• This dawned on me as I was looking over the latest information, and given the stuff involved I don’t think this is worth the price tag.

I mean seriously, 1941 had more sculpts then this, and it cost what $40?

I mean sure, new era, new rules, new map, but is that worth 2.5 times the cost?

[admin]The typo in the title was bothering me.[/admin]

• It has the largest amount of dice that has been released for A&A. That speaks for something.

Furthermore, if you preorder, the game is cheaper.

It’s worth its cost that way.

• @TheVenocWarlord:

It has the largest amount of dice that has been released for A&A. That speaks for something.

Furthermore, if you preorder, the game is cheaper.

It’s worth its cost that way.

I have dice laying around the house, I don’t really feel interested in paying a ton for them. I’m sure most of you even have dice from old A&A

I am talking MRP

• 1941 was basically “Axis & Allies for Beginners” and 1914 will be rather more complicated, plus the new direction it’s taking. The map is apparently pretty big(thanks to Africa) and the previews so far seem to imply that this game will involve a lot of strategic challenge. I do think $100 is rather overpriced, $75 probably would’ve been better, but overall the game seems pretty good and I suppose I can afford the price. Plus I only have Guadalcanal and 1941 and need an actual large-theatre game that isn’t something incredibly simplified.

• Let’s see…

Preorder for what $60 or just pay MRP of $100…

Decisions…Decisions…

Yep it’s clear…I will pay $100…

excellent.

• @Imperious:

Let’s see…

Preorder for what $60 or just pay MRP of $100…

Decisions…Decisions…

Yep it’s clear…I will pay $100…

excellent.

Eh. I can probably get it for free if I work on manipulating my family enough, since my birthday is March 15th and all.

• I could steal a copy at gunpoint as well…

• No you cant, that would be illegal

• Customizer

But money is no object for IL. Buying 50 copies of a new game is part of his daily routine.

Stealing a copy is the only excitement he gets, especially if its the last copy on sale in the state.

Spare a thought for us foreigners, by the time it gets over here its probably 50% than you pay in real terms.

But its Axis and Allies WWI, something many of us have been dreaming of for years. Try to think of it as an investment in Larry Harris’s brain. If its a success, he’ll stop churning out endless tweaks of WWII with a few new sculpts and start a whole new line of exciting new games, as well as a deluxe edition of 1914 with loads of new sculpts including armoured frickin’ laser trains.

• I’m running out of bedrooms to store these games….I need to cut down

• I blame Obama. Driving up board game prices.
    (turn on your sarcasm detectors)

• Customizer

I think it comes down to the fact that these are all new sculpts. When you mold parts, the tool to mold them costs a bazillion dollars, and the parts themselves cost pennies; so it stands to reason that the initial run is more expensive, and the the tool cost gets more and more spread out the more units you sell.

This is the theoretical explanation, although I can’t see why you would pass an extra few thousand dollars in tooling on to your customers in the form of a $40 markup.

Could be the demand factor as well. They know this game will most likely appeal to a niche market who have been waiting for a game like this for years, and will be willing to shell out the extra $40.

• It’s a shame they didn’t reuse some WWII sculpts,  like Soviet cruisers and battleships or Italian, Japanese, Soviet and German artillery.

Unless every thing is molded on one big sheet and they cant pick and choose the sculpts they want.

• I think the point here is not how much it costs, but how much it costs relative to other games.

I see very little to make up the difference in MSRP between 1942 2e and this.

• @vonLettowVorbeck1914:

I think the point here is not how much it costs, but how much it costs relative to other games.

I see very little to make up the difference in MSRP between 1942 2e and this.

My only thought is… it is a new game, the board is the size of AAE1940, there are 8 different armies (albeit fewer distinct ‘sculpts’), and thirty six dice.

I’d had better be on par with the AA1940 games as far as quality goes (if not the gold standard of Anniversary edition).

• @oztea:

It’s a shame they didn’t reuse some WWII sculpts,  like Soviet cruisers and battleships or Italian, Japanese, Soviet and German artillery.

I suspect that of WotC had done that, quite a few people would have slagged them for “ripping us off by repackaging a bunch of A&A WWII sculpts and passing them off as WWI units” (or words along those lines).  It’s certainly how I would have felt.

• Well they could have mixed some in.
    My biggest gripe is the lack of artillery sculpts.
    Just swap them all around. Like give France the Italian sculpt from 1940, and give Russia the Japanese sculpt, etc. Just recolor the old molds.
    Better than one cookie cutter artillery.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m