• Played our first game yesterday with some AAexperienced friends of mine.  Of course, it took us a while to get used to the new rules and such but we made good progress in understanding how this game functions- mechanicwise anyway.

Some concerns:

For the game to go faster Japan needs to know what there doing.  There was a lot of down time because of so many Japanese units to move.  This will get better with time though.  Good idea to write down J1 moves and possible J2 moves ahead of time once people get used to the game- otherwise the UK/ANZAC/US/China player can bring a book or watch some football or something. :-)

J3 or J4 seems like the best time for Japan to attack.  A J1, J2, UK/ANZAC1 or 2 don’t really make much sense- suicide for the player that does.  With this being said, it was kind of a bore for the Allies to wait 3-4 turns to do any rolling dice- not very fun, although understandable.  Hopefully this will work its way out over time also.

• why waith as japan?
    everybody in the lobby wants to waith, nobody sees that a J1 attack does allot more damage than waithing can do?

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

The J1 downtime was an issue in the original AAP as well. My wife and I have both bored each other trying to make all those moves while the other does something else. I think we resorted to the writing down of the J1 moves there as well. That way the other person can at least SEE the moves you’re making instead of coming back to the board and maybe not following everything that happened.

• why waith as japan?
    everybody in the lobby wants to waith, nobody sees that a J1 attack does allot more damage than waithing can do?

Currently, I think it makes sense to wait with Japan. Spend all of your initial time and combat power and annihilate the Chinese while setting up to land a deathblow to Britain when you kick off the war. Even giving Britain all of her money for those initial turns will likely do nothing but provide a higher kill total for Japanese forces later on. The exception MIGHT be if Britain spends all of that money on ground forces and just hunkers down. That is our next strategy to explore but regardless there is no way the Brits can survive a few turns of the Japanese expending maximum effort.

So, the primary reason to wait is to pick apart the Allies piecemeal. Waiting lets you kill the Chinese while setting up to kill the Brits. China should in her death throes just in time to switch focus to the Brits. With any luck the Brits should dying just about the time the US is becoming a threat so that gives Japan time to redeploy to meet that threat. By that time Japan’s econ should be well in hand the game should just be a matter of time.

• Uncle Joe,

I tried beefing up and stacking infantry in India and I still lost it.  However!!, it did take it two turns to fall, and although I was extremely lucky, I got numerous Anti aircraft hits, killing 8-10 planes over the two rounds, about a third of the attacking air force.  Although that is not average rolls, it did do allot for the allies by taking out so much Japanese airpower that he was not able to plop down on newly built carriers later to defend against the USA.

• China is irrelevant.   J1 attack takes away so much $ from the UK / US with territories and bonuses that the US +40 is really a +20 or so net, and who cares about the US being able to buy a carrier extra that isn’t going to be anywhere important for 2 turns?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m