• Everyone always told me twinkies can last forever.  That seems unlikely now.  RIP Hostess

• @Mallery29:

Everyone always told me twinkies can last forever.  That seems unlikely now.  RIP Hostess

:-o  What?  :?

No more Ho-Ho’s?  :cry:

• BTW

Hostess just filed for bankruptcy because the union employees would not take a pay cut. 18,500+ now out of jobs…

http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article/222184/3/Hostess-goes-out-of-business

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

NO!

I’m going to Wal-mart tonight to buy ALL remaining Twinkies…

• @Imperious:

BTW

Hostess just filed for bankruptcy because the union employees would not take a pay cut. 17,000+ not out of jobs…

http://www.wlbz2.com/news/article/222184/3/Hostess-goes-out-of-business

[edited by GG]

Hell, your own article gives far more detail, yet you focused on what you wanted to believe.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Jermofoot:

The truth is much farther than what you stated, it’s not even funny.

Can you please elaborate?

• WE MUST BUY THE REMAINING TWINKIES!

• Hell, your own article gives far more detail, yet you focused on what you wanted to believe.

SIGH>>>

You mean not forking over 8% of wages to pay for part of their pension plan?

Or perhaps the fact that the Union didn’t want to contribute to paying any portion of medical care?

[edited by GG] OH and i know going out of business is very greedy. Funny post BTW…

• Twinkies. Never forget.

My wal-mart doesn’t sell twinkies…

In fact, neither does my 7-11, petrocan, mac’s, Thrifty’s, London Drugs, or Save on Foods.

I’m totally &(#*%().

I went home with Hostess Vanilla cup-cakes… bunch of B.S…  Twinkies are an American thing I guess :S

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

They filed for chapter 11. That doesn’t mean they will disappear. Either the company will restructure in order to pay off its debt or they will file for full bankruptcy in which case some other company like Frito-Lay will buy up their assets, like factories, recipes and the extremely valuable Brand name.

@IL: Who is your typist? Because I find it astounding that you prove again and again that you are completely incapable of reading bust still manage to toll the pages and annoy as many people as possible by posting your completely inane thoughts.

@Canuck12:

They filed for chapter 11. That doesn’t mean they will disappear. Either the company will restructure in order to pay off its debt or they will file for full bankruptcy in which case some other company like Frito-Lay will buy up their assets, like factories, recipes and the extremely valuable Brand name.

@IL: Who is your typist? Because I find it astounding that you prove again and again that you are completely incapable of reading bust still manage to toll the pages and annoy as many people as possible by posting your completely inane thoughts.  Â

bust still manage to toll?

:P

• bust still manage to toll the pages

I charge them $10 each. And they pay. Sorry you don’t understand.

The Union refused to agree to have employees pay 8% toward their own pension plan and a portion of wages for their own health care. They WERE lucky to even have a pension where they didn’t pay anything. Now they join the other 99% who help pay into their own pension.

“the company had been contributing $100 million a year in pension costs. The new contract offer would�ve slashed that to $25 million a year, in addition to wage cuts and a 17 percent reduction in health benefits.”

According to the radio, it was 8% additional pension contribution. Some articles say they had a 8% pay reduction, but this is really money going into their pensions.

I hope to annoy you with truth… And charge you a toll for it.

http://www.tennessean.com/viewart/20121117/BUSINESS01/311160146/Hostess-closure-puts-iconic-snacks-jeopardy?odyssey=nav|head

Oh and another fun factoid is the smaller bakers union of about 4,400 voted in majority to close the company rather than see any concessions. The other 14,000 get stuck with that decision. The case of a smaller union effecting the larger one. Nice touch.

• I’m not going to completely blame the unions…I WILL blame them, but all parties involved are to blame.  This is a top to bottom failure of the company, which is really sad.  This was the same state of affairs GM was in a couple years ago with complete failure on all ends…although, they aren’t completely out of trouble yet because they are bleeding/hemoraging money overseas at an alarming rate.  I’m sure companies will buy bits and parts of their operations, and some people will be able to get a similar job for like Little Debbie or another Bread company.  In the end though, figure in that 90% of those people will not be retained by any company that buys the pieces and will be looking for a job rather than presents this holiday season.

Maybe they can open a sweatshop out here in Asia and produce at Apple-like factory!  By the way, there are NO MORE Twinkies out here in Japan… :(

http://www.google.co.jp/imgres?num=10&hl=en&biw=1920&bih=926&tbm=isch&tbnid=BB6sF2Q9a4OmtM:&imgrefurl=http://weknowmemes.com/&docid=-EH0nIFVoD8stM&imgurl=http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/twinkies-meme-240x180.jpg&w=240&h=180&ei=S1CoUPLDHe3PmAWfj4CYCQ&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=455&vpy=186&dur=365&hovh=143&hovw=190&tx=56&ty=27&sig=114087951771160559440&page=1&tbnh=142&tbnw=189&start=0&ndsp=42&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:74

Never forget…

• Well some have can blamed management, but those executive increases aren’t gonna be paid in any case.

Reminds me of when Reagan fired the traffic controllers union. What an awesome day that was!

The economy can’t afford these benefits and practically nobody gets so many benefits…especially making bakery goods. No wonder why generations of people worked for them. They knew a good thing when they saw it.

“Many production workers earned up to $20 an hour, plus had access to medical benefits,”

“Trucking is a higher paying field, offering a national average of $22 an hour. Including base pay and commission, Hostess Teamsters workers could have earned between $50,000 to $100,000 a year, said O’Brien”

100K for delivering zinger’s? Oh boy. not a sustainable business IMO.

They filed for chapter 11, but ANOTHER company will buy the assets, minus the damm Union and rehire them at sustainable wages and benefits. That will teach them.

• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

@Mallery29:

Twinkies. Never forget.

Twinkies. Never go bad.

• @Imperious:

Well some have can blamed management, but those executive increases aren’t gonna be paid in any case.

Reminds me of when Reagan fired the traffic controllers union. What an awesome day that was!

The economy can’t afford these benefits and practically nobody gets so many benefits…especially making bakery goods. No wonder why generations of people worked for them. They knew a good thing when they saw it.

“Many production workers earned up to $20 an hour, plus had access to medical benefits,”

“Trucking is a higher paying field, offering a national average of $22 an hour. Including base pay and commission, Hostess Teamsters workers could have earned between $50,000 to $100,000 a year, said O’Brien”

100K for delivering zinger’s? Oh boy. not a sustainable business IMO.

They filed for chapter 11, but ANOTHER company will buy the assets, minus the damm Union and rehire them at sustainable wages and benefits. That will teach them.

I completely agree with you. I’m very anti-union and believe that many of these unions have outlived their purposes. Not that I wouldn’t mind delivering Zingers for 100K, but I agree that it is a bad company model.  I wasn’t really old enough/self aware of the politics in the 80’s at the time, but have heard numerous stories of the day Reagan fired the union.

I hate when teachers strike too, but I’ll save that for another day.

I know of businesses that were flailing, but I didn’t think Hostess was one of those.  I sure expected to see JCP, Best Buy, Sears, and American Airlines fold here in the near future, not Hostess.

• Right. In some cases Unions are needed. But our nation is facing a crisis where business cannot compete globally with high labor costs. This is especially acute in the internet age where you can order anything from anywhere and shop for price. Just look at the airlines. Southwest nearly every year has the best prices, service, and safety records. They don’t have any unions but still pay fair wages. Delta and American airlines typically struggle just to stay afloat.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@Gargantua:

@Canuck12:

@IL: Who is your typist? Because I find it astounding that you prove again and again that you are completely incapable of reading bust still manage to toll the pages and annoy as many people as possible by posting your completely inane thoughts.  Â

bust still manage to toll?

:P

Ooooh damnit! Nothing takes the wind out of a seething insult like an embarrassing spelling error.  :oops: :-)

Guess I’ll dial it back. Or proofread next time….

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

@Imperious:

Right. In some cases Unions are needed. But our nation is facing a crisis where business cannot compete globally with high labor costs. This is especially acute in the internet age where you can order anything from anywhere and shop for price. Just look at the airlines. Southwest nearly every year has the best prices, service, and safety records. They don’t have any unions but still pay fair wages. Delta and American airlines typically struggle just to stay afloat.

Agreed.
    Unions have their place. But labour is so mobile and these days that as long as an industry is competitive and the economy is running at somewhere near full-employment (ie: 6-7% unemployment rate) then employers will be forced to pay workers roughly their marginal productivity simply to avoid defections. The best thing for labour is just to have a properly functioning economy where few firms can exercise market power. If a union bogs down a company and the company goes bust, that’s just natural selection man.

It should be said though that not all unions are in a constant war with employers and sometimes a union is a mutually beneficial relationship to make between employers and employees.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m