• '17

Lately it seems some Axis players have been purchasing a German Navy on round 1 and then they declare war on Russia later like round 3 or 4 because Germany builds navy. Germany then “threatens” London, but the real objective is Cairo and the middle east.

As a counter to that growing threat, would it not makes sense for the UK to hit Iraq round 1 instead of other options being:

1. Activate Persia
    2. Kill Ethiopia
    3. Taranto and Ethiopia
    4. Acivate Perisa and Hit Iraq (risky). You have to use the mech at Egypt and pick up the tank and an infantry from the med. Likely to not capture without taking a plane hit.

Obviously doing Ethiopia and Taranto assumes risk. Maybe the same as Iraq and Taranto?

Anyways, what are the thoughts on Iraq UK1?

• '18 '17 '16

I always hit Iraq and Persia on the UK1. Always.
    UK2 I have 2 transports in the Middle East and 4-6 units to head back to Africa to clean up the Italians with the help of all of the air left over from Taranto plus a fighter and tac bomber from Calcutta after they nail Iraq. Rome rarely survives past turn 5-6.
    The only way they survive is if Germany sends units down to the Med to save their butts. If that happens then they don’t take Moscow in time.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

I’m not sure I even understand the reason for hitting Iraq UK1. What’s the rush? It’s pro-Axis neutral and no Axis power can reach them to activate them before UK2, so those 3 neutral infantry aren’t going anywhere. You can clean them up more or less at your convenience. What’s the appeal for an early attack on Iraq? Use it as a factory site? Collect the extra 2 IPCs? Somebody clue me in, please.

• '18 '17 '16

It’s the setup for the Middle earth strategy;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4vpY_DGQJY&t=288s

• '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Your top priority is to protect Egypt.

You do this by attacking threats to Egypt (Tobruk or Taranto).  Neutrals are not a threat.

Take Iraq for the $2 when you get around to it using the Persian troops.

Don’t forget that once in a while you may want to use Iraq to strafe/retreat troops to Transjordan.

DO NOT build a factory in Iraq unless it is late game and you are CERTAIN not to lose to the enemy.

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

General Hand Grenade, I just watched your 50-minute Middle Earth strategy video, and I’ll save most of my comments for the main Middle Earth thread, but I have to ask here on the Iraq thread:

What the heck does a UK1 attack on Iraq have to do with Middle Earth? You don’t build a factory in Iraq. You don’t build a naval base in Iraq. You don’t march or blitz any troops through Iraq. So what on earth do you need early control of Iraq for? The 2 IPCs? You’re collecting 37 IPCs on turn 1 (up Iraq, Persia, and NO) and 30 IPCs (up Iraq and Persia, down Sudan and Kenya) on turn 2, for a total of 67 European UK IPCs.

If instead of Persia + Iraq you hit Persia + Ethiopia on turn 1, then you collect 36 IPCs on turn 1 (up Persia, Ethiopia, and NO) and 38 IPCs (up Iraq, Persia, Ethiopia, and NO) on turn 2, for a total of 74 European UK IPCs. Even if you can’t manage your NO, you still have 69 total IPCs…more total cash.

So why attack Iraq on turn 1?

• '17

I guess the only thing I like about the Iraq/Persia combo is that the 2 transports are together and the rest of the UK navy that was either not killed or used in the med is all stacked together.

The thing I don’t like about Iraq / Persia is that you can only bring 3 ground units to Iraq. Maybe I just don’t like this plan as much for playing triplea since there are so many more outlier dice results. Iraq getting 3 defending hits is a much more likely scenario in triplea than throwing actual dice.

• I try to save Iraq for USSR.

• '17

@Argothair:

I’m not sure I even understand the reason for hitting Iraq UK1. What’s the rush? It’s pro-Axis neutral and no Axis power can reach them to activate them before UK2, so those 3 neutral infantry aren’t going anywhere. You can clean them up more or less at your convenience. What’s the appeal for an early attack on Iraq? Use it as a factory site? Collect the extra 2 IPCs? Somebody clue me in, please.

You dont understand…here are some other reasons why besides stacking UK Navy together. Remember, Im not advocating this plan, just discussing it as opposed to traditional UK1 moves.

Do to the turn order and where the German Navy is, Italy could land on Syria or Trans/Jordan followed by German planes. And that is right next to a replenishment of 3 more Infantry if Iraq wasnt taken. German Navy could be threatening Cairo while Italy is close to walking into Iraq. Very unlikely scenarios against a good allies player. However, eliminating Iraq immediately takes away a vantage and could persuade the Axis player to not mess with Cairo and the ME.

I understand that to be one of the reasons to take Iraq as soon as possible.

• @Ichabod:

I understand that to be one of the reasons to take Iraq as soon as possible.

I get that, though wonder why chance it UK1 instead of UK2?  Nothing the Axis can do gets them to Iraq before UK2, and then the UK can hit it with an extra unit or two via Persia.

Would a failed attack on Iraq mean German/Italian planes could land there since it’ll be activated?

• I would be concerned about bad dice rolls and losing too many UK ground troops.  If you lost three of them in the battle, Cairo might fall.  I would rather use those forces to attack Ethiopia to reduce the number of Italian troops that can threaten Egypt.  At least if that battle goes poorly, you likely will have taken out at least a couple of those pesky troops.

• '21 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

@Ichabod:

Lately it seems some Axis players have been purchasing a German Navy on round 1 and then they declare war on Russia later like round 3 or 4 because Germany builds navy. Germany then “threatens” London, but the real objective is Cairo and the middle east.

As a counter to that growing threat, would it not makes sense for the UK to hit Iraq round 1 instead of other options being:

1. Activate Persia
    2. Kill Ethiopia
    3. Taranto and Ethiopia
    4. Acivate Perisa and Hit Iraq (risky). You have to use the mech at Egypt and pick up the tank and an infantry from the med. Likely to not capture without taking a plane hit.

Obviously doing Ethiopia and Taranto assumes risk. Maybe the same as Iraq and Taranto?

Anyways, what are the thoughts on Iraq UK1?

Iraq UK1 is an unnecessary risk. If you activate Persia UK1, you can attack Iraq UK2 with free troops and thus Egypt is better defended on UK1. You don’t lose your valuable airplanes rushing the attack. Turn order gives you the edge over Italy’s Syria landing.

Marsh

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m