I was so hesitant to print a map for my table and just went with the OOB map. Hope things work out for you.

• Sponsor

@jluna1273:

Damn, sorry to hear about the bad print job. That sucks to hear. I think that was partly why I was so hesitant to print a map for my table and just went with the OOB map. Hope things work out for you.

Once I get it printed properly, I will create a you-tube video featuring all the elements of the table… that will make it worth all these headaches.

• Sponsor

I just want to announce that I got a new print done and it’s perfect. I have been working with a very creditable print shop and their professional expertise have helped me understand what happened with the first print. Basically by compressing the file from a different computer, the color profiles were reset to the settings of the computer which did the compressing. Needless to say… I’m gonna get my money back.

They also helped me compress the file properly… the result was a jpeg file about 113MB with 200 pixels/inch and set at baseline (standard). You can find this new file linked in the first post of this thread and it is the only file I feel comfortable sharing considering the headaches and loss of money from my own experience. I just want to thank Ambilzi once again for all his help and expertise, I will be posting a You-Tube video featuring my custom table soon.

• Hi there.  I was just curious if it is possible to print this map bigger to say a 8’x4’ map?
    There is not a whole lot of room for some territories on the 32"x70" map. Thanks

• Sponsor

@fateweaver:

Hi there.  I was just curious if it is possible to print this map bigger to say a 8’x4’ map?
    There is not a whole lot of room for some territories on the 32"x70" map. Thanks

I will ask the guys at my print shop Monday, and I will get back to you Monday night. In the meantime, have you considered using a third color of chip (blue) to represent 10 units?

• Ok thanks.

I guess an extra chip colour would help reduce clutter?

Basically unless you are careful the stack comes apart I find when moving them.

• Sponsor

@fateweaver:

Basically unless you are careful the stack comes apart I find when moving them.

Ya… the key word there is careful, from my experience its best to first take the unit off the top and palm it… then with your fingers on the same hand, pick up the whole stack by diging your finger nail under the bottom holding everything like a handful of pebbles. Restack the chips on the desired territory and place the unit that is buried in the palm of the same hand.

Don’t attempt to squeeze the stack from the side or pinch the stack from top to bottom, it may seem like you’re saving yourself time keeping the stack together while you move it… but in most cases, the force will catipult the disks everywhere demolishing the board and wasting presious game time.

Cheers.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m