Looking for beta testers for the next version of TripleA

• Customizer

@Lozmoid:

I’m looking forward to the Global 40 playtesting asap, but I ahevn’t downloaded the 1.6 yet as I’ve been too busy this weekend visiting relatives. I will get on the case very soon.

However, I do currently have two instances of TripleA installed: 1_3_2_2 (which I use for 50th Anniversary) and 1_5_2_1 (which I use for Pacific 40). Obviously, I would rather only have the one instance of TripleA so as not to clutter up my C drive too much. What I want to know is, will the new TripleA 1.6 include the previous two versions mentioned above?

Thank you very much in advance.

You have me a little bit confused.

AA50th works on ALL versions of TripleA.

Any map (starting a new game on the map) that works on TripleA 1.3.2.2 will work on any later version of TripleA
    Same with any map that works on TripleA 1.5.2.1 will work with any later version of triplea.

All the changes I make when I release new versions of triplea are “additive”.  Maps made for older version of TripleA will 99.99999% of the time work with a newer version of TripleA.

So you can go ahead and delete TripleA 1.3.2.2 now, unless you still have gamesaves on it to finish.

Everyone who is risk-averse, should be using the latest STABLE version of TripleA for ALL their new games, no matter what the map is.  (The latest stable as of writing this is 1.5.2.1)

Everyone who can accept that there may be unknown bugs, or anyone who wants to help me and help triplea, or anyone who wants to play with the latest version of Global 1940 [with techs, bug fixes, etc], should be using the latest UNSTABLE version of TripleA for ALL their new games against other risk-accepting people, and should also keep using the Stable version of TripleA for games against any risk-averse people.  (The latest unstable as of writing this is 1.6)

hope that makes sense

• TripleA '12

That makes perfect sense, Veqryn, thank you. Sorry for the confusion. I will keep the stable 1.5.2.1 and delete/uninstall the 1.3.2.2. I will also get the new unstable 1.6 asap so I can crack on with the bughunt (and the enjoyment too, of course)!

• TripleA '12

Okay, I may have found a bug here. I am playing:

World War II Global 1940 Alpha 3
    Engine Version: 1.6 Game: World War II Global 1940 Alpha 3 Game Version:2.9

I am Germany against the AI. I had previously purchased a Minor IC upgrade without realising that I needed to have a Minor IC in an original territory to start with. Therefore, the upgrade sat in my ‘mobilization zone’ (for x number of turns) and could only be placed/used once I built a Minor IC in one of my original territories. No problem with that, but perhaps the game shouldn’t let you purchse an upgrade if it knows that you don’t have any eligible ICs.

Also, I noticed that all of my Minor ICs that I captured from the enemy during the game showed a potential to build/place 4 new units during the MNU phase (instead of the usual 3). Now, I understand that this is because the game knows that I have previously purchased a Minor IC upgrade and therefore is treating my potential build as being: 3 new combat units + 1 upgrade = 4. However! The game should realise that it is not legal to upgrade a captured Minor IC, and therefore the potential of 4 builds should in fact be 3.

I have added a save game here. Look at France. It is doing what I described above and yet Normandy Bordeaux is not. They both have captured Minor ICs on them but France shows a potential 4 builds and Normandy Bordeaux shows a potential 3 (which I believe is correct).

Global 1940 BUG.tsvg

• TripleA '12

I also noticed something else which could be wrong…

Same game as post above. I purchased a Minor IC in the original German territory of Romania last turn. During the MNU phase of the current turn, I wish to place new Infantry in the territory as well as upgrade the Minor IC. Can I do both in the same turn? Yes and no. If I build the upgrade first and click ‘OK’ it upgrades immediately, no problem. But then if I try to place new Infantry units, I get the message: “Factory in Romania can’t produce until 1 turn after it is created.” However, the game WILL let me do the Infantry placement first (3 units) and then the upgrade. Seems like a contradiction here. It will also let me do both at the same time. So to summarise, I can do one of the following:

1 - Upgrade, say OK and then cannot place any new combat units

2 - Place new combat units AND upgrade simultaneously

3 - Place new combat units, say OK and then upgrade

A bit strange, methinks. Thanks very much for reading!

• Customizer

There is a difference between a “bug”, and a “user interface inconvenience”, and a “feature request”.

In all TripleA games, you must place your regular units before you place any factories.  You will just have to get used to this.  It is not a bug.  A bug is when the game crashes, or when you units rolled the wrong dice, etc.  Since you can make the legal and correct move by placing your units first then the factory, the game is operating as it should.

As for the issue with the max placement, TripleA adds together the “normal” units you can place, with the “factory” and “bases” units you can place, and just gives you 1 number.  You have to be smart enough to know you can only place 3 infantry there, not 4, and that the 4th spot is reserved for units like air bases and factories and stuff.  Again, not a bug.

I will look into the inconvenience of why the max button says 4 in france but only 3 in normandy (i know it is because you have a factory you can place).  However, it is not a bug because the game still only allows the legal move of 3 infantry there, and it rejects you attempting to place 4.

• TripleA '12

Thanks very much for looking into this. I appreciate that it is not a bug, and I now understand what constitutes such. Forgive me, I am still very new to TripleA and I’m still learning what the program can and cannot do.  :-)

However, I do still think that the issue of upgrading an original Minor IC (AND placing new units at it during the MNU phase) could be handled better. Of the three options I mentioned above, I think option 1 needs to be eliminated, if possible. Why? Well, because I think it is a mistake/wrong that the game will allow you to upgrade the Minor IC, then click ‘OK’, and then not be able to place the new units.

If this can’t be fixed then fair enough, but I think it may confuse new players (and I hope TripleA gets LOTS of new players in the near future). I mean, I now know how to perform this part of the game process but new players may not, and it could mean making the difference between placing new units in the current turn or waiting till the next. And as we all know, one turn can make all the difference.

Thank you again.

• Is there a good forum to suggest changes and such to the program. I have a wish list and a couple of suggestions.

• Customizer

There are several wishlist threads already going on the development forum:
    http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/Forum

i also generally write down what I am planning on working on in the forum, usually in a post in thread for the latest version.

• Hi Veqryn,

In a current game we noticed that the value of Okinawa [1] is not displayed on the map… appears as a 0 IPC territory to the eye (though income is still collected from it).

-MIR

• '21 '19 '18 '17 '16

Hi,

I was playing an online game and noticed that when my opponent attached Paris with two aircraft, the history record showed the AA gun only firing once.  The dice went by pretty fast, so I don’t know if it’s just an error in history recording or the gun only fired once.  I saved the game in progress for you, I hope it shows what seemed to be a bug.  I know in the battle history it shows two German aircraft and the AA gun rolling once to get a five.

Thanks

possible bug from paris.tsvg

• Customizer

@Degrasse:

Hi,

I was playing an online game and noticed that when my opponent attached Paris with two aircraft, the history record showed the AA gun only firing once.  The dice went by pretty fast, so I don’t know if it’s just an error in history recording or the gun only fired once.  I saved the game in progress for you, I hope it shows what seemed to be a bug.  I know in the battle history it shows two German aircraft and the AA gun rolling once to get a five.

Thanks

you have Low Luck for AA guns turned on

lol

• Customizer

i need people to test paratroopers

please use edit mode to give yourself the tech at the start of your turn, then give it a try

the paratrooper movement phase is AFTER the normal movement phase

• @Veqryn:

i need people to test paratroopers

please use edit mode to give yourself the tech at the start of your turn, then give it a try

the paratrooper movement phase is AFTER the normal movement phase

I think it works as is should work. You can see what I tested in the attatched file.

In another test (not attatched) I tested sending two units to one country - with and without AA. Both worked fine, too.

What I am going to test next is sending paratroops to an enemy country without support by land units… that is not allowed and should not work.

test.tsvg

• @P@nther:

What I am going to test next is sending paratroops to an enemy country without support by land units… that is not allowed and should not work.

Works correctly!

Testing support by amphibious assault to follow…

• @P@nther:

Testing support by amphibious assault to follow…

Everything fine so far … no problems!

• Customizer

• @Veqryn:

next version has been released for beta testing,

http://tripleadev.1671093.n2.nabble.com/TripleA-1-7-0-1-Beta-has-been-released-tp7583551.html

Wow, the changelog reads incredibly impressive!
    Thank you, Veqryn!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m