• @P@nther
    I was thinking about the whole buying and switching thread, and was trying to be coy about it :)
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=39954.15

If I am being serious, When it comes to rules, I believe in playing the rules as written, not intended. That is how laws work, that is how rules should work. If the rules are wrong, they should be amended in an errata, maybe in an FAQ, and certainly not in a random post in a random forum thread. Reading and arguing about intent of rules just lead to a mess in my experience. People will tend to understand the rules as is best for them, without realizing that is what they are doing. People will not remember what their position was last time the rare situation came up.

• I see our standpoints are very close. :-)

I just think that the rules and FAQ as of now are very clear. That is what allows for answering most of the rules questions by quoting from the rules/FAQ.
    And in the past the discussion in random threads often has brought additional issues and clearness to the rules/FAQ.

But you are not wrong … we have sort of a proverb here saying about “Ask five lawyers and you will get six different answers”.
    I am not blaming lawyers here, actually lawyers said that to me. It’s just about having different interpretations of written law/rules.

• Official Q&A

@Kreuzfeld:

However, I just discovered that reading the rules in the only logical way did not give the correct answer because “Krieg said so”. If you remember the thread where we talked about intentionally building too many troops, so you could chose what you wanted to place later.

I take it then that you don’t consider the official FAQ to be part of “the rules”?

• If you are talking about the links below, then I consider them part of the rules. They have an Errata part, and some clarifying questions.

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/ah/AA_Pacific_1940_2nd_Edition_FAQ.pdf
    http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/ah/aaeurope1940_2ndedition_faq.pdf

The trouble comes when you are talking about the forum threads below is that they are difficult to find and not as official. If I buy a game, I expect the errata to be available on the game’s homepage. It is unlikely that I would know that there exists this forum called harrisgamedesign where the designer of the game have written an additional errata. In the thread below, the first post was last edited in 2011. I actually do now know if there are any more clarifications hidden in any of the more than 300 pages of posts in the three threads.  Even the first post in one of the treads says that the FAQ is temporary, until the alphaproject is done. I dont know if it is done yet, and having to now think about 1 set of rules, 2 FAQ lists and more than 400 posts would make any rulelawyer go mad. So i decide instead that I only consider offically published rules and erratas on the Avalon Hill home page as official rules.
    http://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=4278
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=28562.0
    https://www.harrisgamedesign.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=4280

• Official Q&A

I agree that the rulebooks and FAQs comprise the “official rules”.

The other links you gave are not “official” rules sources for the 2nd edition.  The ones for Harris Game Design are for the development of the Alpha rules, which were the precursors of the 2nd edition rules, and are no longer official.  The other one is local, and is unfortunately named.  Calling it “FAQ” makes it sound official, but I would have called it “Q&A”.  This is not to say that the answers there aren’t correct, but there shouldn’t be anything there that’s not also in the official rules.

In short, everything you need should be in the rulebooks and FAQs.  Anything you find anyplace else should simply be clarifications.

• @Kreuzfeld:

If you are talking about the links below, then I consider them part of the rules. They have an Errata part, and some clarifying questions.

http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/ah/AA_Pacific_1940_2nd_Edition_FAQ.pdf
    http://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/ah/aaeurope1940_2ndedition_faq.pdf

So i decide instead that I only consider offically published rules and erratas on the Avalon Hill home page as official rules.

Personally, I have never referred to anything else than these, when speaking of “(official) FAQ”.

• Hey guys I have another question:

Similar to the “Scrabmle” rule.

Seems to happen not often, but just if.

SBR-defending-units are losing their territory. As they have already participated in combat, they are not allowed to defend the territory.
    So can these former “Interceptors” used as casualties during the following combat of the territory (SBR has already been taken) or are these units completely passive?

Are they destroyed or do they have also the ability to move 1 space during NCM?

Hope you got it.

Thanks!!!

• '21 '20 '18 '17

WHEN SCRAMBLING FROM AIR BASE TO SEA

As defenders, they may not retreat. They
    can’t participate in any other battles during that turn,
    including a battle in the territory from which they were
    scrambled.

WHEN INTERCEPTING AN SBR

These fighters cannot participate in other battles during
    that turn, including a battle in the territory in which
    the bombing raid is occurring. They must remain in
    their original territory after the battle. If that territory
    is captured, they can move 1 space to land in a friendly
    territory or on a friendly aircraft carrier. This movement
    occurs during the Noncombat Move phase, before the
    acting player makes any noncombat movements. If no
    such landing space is available, the fighters are lost.

Short Answer;  They cannot fight during the coming defensive battle, and if the territory is captured during the defensive battle, they can run away, 1 space, or crash.

• Thanks for the quick answer!

In this case it’s quite easy to understand what is written in the rules.

I read the Scrabmle passage on page 16 again and without the clarification by Kriegund & Panther
    I wouldn’t understand it like this.

Maybe there should be a more detailed description in the rules for the special case I’ve given above.

• @ShadowHAwk:

@RedIndian:

Ok here are another 3 :D

1. USA : (US in first 3 rounds when not at war)

Beside the “No-China-Rule”
    Are any ships and airplanes of the US allowed to go through seazones which are adjacent to Japan controlled islands? Yes, aren’t they? Unless they don’t park there/ end the movment adjacent to a Japan controlled island or territory, right?

I found this a bit weird rule as it also bars US from staging ships near singapore which is a major naval base for the UK.
    But the rules are the rules :)

It is clear the US cannot attack before turn 4 without being attack is G40’s attempted to get AnA closer to historical actions. US was big about Monroe Doctrine. The bigger question is why USSR cannot attack before Turn 4. I know it’s about the pact between Stalin and Hitler but anyone with a brain knew Stalin was going to attack eventually.

• @Caesar:

@ShadowHAwk:

@RedIndian:

Ok here are another 3 :D

1. USA : (US in first 3 rounds when not at war)

Beside the “No-China-Rule”
    Are any ships and airplanes of the US allowed to go through seazones which are adjacent to Japan controlled islands? Yes, aren’t they? Unless they don’t park there/ end the movment adjacent to a Japan controlled island or territory, right?

I found this a bit weird rule as it also bars US from staging ships near singapore which is a major naval base for the UK.
    But the rules are the rules :)

It is clear the US cannot attack before turn 4 without being attack is G40’s attempted to get AnA closer to historical actions. US was big about Monroe Doctrine. The bigger question is why USSR cannot attack before Turn 4. I know it’s about the pact between Stalin and Hitler but anyone with a brain knew Stalin was going to attack eventually.

I don’t know why you focus on that now but I will give you an answer.
    Stalin’s plan was to wait until all the other powers have weaken each other, so that the USSR is able to conquer the world easily. (he said this on a party meeting of the communism in the 20’s)
    Anyone who still says the USSR was nearly or ready to attack the Germans by 1941 is a liar!
    The Russians weren’t ready (just had their “great purge”) at all. And as I said, they wanted to wait until there would be a chance later on!
    So to me the rule does make sense. It makes it more historical. And if Germany invades & conquers UK, you have the chance to declare war. (this covers Stalin’s plan to wait, although no one know what happened if…)

For the Pacific, the USSR was interested in getting their territories back they had lost years ago against Japan.
    But they weren’t strong enough at this time to do this without any help. The navy of the Russians in the Pacific wasn’t strong enough to face the Japanese.

Since 1932 there were several boarder conflicts between USSR and Japan in the north of Mandchuko. Finally in April 1941 both countries signed the  “Soviet�Japanese Neutrality Pact”.
    Although many Allied partners of those both countries tried to push them into war with eachother (US the USSR against Japan / Germany Japan against Russia), they never came into war. (Russia needed the troops for Europe, Japan against China, US and all the other pacific campaigns)
    Ok at the very last days Russia took some territories but only after all other combats in Europe were done!

So as a German I can give you the advice, be careful what you’re saying. This argument pushed by other nations until 1980s / 1990s justified the attack of the Germans in June, 22 1941. As some of the German Veterans say. Those people were told this, just to make this attack a right and justified one. They (Nazis) even said, this was a defending attack, although it was planned by Hitler for other purposes. Anything else is “Propaganda” or in Trump’s days “fake news”

Historians from different nations proofed this.

So no, Stalin doesn’t want to attack Germany that early! Maybe later, but there are no concrete hints for that in comparison to the Nazis.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m