• '17

I can’t locate anything in the rules books stating that China cannot be convoyed by Japanese Submarines. In my online triplea game, ANZAC landed on Manchuria. I didn’t want to re-take back Manchuria the next turn with Japan, so I placed 2 subs in SZ 19 to try to roll convoy dice against China. Triplea did not roll dice for them. Is that correct?

• @Ichabod From the rulebook, Pacific 1940.2, page 16, second paragraph, last sentence:

China is not subject to convoy disruptions (see “Conduct Convoy Disruptions,” page 22).

So yes, TripleA is correct.
    HTH :slightly_smiling_face:

• China is not convoyable at all which I argue is stupid and they should but it’s part of the rule.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

I think there are two potential variants/HRs here

1. all coastal squares are convoy squares
    2. all NO bonuses for India, Spice, Iron, Leningrad (etc.–all NOs that can be logically connected to a coastal territory) can also be conveyed away

Example of #2
    If Germany would earn the Norway/Denmark Bonus during the Collect Income phase, then the Convoy space in SZ 125 can destroy up to 8 income, not 3.

• @Caesar-Seriona said in [House Rules] China Convoy Zones?:

China is not convoyable at all which I argue is stupid and they should but it’s part of the rule.

I disagree. China isI disagree. China is completely contained within itself (+Burma & Kwangtung) so it makes sense that it isn’t affected by convoys. Also, China could not do anything about ships being parked off its coast so it seems to make some sense game-wise. Of course, China can’t reclaim the Burma Road if India is lost so you can argue that it shouldn’t matter - I don’t love that rule. completely contained within itself (+Burma & Kwangtung) so it makes sense that it isn’t affected by convoys. Also, China could not do anything about ships being parked off its coast so it seems to make some sense game-wise. Of course, China can’t reclaim the Burma Road if India is lost so you can argue that it shouldn’t matter - I don’t love that rule.

@taamvan said in [House Rules] China Convoy Zones?:

I think there are two potential variants/HRs here

1. all coastal squares are convoy squares
    2. all NO bonuses for India, Spice, Iron, Leningrad (etc.–all NOs that can be logically connected to a coastal territory) can also be conveyed away

Example of #2
    If Germany would earn the Norway/Denmark Bonus during the Collect Income phase, then the Convoy space in SZ 125 can destroy up to 8 income, not 3.

Yeah, you could conceive an infinite number of house rules. I don’t see the need for change here.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

The need would be that most of Germany’s income isn’t vulnerable, which makes the KGF unfavorable. But I do agree with you, most house rules (esp. those invented by others) seem like extras and complications, to me.

• '19 '17 '16

@taamvan said in [House Rules] China Convoy Zones?:

The need would be that most of Germany’s income isn’t vulnerable, which makes the KGF unfavorable. But I do agree with you, most house rules (esp. those invented by others) seem like extras and complications, to me.

In part I see what you’re getting at. It gives the allies an incentive to park 4+ subs in SZ125 and/or a fleet with CVs. However, if they can do that, then wouldn’t they be doing an amphibious assault? I suppose in the case where there is a huge land force on Norway, which I have done once, it may make sense.

• @simon33 China is not convoyable due to balance because the Chinese cannot stop the Axis from Convoying them, that’s why the rule forbids it. The reason why it’s stupid is because every single territory is containable within itself yet are convoyable.

• '19 '17 '16

I can’t decipher your last sentence.

• '21 '20 '18 '17

@simon33

They can also take the Denmark, Finland, Holland et al money with this proposal. Also for example, SZ 112 and 126? would be connected to Norway $, making the placement of convoying units more flexible. Youre right that mostly the money will be taken by the proper force, not convoyed, but this proposal increases the value of subs and puts a lot more money on the line. I agree in principle that the convoy zones chosen by the creator are themey and appropriate but its easy to go further and put alot more $$ at risk on the board sea/land.

I put a russian sub down in Game 191 just for fun (it cost me later) and I did successfully blow up both and all possible Normandy/norway money for one turn. What if the baltic was like that? This also goes back to Dave’s idea of splitting the adriatic (so to nerf taranto and divide Italy $$ into two convoy zones)

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m