• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

I believe you can infer a lot about someone based on the answer to this question.

Explain your answers in 3 to 4 well-developed sentences. :-)

• George Martin. He was the genius that brought their sound to the public. They all had great talent with Harrison probably less talented.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Oh come on! You had to go with “the 5th Beatle” answer? I knew there would be one of you, I just didn’t think it would be the first one.

And really: Ringo Starr more talented than George Harrison?

And I thought it was just Garg that would say anything to stir the pot.

• Ringo Starr? I said nothing about him, However i did meet him and play drums during a sound check in Tahoe back in the 1990’s

• I’d really like a year off from, The Beatles. I’m just very weary of them.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@frimmel:

I’d really like a year off from, The Beatles. I’m just very weary of them.

What do you mean? Like merchandising and new compilations and whatnot… because in that respect I would definitely agree.

Regarding the topic, I choose Paul McCartney. Besides all his success beyond the Beatles, he has always been my favorite among the four because he was the most normal and likable, had the best voice, was the best looking, played more instruments than the others… He was also the real force of the band  from 68-70. With John effectively abdicating as leader after he met Yoko, it was up to Paul to give the band much of their direction and keep them as cohesive as possible. In the end, it just could not be done, and he realized that, but he tried harder than the others I think up to that point. Plus, his continuing popularity worldwide solidifies him as one of the greatest musicians ever, on an individual level. Very few rise to the level that McCartney is at.

• @LHoffman:

@frimmel:

I’d really like a year off from, The Beatles. I’m just very weary of them.

What do you mean? Like merchandising and new compilations and whatnot… because in that respect I would definitely agree.

I mean I wouldn’t mind not hearing one of their tunes or a cover of one of their tunes for an entire year. If I also saw no evidence of their existence for a year I wouldn’t mind either. The last straw was going to hear this vocal jazz group I love playing with my local symphony orchestra. They covered The Beatles two or three times in the second half. Uggghhhh. And that wasn’t the first time or the first group to do so.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Dung was the best Beatle.

It was his bowel moving magic that made all the right sounds happen.  Acoustical aroma’s will never be the same.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Geeze, I’d hate to how tired you were of the Beatles in the late 60’s frimm.

@frimmel:

I mean I wouldn’t mind not hearing one of their tunes or a cover of one of their tunes for an entire year. If I also saw no evidence of their existence for a year I wouldn’t mind either. The last straw was going to hear this vocal jazz group I love playing with my local symphony orchestra. They covered The Beatles two or three times in the second half. Uggghhhh. And that wasn’t the first time or the first group to do so.

If there is one thing I wouldn’t mind NOT hearing ever again, it would be Beatles covers. Usually they are just bad, because no band is the Beatles and nobody can make the music sound any better than it originally did. Similarly because bands try to make the song their own in some way… which ruins it. Also related to your point, doing Beatles covers has gone beyond cliche. Or they are like Glee and just defile every good piece of music while being a parasite on its success by commercializing their version of it. Need I go on…

They do not play much of the Beatles on the local classic rock station that I like; I think because they know that the Beatles are so well known to the point of overplaying… but when they do play them, it is one of two songs: “Come Together” or “A Day in the Life”, which really annoys me.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Canuck12:

Maybe he thinks the Beatles were “too loud” ?

Considering his tryanical -control-them-all-or-kill-them-all- positions on climate change.

Better not let music get in the way of the authoritative communist state.

• @Canuck12:

I wasn’t born until the late 60’s. I’m just weary of The Beatles. I like music. I was an audio engineer in my misspent youth. I’ve heard a lot and there are a few things I’m just weary of. Surely I’m not alone in having things you wouldn’t mind not hearing all the time.

Re:Hoffman and covers. I was at a jazz quartet show a few weeks ago and the guitarist did a Beatles cover. Because he is a stellar musician and the Beatles did a few good songs  :wink: it wasn’t horrible by any means, just sort of pedestrian. It was a crowd pleaser but I’d have rather he’d gotten a bit off the beaten path.

@frimmel:

@Canuck12:

Re:Hoffman and covers. I was at a jazz quartet show a few weeks ago and the guitarist did a Beatles cover. Because he is a stellar musician and the Beatles did a few good songs  :wink: it wasn’t horrible by any means, just sort of pedestrian. It was a crowd pleaser but I’d have rather he’d gotten a bit off the beaten path.

Yeah, I mean there are people out there who can do it tastefully, particularly jazz musicians. I do agree that it is done to crowd please and is ultimately pedestrian, especially in jazz, which is by its nature opposed to such pandering. Jazz itself is “off the beaten path”, so covering a pop song is somewhat antithetical. But I guess you have to make your money somehow.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Well I personally think it would be nice if everyone got off the beaten path a little more often. Though it seems more and more in art, you just don’t get paid for that shit.

And correct me of I’m wrong, but at the time, the Beatles were anything but “pedestrian.”

@Canuck12:

And correct me of I’m wrong, but at the time, the Beatles were anything but “pedestrian.”

Yeah, that is why they are the best; they completely revolutionized pop/rock music. However, if played enough, even the most original can become trite.

• @Canuck12:

Well I personally think it would be nice if everyone got off the beaten path a little more often. Though it seems more and more in art, you just don’t get paid for that ����.

Yes and that time was forty years ago. Now they are ‘go to’  songs.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@LHoffman:

@Canuck12:

Yeah, that is why they are the best; they completely revolutionized pop/rock music. However, if played enough, even the most original can become trite.

Very much agreed. But I think you must admit, given the state of muisc these days, there are far worse places to ‘go to’ for a crowd pleaser…

@Canuck12:

Very much agreed. But I think you must admit, given the state of muisc these days, there are far worse places to ‘go to’ for a crowd pleaser…

Certainly. Which is why I will always love and appreciate The Beatles. They made darn good music, which remains darn good music no matter how many times it is played or what year you are in. Being surrounded by so much mediocrity, shallowness and similarity in the music industry today, The Beatles can actually be refreshing.

• Plus the evolving Beatle Eras offered different tastes of Beatles music.

In other words, all their music doesn’t always sound the same.  Can’t say that of too many bands.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m