• Oh god it never ends… ill get to it.

• also, I downloaded out the latest map

I see the new VC icons
    it doesn’t have setup icons, so I guess you haven’t done your proposed setup changes yet

remember to use the new layered file before going further
    otherwise you’ve just wiped off the latest changes
    http://www.mediafire.com/?e1xmghigxzz

try to follow closer  :wink:

• Heres the post i didn’t finish the other day:

People who learn this for the first time need to be explained this in the rules. Everything must be explained fully at least once. Straight and Canal must have a section and be explained.
    Canals and waterways are really just map specific features.
    I didn’t add it previously cos it can be ridiculous and not make sense.

It wouldn’t be as bad if we had double-red-line and double-green-line symbols for them as a standard.

Anyway I’ll add a Canals paragraph near the Strait Interdiction paragraph.

Still you should add symbols to the map so people won’t forget.

But then you must explain this in the rules ( a section regarding the map symbols along with these rules)

Symbols don’t mean anything unless you attach meaning to them.

Explain when somebody is gonna have money that they don’t save? What benefit would it have for them to lose it?

remember the preceding sentence
    you can only save money at victory cities
    so can’t leave money laying around at just any territory

OH that rule is no good at all. too much to account for and adding absolutely nothing to the game at all. Allow any saved income to be saved as reserves. Under this you would have to account for yet another thing that does not add anything to the game.

Defender needs to declare his retreat intentions first, followed by attacker. That way you cut all this out… as either player can retreat partially or in full.

“Attacker followed by defender” is a pretty much everywhere in the game.
    We’ll have to think twice before changing that.

Making defender decide first is probably not realistic.
    They are defending, without logistic concerns. They are not forced to make decisions before the attacker.

The attacker is the active army. The defender is committed to fight or flee under the stress of battle. If you look at it it makes more sence, because the trick is the defender retreats and the attackers efforts are rewarded by the capture of the territory, but in game terms this will ‘trap’ good units for counterattack that would be unrealistic. For example: you attack with tanks and infantry and capture after defender retreats. The defender on his turn attacks likely from a weaken position bringing in only infantry against tanks and some planes, using the infantry as soaks to just kill off the ‘goodies’ with no intention of actually doing anything. IN the real war the only way to fight tanks is with tanks/ artillery. Infantry melted in battle against armor divisions, because its like muskets against machine guns.

Here’s a new idea: in attacks where you go after armor and you don’t have armor/artillery you should get a negative modifier for each number of tanks that outnumber your army. Example: if you attack 3 tanks with 2 infantry and 1 artillery, then say two of those rolls should have some penalty. just an idea.

Any way it fixes alot is issues to just have attacker decide what he does after the defender first declares his intentions.
    Thats exactly what created the combat opportunity in the first place. It would be consistent.

But if either side rolls out for combat, they must enter the vacated territory unless they have the extra movement point left over (armor) this is equitable for both sides.

Lol. I see where this is coming from.
    Defender-retreat-first gives the attacker advantage and you want to minimize that.

OK under what you already wrote the attacker has the choice to not even move into the new territory. Thats an immense advantage far beyond what i propose. Under what you wrote the defender can totally retreat, and the attacker can just leave the territory empty and allow his planes to defend from his original territory. this is static warfare and will not be fun.

The way it is currently, I just don’t think its not historical.
    You are not forced to remain behind by an invisible force.
    Tactical victory for A, strategic victory for B.

No victory at all. The attacker can choke on his first rolls and the defender retreats and nothing is gained except a new empty space, with the defender able to still get the IPC.

IN my view the combat is occurring already inside the defending territory., so the idea that the defender retreats and the attacker is basically also retreating from the territory… like they are scared chickens. not good.

A bunch of infantry skirmishes with air suport and retreats. It killed the enemy but it can afford to remain behind and get surrounded by tanks, blocking retreat (AARHE capture roll).

Its already in the territory by moving into it. That amounts to a free move for infantry to be able to jump out. It already went against tanks and ‘won’ and now they  “just run away to avoid capture” by these same tanks? This is not good modeling of warfare.

• as previously promised I move the AARHE discussion back to the house rules
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=7188.msg281622#msg281622

thread here shall be only about AARHE 1939

• I honestly belive that in AARHE 1939 the opponents should be able to share territories like they do in A&A D-day. Germany can atttack Ukrain with tanks and inf, and if some russians survive, tha Germans may choose to end the attack, and just stay there and share territory with Russia. Next turn Russia must decide to attack this force, retreat the survivors, or just continue to share terrotory. This will end the back and forth strafe attacks with two inf and a plane.

• I agree. Co-existing rules are fine. Would that solve the problem of retreats? I hate the “empty zone of 500 sq miles battle result” where a huge battle took place and both sides vanish after combat. That looks terrible. Lets use that co-exist rule from earlier.

• @Imperious:

Make sure to add the 1939 set up and include one extra UK infantry in India and Transjordan
    Also give the US player one destroyer to the south west of Hawaii to block Japanese from going from the south to attack the American carrier group. ( its a block)
    Give France 2 extra Infantry in france.
    Thats the balanced fix on the setup.

ok I updated the tables
    2008-03-03 rules
    http://home.exetel.com.au/cometo/aarhe/20080303_AARHE_1939.doc

I took the latest file
    (layered, has setup icons, has the changes like Midway)

*added the UK, US and France setup changes
    *added the stanardised canal and strait icons as you wanted them explained in the template rules file
    *added your new VC icons (the map you uploaded with the new VC icons has no setup icons and was based on an older file that didn’t have changes like Midway)

2008-03-03 AI
    http://www.mediafire.com/?fgxdbbvdxxo

2008-03-03 PNG
    http://home.exetel.com.au/cometo/aarhe/maps/20080303_AARHE_1939_100dpi.png

2008-03-03 PNG with setup
    http://home.exetel.com.au/cometo/aarhe/maps/20080303_AARHE_1939_with_setup_100dpi.png

• OK we just need to doc. file for the main rules including the NA’s.

• why this stippled line that divide Germany and Poland ?

• It means nothing in terms of the German player. IN the case of both Germany and or Poland these territories allow co-existing enemies ( in Poland the Soviets occupy east Poland and the Germans occupy west. In this case the territory is two spaces until one player captures both sides.

IN Germany case its the same thing the Soviets may need this for historical victory conditions, and this allows the Germans to retreat to west Germany and still have some production. If any player owns both sides of Germany then they are not separate territories.

These are the only cases where this exists. Note it allows for quick mobilization across Germany to either front.

• I reduced the opacity of the Victory cities to 40% because IMO they were too loud to the surrounding colors.

I will update file on page 1.

http://www.mediafire.com/?yc0yxc4bntp

• you’re confusing me
    I downloaded the new 1939 map with dimmed VCs

and…its the old file again!

last time this happned I also asked but you still haven’t explained
    are you rolling back the map? don’t like all the changes we made in the last month or 2?

you took 35 clicks to change the VCs
    I did the same in 5 seconds! :wink:
    (select VC layer, unlock, select all, enter new opacity)

I learned the powerful illustrator because of AARHE
    you introduced me to illustrator!

.ai file (please use)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?fbibcuufemz

I’ve put updated the 1939 PNG exports at
    http://home.exetel.com.au/cometo/aarhe/maps/

another thing, can I ask you to date the files instead of funny names like
    final print final version copy copy copy.ai

• For aestethics reasons, I think Spain should have two mountainpasses, one pass to France and another one to Vichy. The way it is now confuse me. Caucasus has two passes, one to Turkey and another to Iran, why cant Spain have two, too ?

• The line is clearly in the middle. It applied to both cases already. So any movement from france to Spain is limited to 2 land units

• @tekkyy:

another thing, can I ask you to date the files instead of funny names like
    final print final version copy copy copy.ai

Tekkyy I’ve seen you ask this same thing at least 4-5 times now. I’m a graphic designer and appreciate how difficult it is to keep multiple file versions straight without concise labeling. Labeling files final print final copy copy copy is just begging to have changes get dropped. Guess how I know this?

Come on IL… help the poor guy out. ~ZP

• oh crap? I asked 4-5 times already? lets hope IL is not annoyed  :wink:

since you’re a graphics designer, can you teach me how to make IL’s new avatar?
    maybe I’ll make one with the AARHE map

• Zero please make a AARHE 1939 map as a globe avatar. It will be my new avatar and you will get the caption:

“This Avatar is created by the worlds greatest Avatar designer: Zero Pilot”

I didnt make it i took it from larry Harris. I am just waiting for millions of you suckers to start using it. :mrgreen:

OK now the point of this post:

1. I will do this on my next file upload. You know that wont be long so it wont matter anyway.

Tekkyy can ask me 1 billion times. He has earned my trust, My total commitment to the project, He is my #1 respected dude who ever worked with me. If we were soldiers in a war Id make sure he didn’t get shot.

• @Imperious:

Zero please make a AARHE 1939 map as a globe avatar. It will be my new avatar and you will get the caption:

“This Avatar is created by the worlds greatest Avatar designer: Zero Pilot”

I didnt make it i took it from larry Harris. I am just waiting for millions of you suckers to start using it. :mrgreen:

IL come to your senses man!!!  We’re no match to the superior resources of Larry Harris!!!  :evil:

Besides… I’m too busy watching my new avatar spin. :-D  ~ZP

• OK now i got yours. :mrgreen:

• @Imperious:

If we were soldiers in a war Id make sure he didn’t get shot.

So we are all in this war now, and you as commander must choose between this tekkyy character and your little brother, as who of them must lead this mad and suicidal kamikaze front-attack against the enemy dug-in mg-nest. So you allready promised tekkyy he’s not get shot, and your bros up to get his as s waxed. So what you think your mummy is gonna say now ? You sacrifice your little brother just to save the anglo-white as s of some house-rule master ?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m