Is there currently an average bid(or even a bid) in G40 2nd edition

• '19 '17 '16

Are you a little slow? The extra fighter gives Germany two options:
    a) Attack both SZ110 and SZ111. If both are evenly weighted a full scramble will be probable and the Luftwaffe will be decimated.
    b) Attack one and let the other escape.

As I originally posted. What part is confusing you?

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Full scram in 111 an 110 is always dicey.  Germany should win, losing some planes.  But more often in my experience it tends to be a rout either way, i.e. the UK is decimated or too much of the Luftwaffe is shot down.

• Agreed with Karl7 that the full scramble option is extremely dicey, especially with an extra fighter in Scotland.  In such a case, there is about a 30% chance that one of the German air groups will get annihilated, leaving behind most of the scrambling Allied planes with no damage.  Potentially you can see that round 1 was not in Germany’s favor, but it always seems that the first set of dice are just slightly bad so you press your luck with a continued attack.  It is so painful to leave behind a tipped UK battleship that can get repaired quickly that you want to see if round 2 can equalize the luck.

It is so hard to play as the Axis after losing five planes on G1.  It opens up way too many strategies for Russia and the UK to choose from on the first round.  Sea Lion is off the table and you don’t have to worry about Moscow falling on G6.  On the flip side, losing five Allied fighters on the first round is also extremely painful.  If the German SZ117 can sink the Canadian transport/destroyer, Sea Lion all of a sudden becomes a piece of cake for the Axis.  Alternatively they can go Dark Skies and the Allies will struggle to land until relatively late in the game.

I personally skip the German SZ111 attack with the Scotland fighter build and instead purchase an extra sub in SZ112 and a couple bombers that can likely chase down the fleet on G2.  I hate having to play a whole game trying to recover from -5 German planes on G1.  Blah!

• '19 '17 '16

Running the numbers, if you assault as follows:
    SZ111: Sub, BB, 2ftr, 2tac: 72% +12.3TUV
    SZ110: 2Sub, 2ftr, 2tac, 2SB: 90% +30.2TUV

You should still win both battles 64% of the time as Germany. It’s a little better with an extra SB to SZ111.

That’s still a pretty risky assault for Germany. I reckon it would work out to a 90% chance of losing at least 2 planes or even worse.

I think the wise course for Germany becomes to concentrate on one of the fleets, the SZ110 one which leaves your SZ124 sub with nothing to do unless you want to gamble on hitting SZ109. So it really does weaken Germany’s initial assault on the UK significantly. ABH has the wise move, I think.

The downside for the UK with the scramble is that they lose the entire RAF unless of course Germany retreats or gets the minority outcome. I think that’s a price worth paying. How will Germany kill USSR with such a hit G1? Makes it more difficult.

• '19 '18 '17

Interesting building a fighter in Scotland.

I have not scrambled the UK in either of my games because I felt that the Germans could just adjust where they wanted to go with the aircraft they have. The Ger can still pick and choose ignoring that zone.

Will not killing the one UK BB make that much of a difference in Ger getting to Moscow?

• '19 '17 '16

Good question AA Gamer. I guess keeping it alive means it’s easier to keep a shuck going to Normandy and perhaps Holland. Germany then bleeds a little from needing to constantly fight this force.

Not sure what you mean about Germany could adjust where they attack? After you scramble, there is no more opportunity to change your attacks. Are you talking about attacks on later rounds?

• '19 '18 '17

What I mean Simon is before they issue there orders you have a general idea if they might scramble or not–its just a feeling really – and you could then send more units to the other battle and not waste sending to the Scotland area is all I was saying.

• '17

@AAGamer:

What I mean Simon is before they issue there orders you have a general idea if they might scramble or not–its just a feeling really – and you could then send more units to the other battle and not waste sending to the Scotland area is all I was saying.

That’s fine too. If the UK doesn’t scramble after all. You still have an extra fighter.

Recently I’ve signed on to the Scotland fighter bid.

• '19 '18 '17

So my question is this. With all these great ideas what is a good bid for the allies?

I mean:
    1 fighter in Scotland
    1 Inf in Dutch East Indies

What else? a sub for UK off Egypt? 6 armor in Russia?

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

In over 300 games under the belt, bid always goes to Mediterranean theater.

Usually:

1 sub w/Brit fleet off Egypt.

Artillery w/army in Alexandria

Tank w/army in Egypt

if more, another sub w/Cruiser off Gibraltar

Maybe transport off South Africa

Never got the fighter in Scotland that I can recall.  Germany has an extra sub to play with, so you plunk a ftr in Scot means it comes back to channel battles instead of doubling down on dd and trn off Canada.  Not very effective.

• TripleA

Personally I like 2 subs… lately I like to full scramble so the 2 subs to attack round 1 (because my air is dead) is welcome.

I take extra money and shove it on london itself because I am yoloing.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

I have seen some guys doing all sub bids. If you can get the bid to 30 -  5 subs with all major fleets can do alot of damage, and can really assist UK / hamper axis early; And make G1 painful to plan.

1 off canada,
    2 off UK with fleets,
    1 off gibraltar,
    1 with med fleet

• '19 '17 '16

@Gargantua:

I have seen some guys doing all sub bids. If you can get the bid to 30 -  5 subs with all major fleets can do alot of damage, and can really assist UK / hamper axis early; And make G1 painful to plan.

1 off canada,
    2 off UK with fleets,
    1 off gibraltar,
    1 with med fleet

Sounds like a sub-standard strategy to me….  :-P

I’ll be here all week, folks.

• @StuckTojo:

@Gargantua:

I have seen some guys doing all sub bids. If you can get the bid to 30 -�  5 subs with all major fleets can do alot of damage, and can really assist UK / hamper axis early; And make G1 painful to plan.

1 off canada,
    2 off UK with fleets,
    1 off gibraltar,
    1 with med fleet

Sounds like a sub-standard strategy to me….�  :-P

LOL

You are very witty good sir.

:-D

PS: is there a cover charge at your next gig?

• '19 '17 '16

@PainState:

@StuckTojo:

@Gargantua:

I have seen some guys doing all sub bids. If you can get the bid to 30 -� � 5 subs with all major fleets can do alot of damage, and can really assist UK / hamper axis early; And make G1 painful to plan.

1 off canada,
    2 off UK with fleets,
    1 off gibraltar,
    1 with med fleet

Sounds like a sub-standard strategy to me….� � :-P

LOL

You are very witty good sir.

:-D

PS: is there a cover charge at your next gig?

Nope.  Just keep feeding me whisky.  :-D

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m