• Hey new to the board and have a question on amphibious assaults that I can’t seem to get a handle on.

Situation is that the US has a transport and troops 2 sea units away from Paris(.i.e. 1 non-combat turn).  The sea zone next to Paris has no enemy boats(undefended).  Do I have to already be in the adjacent sea zone to Paris to conduct the assault during the combat phase(.i.e. have to spread it out over 2 turns, 1 turn using non-combat moves to get there and then attack during combat phase) or during the combat phase can I move the 2 sea units and then drop off my troops(1 turn).  Question is pretty important as it will determine if the axis win or if we keep going(Playing a minor victory).

Thanks!

Max

• The transports move on the combat phase, the troops unload for free and attack Western Europe on the same combat phase.
    Good luck, and happy gaming! :-D

• Follow-up question: If there are BB’s as part of the TRN’s battlegroup, can they ALSO move during the combat move phase with the TRN’s in order to provide bombardment for amphib assault, even though they are not ending their movement in a hostile sea zone?

(I’m actually UK in the OP question.)

• hostile sea zone is when there is an ennemy boat in the sea zone.

Battleships cannot shore bombard if entering hostile sea zone.

An empty sea zone adjacent to an ennemy territory is NOT an hostile sea zone.

In short, if you have to kill an ennemy boat in order to drop your troops, you cannot shore bombard. If the sea zone was empty, you can.

• So, what you’re saying is that a BB cannot move AND provide shore bombardment during the same combat move? Right?

• '19 Moderator

They can if there are no enemy ships in the sea zone.

• Official Q&A

@max:

Hey new to the board and have a question on amphibious assaults that I can’t seem to get a handle on.

Situation is that the US has a transport and troops 2 sea units away from Paris(.i.e. 1 non-combat turn).  The sea zone next to Paris has no enemy boats(undefended).  Do I have to already be in the adjacent sea zone to Paris to conduct the assault during the combat phase(.i.e. have to spread it out over 2 turns, 1 turn using non-combat moves to get there and then attack during combat phase) or during the combat phase can I move the 2 sea units and then drop off my troops(1 turn).  Question is pretty important as it will determine if the axis win or if we keep going(Playing a minor victory).

Thanks!

Max

Welcome, Max!

You can indeed pick up troops, move two sea zones, and conduct an amphibious assault during the combat movement phase.  The only thing that would stop you from doing this is if either the sea zone that your transport is starting in or the sea zone between that one and the one you’re going to assault from has enemy units in it.  If the sea zone that the transport starts in has enemy units, you can’t load troops and you must either fight or move away.  Once you start moving, as soon as you encounter enemy units, you have to stop and fight.  If that happens in the sea zone that you’re amphibiously assaulting from, you can still do the assault if you win the sea battle.

@Finster:

So, what you’re saying is that a BB cannot move AND provide shore bombardment during the same combat move? Right?

Yes, it can.  However, it can’t fight a sea battle and then provide shore bombardment.  It must do one or the other, and if a sea battle is fought, it must participate in it.

• I see what you’re saying, but what about pg. 11 of the rulebook that says, “You can move units into friendly spaces en route to hostile spaces during this phase, but they can end their move in friendly spaces only during the noncombat move phase.”

Doesn’t both the TRN’s moving to amphib assault and the BB to provide shore bombardment violate this rule, since they are ending movement in a “friendly” sea zone (i.e. one without enemy ships)?

• '19 Moderator

Amphibious assault is an exception.

• An example of this is Germany 1 in Egypt.

Aren’t you allowed to move, for example, the transport, the battleship, and let’s say 3 fighters into the seazone above Egypt (with a UK defender) and then allocate the transport and battleship for amphibious assault, and the three fighters for the destroyer?

I’m pretty sure that if the three fighters fail to kill the destroyer, in that situation the transport and battleship would be forced to retreat.

Correct? That’s the way I’ve been playing it.

• No, all units have to enter combat.  The battleship cannot bombard Egypt on Germany’s 1st turn.

Edit to clear up:…the transport can, however, drop troops off in Egypt during combat movement.  These troops land only if the sea zone from which they were dropped is cleared without losing the transport.

• Official Q&A

Dezrtfish and 03321 are correct.  Transports and battleships are allowed to move into a friendly sea zone during combat movement if they are conducting and supporting an amphibious assault.  This exception to the normal rules regarding combat movement is allowed for two reasons.  First, even though the transport may not be participating in combat, it is facilitating combat by transporting land units to an amphibious assault.  Second, even though the battleship isn’t participating in sea combat, it is participating in land combat by firing its supporting shot.

If a sea battle occurs before an amphibious assault, all sea units (including the transports) moving into the sea zone must participate in that sea battle.  You can’t hold any battleships back from the sea battle in order to allow them to fire a supporting shot for the land units.

See pages 13, 19 and 20 of the Operations Manual.

• Just adding my support to our Rules Expert Krieg…  His statements are 100% correct regarding Amphibs.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m