Axis and Allies 1914 FAQ/Question and Answer Thread

• Official Q&A

@vonLettowVorbeck1914:

@WILD:

No, if you are in a contested territory w/enemy units your options are limited:

1. Can load to a transport (but aren’t allowed to off load)

Where did you see this one? I must have missed it somewhere.

Remaining at sea is an additional option for transported units, not the only one.  They can offload into any territory that meets the same criteria for eligibility as moving by land.

• Thanks for setting that straight (my bad). I think I remember reading something about that earlier in this thread (answerer to Flashes questions about Italy?). Units are allowed off load to other contested territories I have units in, or that I control (same as if they were adjacent), or stay at sea. I re-read the ground unit section, they just say the units are allowed to stay at sea, maybe they spell it out elsewhere better (couldn’t find it).

• @Texas:

I like the rule as it stands, otherwise it lets you game the system.  Here are a couple examples if you allow someone to move where they have units already present:

Poland is contested between Germany and Russia, Ukraine is Austria-controlled with a German unit present.  By allowing Germany to move troops to the Ukraine, you allow them to bypass any combat in Poland, or basically just walk through unscathed since combat is not required to be conducted in a contested beyond the initial invasion.

Â

If everything else in your example remains the same, but Ukraine is contested Germany can move through anyways. Your scenario is not a very big deal since 1. Germany had to get a unit to Ukraine on a previous turn in the first place (which means that a can opener move where Austria would wipe out a Russian controlled territory and Germany could move through on its next turn is not possible), and 2. Like I already said, Germany can do that anyways if the territory remains contested. If you want to talk about gaming the system, think of Russia’s position in the current game where they move out of the territory in question to make it no longer contested and therefore Germany would not be able to move in. Russia stops opposing the CP in a territory, and that makes it harder for the CP to move in? That’s what’s truly gamey and will lead to nonsensical gimmicks in-game.

@Texas:

Another example, the Germans have captured France’s northern coast and the UK has some forces inland  The UK conducts an amphibious assault and contests one of these territories.  On the following turn, they would then be allowed to just continue inland without fighting through the German line.

Again, if the territory the UK has forces in inland happens to be contested, the UK can move through without fighting the German line. We are left with Powers avoiding contesting territories (conceptually, avoiding trying to fight to slow the enemy down), in order to slow the enemy down!

@Texas:

I understand the issue some have with the rule as it stands, but it also doesn’t make sense for a country to be to walk through an opposing countries entrenched troops unharmed either.

As I have shown, they already can do that. It just needs to be to a contested territory rather than an allied one. :?

Under my change, the can opener is barely any more potent (if at all) than it already is, since it requires that a unit of your power already be in a tt if you want to move there from a contested. Like I said above, a power still can’t get away with one power (Austria, for example) wiping out a russian-controlled ukraine and  then allowing Germany to move in, since Germany would not have already had a unit there. If you have to already have had a unit in the TT in which you would like to move into, it is decidedly NOT can opening, at least not any more than the rules currently allow in the contested tt movement rules.

Do my examples make sense or would a little more detail be helpful?

• Official Q&A

@WILD:

I re-read the ground unit section, they just say the units are allowed to stay at sea, maybe they spell it out elsewhere better (couldn’t find it).

Actually, they say the units may also stay at sea, indicating that it’s an additional option.  :-)

• @Krieghund:

@WILD:

I re-read the ground unit section, they just say the units are allowed to stay at sea, maybe they spell it out elsewhere better (couldn’t find it).

Actually, they say the units may also stay at sea, indicating that it’s an additional option.  :-)

That makes more sense with what I read, thanks!

• Krieg: can the allies move into a colony belonging to Belgium or Portugal and take the 1IPC, or must a CP capture it first?
    Thank you.

• '16

@wittmann:

Krieg: can the allies move into a colony belonging to Belgium or Portugal and take the 1IPC, or must a CP capture it first?
    Thank you.

@Krieghund:

@Flashman:

13. Can the UK or Italy move into Congo/Angola/PE Africa at any time, and if so who gets control/money?�

Yes, and the attacking power would get control.

• It isn’t an ‘attack’ if the UK moves into Belgian Congo.

• Customizer

You have to forget who “owns” colonies of neutrals. In effect they’re completely independent neutral countries with no defence forces.

• Ok. Thank you all.
    It was what BJCard thought too; it was I who doubted him.

• The horse ain’t dead yet so I will keep beating it.

Britain, France, and the CP contest Belgium.
    Britain, France, and the CP contest Lorraine also.
    CP controls Ruhr and Alsace, France controls Picardy.

France moves into Lorraine from Belgium.

Now, if they attack and win, Britain CANNOT move their forces in to Lorraine. But, if it remains contested, Britain could move in. Unless Britain has enough transports for all the units in Belgium or they somehow have units in another adjacent territory that is contested with the CP (Which in the above scenario they don’t), they are trapped in Belgium.

By clearing out Lorraine of enemy units, France actually traps its ally in an adjacent territory.

However, if there are CP forces remaining in Lorraine to oppose the Allies, Britain has no problem moving in.

This really needs to go sooner rather than later, by allowing a power to move from a contested to an ally’s territory that had 1 or more of the moving power’s units in it at the start of the turn.

• Customizer

It is completely anti-instintive; which is why I completely missed it.

• '16

Don’t trap your ally, then. Simple.

• This is a lot to look through.  Is there a comprehensive list that explicitly goes over all these FAQ?  Ideally so that I can just print it out to bring with me to my next wargame this weekend.

• @johnnyseinfeld:

This is a lot to look through.  Is there a comprehensive list that explicitly goes over all these FAQ?  Ideally so that I can just print it out to bring with me to my next wargame this weekend.

Krieg answered a lot of the questions a couple pages ago, but that’s all we have so far.

• Question about transport carrying capacity…does the rule mean u can place 2 land units (max)AND a fighter on a transport?(3 total) thnks…

• @tytyboogie:

Question about transport carrying capacity…does the rule mean u can place 2 land units (max)AND a fighter on a transport?(3 total) thnks…

No, 2 of any land unit (does not have to be the same type of unit)

• Official Q&A

I would like to move the discussion of the proposed change in land unit movement rules to this new thread, to keep this thread focused on Q&A.  Thanks.

• Official Q&A

I have made some changes to the original list of clarifications on page 14 of this thread.  The Russian Revolution rules have been updated.  Also, clarifications were added regarding control of minor neutral powers’ colonies and British mobilization in India.  Finally, an earlier clarification regarding movement out of contested territories was further clarified:

You may not move land units out of a contested territory into an adjacent territory that you made contested in the same turn.  The destination territory must have already been contested by you at the beginning of your turn.

• Krieg, on PG 14 can you clarify when exactly the “one infantry in each army” rule takes effect.

If I win a battle in which I attacked with 10 arty and 2 infantry and lost 2 infantry, do I then have to convert one artillery at the end of my turn?

What about defensively, if that same 10 art and 2 inf are attacked, and I take 2 hits, do I have to remove 1 art & 1 inf or can I remove 2 inf defensively?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m