• Hello, I’m new to this site but I was wondering if I could get some advice and suggestions on a problem I’ve noticed while playing. I’m currently at Round 9 in a 3 player A&A Pacific 2nd Edition game with my brothers. While going relatively smoothly I have noticed a problem when we’re doing convoy disruptions. Due to the fact that we save IPCs during our Purchase Units phase there’s a lot of times where a ship or planes in a sea zone with a disruption space will be able to score hits but unfortunately not able to do much because of that savings cushion. It’s admittedly kind of making the mechanic a bit useless even with our other house rules of not requiring enemies to be in the same zone and always having to roll dice hits under 3 to decrease IPCs collected during the Income Phase. I would greatly appreciate help with this. My game would benefit greatly.

• @themightyyamato45 hi and I am glad you are enjoying your new game.
    Convoying an enemy, can be a very worthwhile use of your Subs and other units. Early on , Japan should do it to deny India any income, so it can get the upper hand there and take Calcutta . Also, it can deny Anzac 14 or 1/3 , should it own any or the DEI. Late on in a game , it can help the Allies , by denying Japan the ability to wage aggressive war.
    Can I ask why you save some of your income? That isn’t usually what you do. You spend , spend, spend ! It means you have as many units as possible in play.

• PantherP Panther moved this topic from Player Help on

• Welcome to the forums.

As Witt allready suggested, the more pieces you bring on the board the better.
    Holding back or savings is only good to spend it ob the very next Round for something bigger or expensive.
    But this occasionally happens mostly for the minor Nations such as Anzak and Italy with sometimes very low income.

• @witt Thank you for the reply. And to answer your savings questions there’s three reasons for that. 1st is there’s situations where there will be some IPCs leftover that won’t be able to purchase any unit (I.e one or two). 2nd reason is in the case of smaller powers (and I have noticed someone else has chimed in on this) the limited amount of IPCs is something you might want to save up to invest in larger units later, the ANZAC player in my game has managed to get himself a carrier through saving as an example. 3rd is there are some strategy plans that simply don’t require large amounts of units. Hopefully this clears some things up a bit more. But because of this frequent saving both sides aren’t really able to chew a hole into the other’s economy.

• Welcome to the world of A&A.
    Convoy disruption can devastate your enemies,especially in A&A Pacific SE.Income from almost any territory that touches water can be eliminated.For example,SZ6 beside japan and korea 11 ipcs…ouch!One mistake you may be making,quote"roll dice hits under 3"is wrong.Die rolls of 3 count for a loss of 3 ipcs.Remember subs and air units on a carrier roll 2 dice.
    I hope this helps.

• @ampdrive don’t worry I know that bit. I’m just having problems with how it interacts with the income phase. Me and the other people I play with tend to save IPCs during the purchase units phase either through strategy or not enough leftover to purchase a unit. So more often than not myself and opponents tend to have a small cushion of IPCs to soften any losses taken during collect income phase from convoy disruptions. That’s the issue we’re facing. Although regarding dice rolling is there any situations where you wouldn’t have to roll? Like there’s a certain number of units in a sea zone that would make it impossible for the opponent not to lose IPCs? Hope this clears some details.

• @themightyyamato45 SZ35 (phillipines worth 2ipcs)Once its been convoyed for 2 ,there’s no need to roll more dice.
    Sometimes you have to convoy when you don’t want to.I’ve had to convoy London just before a sealion invasion,thus reducing the amount of ipcs I get from sacking UKs capitol.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m