Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• thanks i really appreciate it =) !

• Is aircraft mvmt separate from ship mvmt? Can ships move two spaces and then aircraft move four spaces after ship mvmt in the combat phase? I’m pretty sure it only applies for non-combat but I’m not sure about combat.

• Aircraft and ships move completely independently of each other.
    I like to think of it as once your turn starts, the planes take off of the carriers. They can then move their 4 movement points, and the carriers can move their 2 or 3 movement points. You don’t get to move the planes with the carrier 2 spaces and then planes an 4 additional spaces. They each move on their own.

There is an exception though if you have planes on an allied carrier. For example, say the Anzac have landed 2 fighters on a USA carrier.
    On the USA turn, those planes are treated as cargo on the carrier. The carrier can move its 2 or 3 spaces and it takes the fighters with them. Then, on the Anzac turn the fighters get their normal 4 movement points.

• Great, that answers my question.

• Quick questions:

Can infantry(and other 1 move units)  load and offload from transports in a single round, since loading and offloading is described as a special rule?
    Assuming US planes can reach europe in turn 1, since the no trespassing SZ 102 apply only to ships, what would happen in this scenario:
    1 - Germany does not take over normandy in turn 1, leaving it to Italy to capture, so the U.S. land its Strategical Bomber there. Would an attack there draw US into war?
    2 - US Move its Strategical bomber to london in its 1st turn. Would Germany be forced to declare war on US to attempt sealion? (this is assuming the p. 15 rule that says a power can’t attack a territory controlled by or containing units belonging to a power with which it is not at war)

• '17

@gkothe:

Assuming US planes can reach europe in turn 1, since the no trespassing SZ 102 apply only to ships, what would happen in this scenario:
    1 - Germany does not take over normandy in turn 1, leaving it to Italy to capture, so the U.S. land its Strategical Bomber there. Would an attack there draw US into war?
    2 - US Move its Strategical bomber to london in its 1st turn. Would Germany be forced to declare war on US to attempt sealion? (this is assuming the p. 15 rule that says a power can’t attack a territory controlled by or containing units belonging to a power with which it is not at war)

You can’t move any US land/air units onto any non-US territory until the US is at war.

• USA could only send units to Europe on USA1 after a Japan or Germany DOW (Japan DOW on UK/ANZ and/or USA)

• @gkothe:

Quick questions:

Can infantry(and other 1 move units)  load and offload from transports in a single round, since loading and offloading is described as a special rule?

Yes, they can.  You can load ground units onto transports, move the transports if desired, and unload the same ground units all in the same phase/turn.

Italy cannot attack Normandy (that has a USA bomber on it) without declaring war on the USA.  As Wheatbeer said, the USA would have to be at war with at least 1 Axis power to legally move anything to Normandy.

2 - US Move its Strategical bomber to london in its 1st turn. Would Germany be forced to declare war on US to attempt sealion? (this is assuming the p. 15 rule that says a power can�t attack a territory controlled by or containing units belonging to a power with which it is not at war)

Yes, you have to declare war on all powers with ground units on a territory before attacking that territory.

• Hey guys, this is my first time posting anywhere on this forum so bear with me if this has been asked already or I’m posting in the wrong area but I couldn’t find my answer anywhere.

Me and my buddies have been very long time (occasional) players of A&A since like '87 and after a fairly long hiatus I’m trying to get us back into it. We’ve played the new 1942 and I now want us to tackle G40 (both 2nd edition).

My question is, are the 2nd edition rulebooks that come with the games the complete definitive versions of the rules? I assume that they include all the Alpha +3 stuff that I’ve read about but are there any additional updates or errata for the 2nd edition rules now? I can’t find anything anywhere so I’m assuming the printed rule books are complete but I just want to double check here before we play so I know that we are totally up date.

Thanks guys and kudos to a great site.

• 2nd edition rulebooks definitely include Alpha3.  It pretty much is Alpha3, except for like 2 very minor tweaks after Alpha3 that makes 2nd edition different than Alpha3.

The only thing you’d be missing is the answers to questions that are commonly asked about the 2nd edition rulebook, and that is pretty much what this thread is for.  So if you have any questions about your 2nd edition rulebooks, you can certainly ask them here.

But the short answer is - yes, the 2nd edition rulebooks are good and you don’t need to find supplements to be complete.

• Cool. I kind of figured that but thank you for the clarification.

If we come upon some wacky strategies that I can’t figure out the procedures for and I can’t find a similar solution already posted then “I shall return!”

See what I did there….    :-D

Thanks again.

• TripleA

I cannot remember. If I war with neutrals do I have to attack them before flying units over them or can I just go? Like Afghanistan for example? Flying air between Russia and India

• '12

you cannot fly over them in combat on the turn you attack them, except to attack them.  you can, however, fly over any neutral WHICH YOU HAVE ATTACKED THAT TURN in noncom.

• You can never fly over a neutral that has never been attacked.  (Note that if a power takes control of a neutral, it is no longer neutral)

You can attack a strict neutral and then fly off in a different direction in that non-com move, effectively flying over it.

Example: You can attack Afghanistan for the first time with units that include fighters from Moscow, and those fighters can then continue on to India in non-com.  Once Afghanistan has been attacked by anything at all, air from both sides may freely fly over it for the rest of the game.  However, other strict neutrals that have not been attacked, say Spain for instance, are still neutral and no one on either side may fly over.

Players really have to keep track of which strict neutrals have been attacked and which have not, for flyover purposes (and landing purposes).  The TripleA engine does not take this into account - does not track it for you.  Players could use the game notes function to track it.

• TripleA

I remember now. Such a funny rule.

• Official Q&A

@Napping:

My question is, are the 2nd edition rulebooks that come with the games the complete definitive versions of the rules? I assume that they include all the Alpha +3 stuff that I’ve read about but are there any additional updates or errata for the 2nd edition rules now?

Also see the FAQs.

• Great. Thanks again!

• One other quick question as I’m making my notes. With Industrial Complexes, Air Bases and Naval Bases, are you limited to the number of markers there are (like with the combat pieces such as planes and tanks etc) or if you run out of IC, AB and NB markers can you just substitute a cardboard piece, or something, if you want to keep building them. I checked the FAQ’s, the rules and did a search and I couldn’t find anything. We haven’t played G40 yet, maybe no one comes close to building that many IC’s or bases….

• There is no limit, Napping Soldier. You can build as many as you like, but only one each per territory, of course.

• You are not allowed to build naval bases in a territory with no access to a sea zone…

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m