• A few years ago I did a March Madness Battleship Bracket, but I only allowed one battleship for each country. I thought I would add a few battleships and a few additional countries to the event. This will be round one. The location will be the calm waters of the Gulf of Mexico. Each ship will start at a range of 35 miles apart. The battles will to the death with the winner going to dry dock for repairs and awaiting for the next round.

1. Duke of York vs. Lorraine

2. Missouri vs. Schleswig-Holstein

3. Yamato vs. Minas Gerais (Brazilian)

4. Bismarck vs. Kilkis (Greek)

5. Hood vs. Kongo

6. Vittorio Veneto vs. Sevastopol

7. North Carolina vs. Nelson

8. Scharnhorst vs. Ramillies

9. Jean Bart vs. Oktyabrskaya Revolutsiya

10. Alabama vs. Tennessee

11. Warspite vs. Nagato

12. Texas vs. Conte Di Cavour

13. Dunkerque vs. Hyuga (hybid)

14. Yavuz (Turkish) vs. Arkansas

I had to match up  Missouri vs. Schleswig-Holstein, one open some the first shots of the war, the other was the symbol of the signed peace.

The match up between the Scharnhorst and the Ramilles nearly happened in the Atlantic.

I had to add the hybrid battleship/carrier for debate issues.

Remember, fire control, radar, crews training can all be taken into consideration.

• I’m not sure that any battleship could beat the Missouri.  I must admit, I don’t recognize some of the ship names, but the Iowa class battleships were the most advanced true battleships every built.  The range on its main battery would decimate anything else before it got close- not to mention the crew’s training.

Hell, the Missouri has TOMAHAWKS…  I mean, what other battleship has missiles like that?

1. Duke of York
    2. Missouri
    3. Yamato
    4. Bismark
    5. Kongo
    6. Vittorio Veneto
    7. North Carolina
    8. Scharnhorst
    9. Jean Bart
    10. Alabama
    11. Nagato
    12. Texas
    13. Dunkerque
    14. Arkansas

• Tomahawks in 1945?

• Ummmm….where’s the Iowa or New Jersey?  The Bath tub alone for Iowa should give her a +1 Defense!

• Duke of York
    Missouri
    Yamato
    Bismarck
    Kongo
    Vittorio Veneto
    N Carolina
    Scharnhorst
    Jean Bart
    Alabama
    Nagato
    Texas
    Dunkerque
    Yavuz

• '17 '16 '13 '12

This is a lot of work!

First 6 matchups (according to my rating system)

Duke of York
    Missouri
    Yamato
    Bismarck
    Hood
    Vittorio Veneto

Only the match with the Hood is a close one…

• @ABWorsham:

Tomahawks in 1945?

It was a bit tongue in cheek as the OP did not specify what version ‘year’ the BB would be fighting.

• @ABWorsham:

A few years ago I did a March Madness Battleship Bracket,

Oh Christ, not this again.  :roll:

Worsham, do you not remember the Chaos this created the last time we tried this? Was it really only a few years ago, because I don’t feel like enough time has passed to try this again. I don’t even know why you bother including ships from other countries because you have to know by now that with this forum it’s just going to come down to the American ships in the end. Hell at this point the only thing that could possibly beat the US ships listed is if Canada had a battleship listed here  :-D

• '17 '16 '13 '12

Bismarck and Yamato are serious business!

• @Clyde85:

@ABWorsham:

A few years ago I did a March Madness Battleship Bracket,

Oh Christ, not this again.  :roll:

Worsham, do you not remember the Chaos this created the last time we tried this? Was it really only a few years ago, because I don’t feel like enough time has passed to try this again. I don’t even know why you bother including ships from other countries because you have to know by now that with this forum it’s just going to come down to the American ships in the end. Hell at this point the only thing that could possibly beat the US ships listed is if Canada had a battleship listed here  :-D

Well, I tried a Heavy Cruiser match up and it sank very quicky. I got one response and it wasn’t even a vote.  LoL  I thought about a division match up, tank match up and a fighter pilot match up. But the Battleships demanded a sequel.

• The only reason the Iowa class BBs win were they were built later than most other BBs and enjoyed many advances in technology (fire control, damage control, etc…)

http://combinedfleet.com/baddest.htm

• @BJCard:

I’m not sure that any battleship could beat the Missouri.  I must admit, I don’t recognize some of the ship names, but the Iowa class battleships were the most advanced true battleships every built.  The range on its main battery would decimate anything else before it got close- not to mention the crew’s training.

Hell, the Missouri has TOMAHAWKS…  I mean, what other battleship has missiles like that?

1. Duke of York
    2. Missouri
    3. Yamato
    4. Bismark
    5. Kongo
    6. Vittorio Veneto
    7. North Carolina
    8. Scharnhorst
    9. Jean Bart
    10. Alabama
    11. Nagato
    12. Texas
    13. Dunkerque
    14. Arkansas

Untrue, Bismark, Tirpitz, Yamato and Musashi all out gunned and out armored the Missouri class.

As far as straight up tech goes, that goes to the pocket battleship.  The restraints placed on Germany forced innovation.

• Bismark/Tirpitz
    Armament:
    8 × 38 cm (15 in) SK C/34 (4 × 2)
    12 × 15 cm (5.9 in) (6 × 2)
    16 × 10.5 cm (4.1 in) SK C/33 (8 × 2)
    16 × 3.7 cm (1.5 in) SK C/30 (8 × 2)
    20 × 2 cm (0.79 in) FlaK 30 (20 × 1)

Iowa
    World War II, Korea:
    9 × 16-inch (406 mm)/50 cal. Mark 7 guns
    20 × 5-inch (127 mm)/38 cal. Mark 12 guns
    80 × 40 mm/56 cal. Bofors
    49 × 20 mm/70 cal. Oerlikon[1]

Yamato and Musashi
    9 × 46 cm (18.1 in) (3×3)[4]
    12 × 155 mm (6.1 in) (4×3)[4]
    12 × 127 mm (5.0 in)[4]
    24 × 25 mm (0.98 in) (8×3)[4]
    4 × 13.2 mm (0.52 in) AA (2×2)[4]

But the Japanese were much less accurate and had shorter range with the 18" guns.

where are you getting your information?>

• @BJCard:

Hell, the Missouri has TOMAHAWKS…  I mean, what other battleship has missiles like that?

Also note that, from the mid-50s to the early 60s, the Iowa class battleships were able to deploy 16" nuclear artillery shells.  There’s no evidence that any were ever actually carried on any of the four ships, but one of them did fire a single inert practice round on one occasion.  The warhead was known as the W23, and it had a yield of about 15 to 20 kilotons.  It was a variant of the W19 “Katie” nuclear artillery shell, which was designed for use by US Army howitzers.

• @CWO:

@BJCard:

Hell, the Missouri has TOMAHAWKS… � I mean, what other battleship has missiles like that?

Also note that, from the mid-50s to the early 60s, the Iowa class battleships were able to deploy 16" nuclear artillery shells.  There’s no evidence that any were ever actually carried on any of the four ships, but one of them did fire a single inert practice round on one occasion.  The warhead was known as the W23, and it had a yield of about 15 to 20 kilotons.  It was a variant of the W19 “Katie” nuclear artillery shell, which was designed for use by US Army howitzers.

Had no idea.  Thanks for the ammo!

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

LOL Wow…

I can only imagine incoming NUCLEAR Artillery strikes…  that’s a whole lot of power.

• @BJCard:

Thanks for the ammo!

The Iowa-class captains probably said the same thing when they heard that the main batteries of their ships were getting nuclear projectiles!

Here’s a picture of the beast, by the way:

http://www.kbismarck.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2532

• Duke of York
    2. Missouri
    3. Yamato
    4. Bismarck
    5. Kongo
    6. Vittorio Veneto
    7. North Carolina
    8. Scharnhorst
    9. Jean Bart
    10. Alabama
    11. Nagato
    12. Texas
    13. Dunkerque
    14. Arkansas

the two toss ups for me were the Hood/Kongo and Nelson/North Carolina. but other than that, pretty much straight forward.

• 2024 2023 '22

@abworsham4

This is quite a late reply, but here is how it goes:
    World war 2 battleship competition:

Round 1:

Results:

1. Duke Of York
    2. Missouri
    3. Yamato
    4. Bismarck
    5. Kongo
    6. Vittorio Veneto
    7. North Carolina
    8. Jean Bart
    9. Scharnhorst
    10. Alabama
    11. Nagato
    12. Texas
    13. Hyuga
    14. Arkansas

Round 2:

Battles:

1. Duke Of York vs Missouri
    2. Yamato vs Bismarck
    3. Kongo vs Vittorio Veneto
    4. North Carolina vs Jean Bart
    5. Scharnhorst vs Alabama
    6. Nagato vs Texas
    7. Hyuga vs Arkansas

Results:

1. Missouri
    2. Yamato
    3. Vittorio Veneto
    4. North Carolina
    5. Alabama
    6. Nagato
    7. Hyuga

Round 3:

Battles:

1. Missouri vs Yamato
    2. Vittorio Veneto vs North Carolina
    3. Alabma vs Nagato
    4. Hyuga automatically goes to the next round

Results:

1. Yamato
    2. Alabama
    3. North Carolina
    4. Hyuga

Round 4:

Battles:

1. Yamato vs Alabama
    2. North Carolina vs Hyuga

Results:

1. Yamato
    2. North Carolina

Final round:

Battle:

1. Yamato vs North Carolina

Result:

1. Yamato

The closest battle was the Hood against the Kongo, and the Vittorio Veneto against the Kongo-the closest one though was the Missouri against the Yamato, and it really could have gone either way-at least it’s nice that the battle isn’t during a storm or anything other than a calm, clear, day, as otherwise it would have been a definite Missouri victory. Either way, the Yamato and the Missouri would have given as good as they got. In fact, it could have been so close that both sides would have sunk with only a few minutes separating them. The easiest battle was Missouri vs. Schleswig-Holstein-one broadside (or two) of the Missouri would have demolished the opponent.

• @superbattleshipyamato glad that discussion found more life

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m