• If a fgt takes off from an AC, moves through three SZ’s and attacks a ship and is destroyed does the AC it left from still have to travel through the two SZ’s it was required to in order for the fgt to land safely? Thanks

• 2007 AAR League

No it doesn’t it just has to be able to in case the Fig did survive.

• If the FIG did live, the AC would have to move though. :-)

• The AC move is required only if the ftr needs the AC to land safely.  If the ftr is shot down or if there is another landing possibility (friendly territory/island), the AC move is optional, but is not required. :-D

• How many folks need to chime in before it is unanimous?

• 2007 AAR League

By definition, everyone  :-P

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I agree with Clay.

And I think SSG is saying you have to move the Carrier regardless of if the Fighter survives or not.

I disagree, but that’s just me and Switch and AJGundam

• 2007 AAR League

Hmm…  I interpret SSG’s post differently - that you cannot choose NOT to move the carrier and kamikaze a fighter that survived combat.  If the fighter survives and has no other landing option, the carrier MUST move and allow the fighter to land.

In this, I think SSG agrees with Jen, AJ, Switch et. al.

• @rjclayton:

In this, I think SSG agrees with Jen, AJ, Switch et. al.

Then we’re all happy!

Mindy: I’m so happy, darling!
    Homer: I as well! Are you happy Jeeves?
    Jeeves: Mmmyes sir… quite.
    Homer: Then we’re all happy!

(edit) That’s a quote from “The Simpsons” (/edit)

• Clay, you had the correct interpretation of my answer.  When I said the AC move was optional, that was only if the ftr was destroyed.  Then the AC can be moved wherever you wish or not moved at all.  If the ftr survives the attack, a save landing must be provided (AC, island, shoreline), unless you’re playing kamikazee rules.

• 2007 AAR League

@frimmel:

How many folks need to chime in before it is unanimous?

But what if isn’t unanimous???

:cry:

• @rjclayton:

By definition, everyone  :-P

LOL!

~Josh

PS - I agree with everyone.  During Combat Movement you have to prove that every Fighter moving into combat has a safe place to land based on the assumption that all Fighters and Carriers will survive their combats and allowing for potential Carrier movement during the Noncombat Move phase.  During Noncombat, Carriers only have to move as planned if it is necessary to do so to provide a landing spot for Fighters that would have no place to land if they didn’t; otherwise they may sail where they like or not at all.

One step closer to unanimous.   :-D  Only 4470 members left to chime in.

• '19 Moderator

I think a simple majority of those polled is all that is required here and so I think it’s safe to go with the popular oppinion that no you don’t have to move the AC if the fighter is lost.

Maybe we should start a poll…

• The mvoement has to be declared in Combat to allow for recovery, but if no recovery is needed, you simply do a different move in NCM.

If the FIG lives, you ahve no choice though.

• @Baghdaddy:

@frimmel:

Obviously, the answer is shoot everyone that disagrees with me.

God, why do people have to make everything so complicated?!

• 2007 AAR League

@newpaintbrush:

@Baghdaddy:

@frimmel:

Obviously, the answer is shoot everyone that disagrees with me.

God, why do people have to make everything so complicated?!

Thats good.  As long as we have a policy in place to deal with the opposition.

• Naw… all Noncombat Movement (NCM) starts after Combat Movement is complete, practically and thematically.

Your land units are allowed to reinforce just-captured territory during NCM… which obviously they must begin once the battle is won or lost, and if won, once the degree of necessary reinforcement is learned.  You, as the player, learn those facts and make those choices once all combat is over.  Aircraft Carriers behave by the same set of freedoms.

~Josh

• i conccur with outsidelime…  :mrgreen: yea!

• 2007 AAR League

@ShadowHAwk:

Can i agree with the fact that in the current rules the carrier does NOT have to move if the fighter was destroyed, but at the same time not agree with the rules itself ?

Because it is not logical that the carrier does not start its move to meet up with the figher at the same time since it it start after the figher completed its move in a normal situation it would not be there on time to catch the aircraft.

Basicaly the time it takes for the carrier to get there is the same as the time it takes for the fighter to get there and since the carrier needs to be there at the same time in order for the pilot to remain dry it logical should start sailing in the general direction of the pickup point.

Since the Fighter in question could be “flying” from Gibraltar to the Caucus in one turn, I don’t think the model of aircraft taking off and landing as part of a days flight operations on a Carrier quite applies.  Especially since Naval aircraft are built very differently from land based aircraft yet the game makes no difference between the two.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m