Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• Sponsor

@Krieghund:

Those emblems are there simply to honor Canada’s contribution to the Allied war effort.  They have no significance in actual game play.

Here, Here.

• Customizer

@stroutqb22:

Second why does China only come with 5 tokens considering they only have 6 territories to take over shouldn’t they come with 7 tokens (one for each territory and one for IPC tracking)

If you really want more Chinese control markers, you could get them at HBG. He has a lot of National control markers available in sheets of 20 and they are good thick ones like used in the 1940 games. He even has some for nations that aren’t represented in the 1940 games (Romania, Hungary, Dutch, Spain, Communist China, etc.) in case you want to try out the 1939 varient.
    On occasion, we like to try out some weird varient where China can go outside of it’s own borders, so we then need more Chinese markers.

• National objective IPC bonuses for the United States.  In global, does the United States continue to get the 40 IPC bonus for going to war that it gets in “Pacific” as a stand-alone.  Without that bonus, it seems like it would get insufficient IPCs to balance out the IPCs that the axis powers are likely to have by that point. I know that there are “new” bonuses in the “Global” variant as stated in the Europe 1940 rules, but I am wondering of the United States would get that additional 40 point boost from the pacific game.

Thanks!

• No, that is a pacific objective only.

• '12

@kcdzim:

@ryguy:

According to the new rules, does the US start with minor or major industrial complexes for Global 1940 2nd ed?

Minor for Global (revisions to the setup and rules for Global are located in the rule book).  Major for Europe only - which is the setup printed on the boxes.

I know this was in alpha 3, but I can’t find anything in the 2nd ed rules about starting the US with minor factories in G40.

• @moralecheck:

@kcdzim:

@ryguy:

According to the new rules, does the US start with minor or major industrial complexes for Global 1940 2nd ed?

Minor for Global (revisions to the setup and rules for Global are located in the rule book).�  Major for Europe only - which is the setup printed on the boxes.

I know this was in alpha 3, but I can’t find anything in the 2nd ed rules about starting the US with minor factories in G40.

Look here:

@Europe:

Additional rules
    The industrial complexes in Eastern United States, Central United States, and Western United States begin the game as
    minor complexes. They are upgraded to major complexes at no cost when the United States enters a state of war and
    may be used as such immediately. They may be upgraded prior to that time in the normal way.

• '12

Thank you!

• '12

@Fortress:

@cond1024:

2. Can you use allied airbases to launch your attacks?�  So can the US launch from England AB? If you can’t use allied airbases than paratroopers is pretty much useless for the US.

No. The tech only applies to your own airbases. However, if the US has a forward airbase (a captured one or one built on captured territory), it can use them.

The rule just reads “Up to 2 of your infantry in each territory with an airbase…”.  Unlike rocket tech, it does not specifically say it has to be one of YOUR airbases.  I think it is valid for the US to use England’s AB.  At least that’s how I read it.

• Good catch - it does appear to be yet another ambiguous rule in the book  :x

I was going to agree with Fortress, but reading the rules for bases again in the rulebook and also paratroopers, I think you have a good question and I don’t know the answer for sure.

Waiting eagerly for Krieghund’s reply

• Sponsor

There is a forum debate based on this question:

If an Allied nation liberates a French territory while Paris is under Axis control, does that Allied nation collect the IPC value of the French territory they just liberated?

• '12

Yes. They would place their control marker on it.  It’s theirs until Paris is liberated or the axis retake it.

• @Young:

There is a forum debate based on this question:

If an Allied nation liberates a French territory while Paris is under Axis control, does that Allied nation collect the IPC value of the French territory they just liberated?

Yes, see
    @rulebook:

Liberating a Territory

If the original controller’s (the power whose territory
    you just liberated) capital is in enemy hands at the end
    of the turn in which you would otherwise have liberated
    the territory, you capture the territory instead. You adjust
    your national production level, and you can use any
    industrial complex, air base, and/or naval base there until
    the original controller’s capital is liberated. The capturing
    player can’t use these newly captured facilities until the
    player’s next turn.

• Sponsor

OK, Thank you.

• Official Q&A

@Gamerman01:

Good catch - it does appear to be yet another ambiguous rule in the book  :x

What’s ambiguous about it?  It means what it says.  The infantry has to be yours, but the base doesn’t necessarily have to be.

• @Krieghund:

@Gamerman01:

Good catch - it does appear to be yet another ambiguous rule in the book�  :x

What’s ambiguous about it?  It means what it says.  The infantry has to be yours, but the base doesn’t necessarily have to be.

Has there ever been a tech where you could directly use an Ally’s unit/facility before this?
    Normally you can’t use an Ally’s units in attacking.  Since we NOW know that you can use an ally’s airbase for paratroopers, this feels like an exception.

Contrast the language for air bases and naval bases with the language for paratroopers:

Air bases: “When taking off from a friendly territory or island that has an operative air base, air units gain one additional point of movement range.”
    Naval bases: “Sea zones serviced by a naval base confer the benefits of that base onto all friendly sea units in those zones.”
    Paratroopers: “Up to 2 of your infantry units in each territory with an air base can be moved to an enemy controlled territory…”

I understand why you would question my statement that the statement is ambiguous, but I think this is partly because you know what the intent is and never had to read it from our viewpoint - (that is, people who don’t know the rules until we read the rulebook).
    I’m not the only one who thought you couldn’t use an ally’s airbase for paratroopers… it feels wrong because it seems inconsistent with previous A&A rules.  But if the rulebook had said “in each territory with a FRIENDLY air base”, it would be abundantly clear.

And without this clarification that we now have from you, I could definitely see arguments arising between players once someone takes advantage of this rule (like launching USA infantry into Europe from the UK) much to the surprise of the defender, and a spirited argument taking place after that.  The defender could argue that if you could launch paratroopers from an allied base, that the rule would have specifically said so (and note the inconsistency with airbase and naval base rules).  So no, I don’t think the paratrooper rule as stated in the rulebook is clear enough!  Insert the word “friendly”!

• Official Q&A

@Gamerman01:

Has there ever been a tech where you could directly use an Ally’s unit/facility before this?
    Normally you can’t use an Ally’s units in attacking.  Since we NOW know that you can use an ally’s airbase for paratroopers, this feels like an exception.

Not really.  It’s no different than using an ally’s base to extend the range of your attacking air units.  The tech applies to the infantry, not the base.  The base is simply a requirement to use the tech.

However, I see your point about the consistency of language issue.

• Sponsor

Can Allied planes land on Chinese territories if they are at war?

• @Young:

Can Allied planes land on Chinese territories if they are at war?

If the Ally is at war, yes!

• Official Q&A

If the Ally is at war with Japan.

• If you have transports starting in a seazone that contains a surface ship belonging to a power that you are at war with, can your transports pick up units from a territory bordering that seazone for a combat move?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m