Axis and Allies Europe 1940 2nd Edition ( AAE40.2) FAQ/question

• Quick question about the rules in axis and allies europe 1940 SE pertaining to transports. Here is the senario. in round one, On italy’s turn, Great Britain has all of its mediterainian surface warships in sea zone 96(the zone around malta), and a lone transport sitting in sea zone 99 (off the coast of greece)with no allied aircraft capable of scrampling into sea zone 99. in other words, the british transport is a “sitting duck!” Italy has transports, and surface warships in sea zones 97 and 95.

Can Italy conduct an amphibious attack on british occupied egypt, by bringing its loaded transports, and possibly warships, from sea zone 97 through sea zone 99, to sea zone 98, and unloading their transports in egypt, WHILE at the same time sending one of its fighters or the bomber from southern italy, or even another warship, to sea zone 98 to take out the british transport? Or does the act of attacking the british transport in sea zone 98 create a sea zone battle and prevent the italian tansports and any other surface warships from passing through to egypt?

• @tbaz26:

Quick question about the rules in axis and allies europe 1940 SE pertaining to transports. Here is the senario. in round one, On italy’s turn, Great Britain has all of its mediterainian surface warships in sea zone 96(the zone around malta), and a lone transport sitting in sea zone 99 (off the coast of greece)with no allied aircraft capable of scrampling into sea zone 99. in other words, the british transport is a “sitting duck!” Italy has transports, and surface warships in sea zones 97 and 95.

Can Italy conduct an amphibious attack on british occupied egypt, by bringing its loaded transports, and possibly warships, from sea zone 97 through sea zone 99, to sea zone 98, and unloading their transports in egypt, WHILE at the same time sending one of its fighters or the bomber from southern italy, or even another warship, to sea zone 98 to take out the british transport? Or does the act of attacking the british transport in sea zone 98 create a sea zone battle and prevent the italian tansports and any other surface warships from passing through to egypt?

Submarines and transports NEVER block passage.  You’re free to send a warplane to clean up SZ99 and still move units through 99 to 98.

• I know there are some differences with the sculpts in the 2nd edition from the 1st.  I have the first and I was wondering if it was worth getting the 2nd edition just for the sculpts…I just got a great deal for both europe and pacific and now I am questioning whether I should have spent the money on the 2nd edition…

Since the map is the same and I can download the 2nd ed rules, is there somewhere I can get the 2nd edition units in bulk instead of individually?  I looked on historical gaming and after you buy what comes in the game, you have spent more than buying the whole game new…

• Do air units in AAE19402nd get to fire a casualty shot?

• @Grossdeutschland:

Do air units in AAE19402nd get to fire a casualty shot?

Please be more specific.  All units get to fire a casualty shot except for naval units hit by submarines when sub rules are in effect.  Otherwise, any unit hit during the attackers round will fire in the defenders round.

Unless you mean after being hit by AA.  Units hit by AA are removed from combat without firing back.

• Can you combine the version 1 gameboard of Axis and Allies Europe with the version 2 gameboard of Axis and Allies Pacific? I believe the board has remained the same. So it shouldn’t be an issue. I wanted to be certain however.

Cheers

• Official Q&A

Yes.  The Europe map has not changed at all.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

@Krieghund:

Yes.  The Europe map has not changed at all.

Didn’t the Yukon territory get removed?

I mean, that’s a high traffic area!

• okay question about amphibious assaults and scrambling.

europe map.

USA lands in Denmark and opens up the straight. Large navy accompaning US transports.

3 german planes in western germany did not scramble.

UK’s turn. Moves one transport loaded with land units from sea zone 110 has 3 movement.
    transport moves into 112 and 113 wants to land in Germany when their are only anti aircraft in territory.
    Note 1 movement left.
    Western Germany scramble a plane.

I have always played that the transport is sunk.

Amphibious Assault Sequence
    1. Sea combat
    2. Battleship and cruiser bombardment
    3. Land combat

Sea combat occured when the planes scrambled and made it a hostile zone.
    Combat occurs. The defensless transport kicks in and the battle is over.

Defenseless Transports
    In a sea battle, if the defender has only transports remaining and the attacker still has units capable
    of attacking, the defending transports are all destroyed, along with their cargo. You don’t have
    to continue rolling dice until all the transports receive hits. This will speed up combats. This also occurs if the only combat units remaining can’t hit each other. For example, if the defender has only transports and submarines remaining, and the attacker has only air units remaining, the air units and submarines can’t hit each other, so the transports are defenseless. At this point, defenseless transports are all destroyed, along with
    their cargo. Attacking transports are not usually considered defenseless, since they generally have the option of retreating. If they can’t retreat, they are treated the same as defending transports. Destroying defenseless transports in this way still counts as combat for the purpose

So two questions?

1. Is the transport destroyed by the scrambled airplane since their was no naval support for it?

2. Can the transport retreat back to sea zone 112 before combat occurs?

I say yes it is destroyed and no it cannot retreat until one full round of general combat occurs.

General Combat Sequence
    1. Place units along the battle strip
    2. Submarine surprise strike or submerge
    (sea battles only)
    3. Attacking units fire
    4. Defending units fire
    5. Remove defender’s casualties
    6. Press attack or retreat
    7. Conclude combat

• Afternoon Sir Cala.
    The scrambling Fighter(s) would get one round of combat. If the Transport is still afloat, it can retreat one hex as you said. The cargo would still be on board.
    The defensive transport rule only applies in defence. In attack it needs to be hit.

• okay but what does this mean

Attacking transports … If they can�t retreat, they are treated the same as defending transports. Destroying defenseless transports in this way still counts as combat for the purpose

when would an attacking transport not be able to retreat?

• Official Q&A

When it began its turn in a hostile sea zone and could not move through a friendly one during combat movement in order to establish a retreat route.

• Hi all, I recently encountered a situation that I couldn’t find a resolution for in the rule book.

Germany attacked the British navy in SZ 110 with it’s battleship and cruiser and some planes. I scrambled 3 fighters from United Kingdom to help defend. Germany was also going to do a strategic bombing of the production facility in UK. The flight path of the bombers was Western Germany > Holland Belgium > SZ 110 > UK and then back. So my question is this: Since all combat happens simultaneously and being that SZ 110 is a combat zone with British planes involved in the combat, is Germany able to fly bombers through the combat zone on their bombing mission, or would they have to go around it?

Thanks for your help!

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Dr. Gravy.

The bombers can fly through.  Combat movement happens before combat.

• Related to the previous question.  The FAQ for Europe 1st edition (not in the global section of the FAQ) says that London cannot scramble since it’s not an island.  I am assuming that 2nd ed. rules supersedes this and London can indeed scramble?

Thanks.

• Official Q&A

Correct.  Scrambling is not limited to islands in the 2nd edition.

• '14

Can air bases be built on islands? I believe they can be. I have had countless debates (more like arguments) with other players (majority on the losing end), that they cant be. Although you do begin the game with said bases already on islands (Iceland, Carolines, Hawaii, Midway etc) it is argued that these are the exceptions and that you can not erect air bases on islands (not being tactically advantageous has never came up in our debates). The rules state the “Air bases can be built on any controlled territory.” Again, the argument is that An Island is not a Territory (Kind of like the all thumbs are fingers, but fingers are not thumbs)

Anyone care to be the mediator here?

• You’ve got it right, your friends have their logic backwards. All islands are territories, but not all territories are islands. They might be recalling the rule that Industrial Complexes cannot be built on islands (Japan is the exception) and extending it to all structures, but you actually can build air/naval bases on islands.

• '14

@ColonelCarter:

You’ve got it right, your friends have their logic backwards. All islands are territories, but not all territories are islands. They might be recalling the rule that Industrial Complexes cannot be built on islands (Japan is the exception) and extending it to all structures, but you actually can build air/naval bases on islands.

Thanks Col Carter

• I bought my Europe version today and I have two different UK markers: they have the flag of the United Kingdom (instead of the normal markers) on it. Does it have a different use?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m