What size map should I buy for GW1936?

• What size map should I buy for Global War 1936? I am trying to decide. Should it be 36" x 72" (3 ft by 6 ft) or 48" x 72" (4 ft by 8 ft)?

• '18 '17 '16

In this video I show the smaller map which I wasn’t happy with. I didn’t see how I could possibly find enough room for the larger map but wasn’t happy with the small size.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFIRXYTyoBw&t=1782s

In this video I show how I was able to overcome the lack of room and build a table for the larger map in the same space. You can see the difference of the 2 maps.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GktU58GmJo&t=409s

You can see what the larger map looks like with the pieces on it in this video. If you can possibly find enough room go with the larger map. There are a lot more different types of units in this game than A&A so there isn’t as much opportunity to use chips to gain space. You still use chips but you may have more types of sculpts in each territory or sea zone.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GktU58GmJo&t=409s

• I agree with GHG, go with the larger map if possible.
    (I wouldn’t play on the smaller one)

• GHG, I have already seen the 1st video. For the reasons you stated, I was leaning toward the larger map. GW1936 has many small territories, additional special unit types, & 3D bases require more room.  I have watched most of the table video but was thinking of maybe something other than a table topper. My wife may have to get a new dinning table to go with her new oven.  :evil:

• @Munck:

I agree with GHG, go with the larger map if possible.
    (I wouldn’t play on the smaller one)

I would go with the 4 x 8 as guys have said. Without seeing any videos if this was not mentioned cut your 4 x 8  piece of 7 ply sanded one side plywood into 2 pieces and just lay on top of another table.

• @Undercover:

What size map should I buy for Global War 1936? I am trying to decide. Should it be 36" x 72" (3 ft by 6 ft) or 48" x 72" (4 ft by 8 ft)?

The 4’ x 8’ map is one foot wider and two feet longer than the 3’ x 6’ map which it doesn’t seem a lot but it makes a huge difference. The overall square footage is 32sf compare to 18sf which makes it 78% bigger. Think about that for a second. All the territories and sea zones are 78% bigger.

I don’t have the map yet as I am waiting for the updated one with the new railroads and other minor changes but I for sure would get the bigger one.

• '17

There are many more territories than in AnA global 1940. If you go with the large map these landzones are roughly the same size as G40, even though there are more of them. I have not used the smaller map but I still wish some areas were larger on the big map. Especially when Russia and Germany are going at each other , or Japan is working it’s way through China. The 4x8 foot map is the way to go if you have the space for it, table will be a foot wider and 2 feet longer…

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17

Beating a dead horse here, but yes, go with the bigger one if you can.

Yes, it’s very big. I find it hard to find somewhere to set it up! But as others have said, some boards on top of a table work just fine. I hope to one day have a table dedicated to this map, but that’s not now :)

My main reason for saying the larger map is because it’ll make your games look cleaner. There are so many units and buildings, it can certainly become cluttered, as I think we all know with AA40 in Western Europe. You’ll be happy with the extra space I’m sure. Even if it isn’t strictly “needed”, it’ll still help your games out.

Also, my usual default is “why would I NOT get the bigger and better version?!” :)

• Just ordered the BIG MAP.  :-D

• Map arrived 10/19/18. 3 days from order to arrival of big map.

Now I just have to get home to it!  :roll:

• '20 '19 '18 '16 '15 '11 '10

Don’t even fool around. Get the big one. I don’t play '36 but I have '39. As long as you have the room, the big map rules.

• Opened my package!  :-D
    The charts with the game are thicker than I expected. Real nice quality. The map is huge with nice detail. I have no regrets.
    My wife asked, “Where are you going to put that?”  :? “Don’t worry. I’ll figure out where.”  :lol:

• :-D Pictures

thumbnail 2.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg

• '17 Customizer

Any idea when in 2019 one can one expect the new version of the map from HBG with the air/naval bases printed on the map?

• '18 '17 '16

HBG’s post on Facebook said it was summer 2019. It seems like all of the game manufacturers are overly optimistic about game release dates though. Hopefully this one is accurate.

• @Moffett:

Any idea when in 2019 one can one expect the new version of the map from HBG with the air/naval bases printed on the map?

Maybe! Hopefully?  :roll: I know HBG posted their video talking about printing starting setup bases on the map, but as you can see they are definitively not shipping them yet.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m