• 2024 2023 '22 '21

This is an Optional Rule as part of the Axis & Allies Global 1940 House Rules Expansion.

The rule concerns:

• Germany
    • Soviet Union
    • United Kingdom
    • Italy

The Flak Tower rule has been play tested during 18 Global 1940 games already - and the final play testing is expected to end in Late 2024.

G40 Flak Tower.pdf

• 2023 '22 '21 '20 '19 '18

@The-Captain

hmm …

I don’t like the 10 hits and can’t be destroyed. Well, you guys still testing

The fact it gets full power when damaged doesn’t seem right to me

Edit
    What is the incentive to damage it ?

"Even when a Flak Tower unit is damaged at its
    maximum Damage Capacity (10 damage hits) it is
    still fully operational. "

Italics won’t work lol

@The-Captain

so they can take 10 hits and then you have to start killing dudes. Yea … idk

Is this to help russia?

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

@barnee

The maximum number of Damage Hits is 5 - not 10.

This is now corrected in the rules.

The Flak Tower rule is added in order to reflect the massive AAA defense systems that protected Berlin, Moscow and London.

Based on the fact that Flak Towers are still standing in Berlin today since they seem in-destructable, it seemed more realistic that the Flak Towers cannot be chosen as casualties.

Concerning the Flak Tower defense at “1” against enemy Fighter units and “2” against enemy Tactical Bomber & Strategic Bomber units - this reflects the various defensive AAA guns that the Flak Towers included:

Example:

• 20 mm Flakvierling 38: defend against enemy Fighters
    • 128 mm Flak 40: defend against enemy Bombers

For game play & game balance reasons, we have added Southern Italy (Rome) to the Flak Tower rule.

The Flak Tower rule also adds a Historical dimension to the game.

As our game experience shows, usually an attack against an enemy Capital only occurs once in a game - as a final assault to end the War.

In other words - the Flak Tower rule is mostly used only once in each game.

• @The-Captain

Nice. Seems historically accurate.

What happens when a territory with a Flak Tower is captured? Is it destroyed ala Chinese industrial complexes in out of box or can the occupying power use them?

@The-Captain

Right on. I think I have it figured now. Bit of a jag on last night :)

One question though. If the Capital falls, the Tower would just become inoperable for the Victor ? If Capital is liberated, then it’d be back in action ?

Unlikely to happen, but plausible :)

I just need to find an image now. i don’t ever remember seeing one in triplea. It won’t work without some edit but thats ok. People make it that far in the game, they’ll know what edits all about lol

Edit
    Oh yea, does this make sealion a nonstarter now ?

Edit 2
    Hmmm … thinking some more, the othe aaGuns don’t get to shoot, so a bit of an advantage to the Tower. Maybe 1 more plane kill. 1 more extra hp compared to the 4 Inf you could buy. But then you lose the Home Defense for the Inf.

I guess, it’s actually pretty close to a wash then.

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

@barnee

If the Capital falls the game is most often over - even if the Capital is re-captured - since there is no money to purchase new units - so the Capital would eventually fall again.

Concerning Sealion:
    We have a German Strategy for the Sealion that involves German Landing Craft units.
    Even when the Germans put everything in their arsenal for Sealion, the UK player would be able to defend against the invasion - since the Home Defense rule and the Bristish 1st Tank Army would be ready for defense in Late 1940 or Early 1941.
    The UK player also has an option to place Mines in United Kingdom - this would reduce the effectiveness of German Landing Craft units.

Remember:
    If Landing Craft units attack across a sea zone, this sea zone must be clear from enemy surface naval units from the start of the turn.

In other words:
    A single UK surface naval unit would prevent the German Landing Craft units from attacking…

We haven’t seen a UK Flak Tower yet - due to the scenario described above.

• @The-Captain

You still haven’t answered the question. If a capital falls, does the occupying power control the flak tower? It may not matter, but you need to cover all hypothetical questions.

• It Says never destroyed. So the attacker gets the flak and with any damage if they capture the capital since they were very hard to destroy.

• @General-6-Stars

Thank you for clarifying!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

The Flak Tower rules have been clarified concerning capturing by enemy forces.

The pdf file is updated today.

• @The-Captain

Thank you!

• 2024 2023 '22 '21

This is a picture of the newest Expansion unit: Flak Tower.

This picture origins from the Global 1943 Expansion Revised Edition.

IMG_7237.JPG

• @The-Captain

Nice!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m