Axis and Allies Europe 1940 2nd Edition ( AAE40.2) FAQ/question

• Afternoon Sir Cala.
    The scrambling Fighter(s) would get one round of combat. If the Transport is still afloat, it can retreat one hex as you said. The cargo would still be on board.
    The defensive transport rule only applies in defence. In attack it needs to be hit.

• okay but what does this mean

Attacking transports … If they can�t retreat, they are treated the same as defending transports. Destroying defenseless transports in this way still counts as combat for the purpose

when would an attacking transport not be able to retreat?

• Official Q&A

When it began its turn in a hostile sea zone and could not move through a friendly one during combat movement in order to establish a retreat route.

• Hi all, I recently encountered a situation that I couldn’t find a resolution for in the rule book.

Germany attacked the British navy in SZ 110 with it’s battleship and cruiser and some planes. I scrambled 3 fighters from United Kingdom to help defend. Germany was also going to do a strategic bombing of the production facility in UK. The flight path of the bombers was Western Germany > Holland Belgium > SZ 110 > UK and then back. So my question is this: Since all combat happens simultaneously and being that SZ 110 is a combat zone with British planes involved in the combat, is Germany able to fly bombers through the combat zone on their bombing mission, or would they have to go around it?

Thanks for your help!

• Official Q&A

Welcome, Dr. Gravy.

The bombers can fly through.  Combat movement happens before combat.

• Related to the previous question.  The FAQ for Europe 1st edition (not in the global section of the FAQ) says that London cannot scramble since it’s not an island.  I am assuming that 2nd ed. rules supersedes this and London can indeed scramble?

Thanks.

• Official Q&A

Correct.  Scrambling is not limited to islands in the 2nd edition.

• '14

Can air bases be built on islands? I believe they can be. I have had countless debates (more like arguments) with other players (majority on the losing end), that they cant be. Although you do begin the game with said bases already on islands (Iceland, Carolines, Hawaii, Midway etc) it is argued that these are the exceptions and that you can not erect air bases on islands (not being tactically advantageous has never came up in our debates). The rules state the “Air bases can be built on any controlled territory.” Again, the argument is that An Island is not a Territory (Kind of like the all thumbs are fingers, but fingers are not thumbs)

Anyone care to be the mediator here?

• You’ve got it right, your friends have their logic backwards. All islands are territories, but not all territories are islands. They might be recalling the rule that Industrial Complexes cannot be built on islands (Japan is the exception) and extending it to all structures, but you actually can build air/naval bases on islands.

• '14

@ColonelCarter:

You’ve got it right, your friends have their logic backwards. All islands are territories, but not all territories are islands. They might be recalling the rule that Industrial Complexes cannot be built on islands (Japan is the exception) and extending it to all structures, but you actually can build air/naval bases on islands.

Thanks Col Carter

• I bought my Europe version today and I have two different UK markers: they have the flag of the United Kingdom (instead of the normal markers) on it. Does it have a different use?

• If you’re playing global the roundels with the Union Jack on them are for UK Pac.

• From the rulebook:

Global United Kingdom Rules
    One Power, Two Economies
    The United Kingdom is one power that has two separate
    economies: Europe and Pacific. The income levels
    and IPC treasuries for the two economies are tracked
    separately. The “Union Jack” national control markers are
    for tracking the Pacific economy’s income level on the
    National Production Chart.

• Thank you :)

• Hey all, summer tour of 2014 is coming to a close finally….after visits in Guam, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Phillipines, Korea, and soon to be Nagasaki, I’m ready to come home!  I just bought the 2nd edition of Pac 40, but looking at the price differences for Euro 40 and 2nd edition Euro 40, 1st edition is 20 dollars cheaper…should I just buy the 2nd edition as well, or can I survive being a cheapskate on it…Hope all is well with you!

• @Mallery29:

Hey all, summer tour of 2014 is coming to a close finally….after visits in Guam, Vietnam, Hong Kong, Phillipines, Korea, and soon to be Nagasaki, I’m ready to come home!  I just bought the 2nd edition of Pac 40, but looking at the price differences for Euro 40 and 2nd edition Euro 40, 1st edition is 20 dollars cheaper…should I just buy the 2nd edition as well, or can I survive being a cheapskate on it…Hope all is well with you!

If you haven’t bought it yet, I recommend just paying for the 2nd edition. I currently have 2nd ed euro and 1st ed pacific and it’s just annoying to look up the small rules differences all the time online. And I think the new pieces make the game a little cooler. It’s up to you, but if you want to make things easy on yourself get 2nd :P

• Sorry in advance for what has probably been asked before but I have a quick question regarding submarines:

Specifically this involves the G1 battle for sz109. Germany has brought two subs against the UK DD and TT. The UK decides to scramble but on the first round of combat Germany scores a hit. Since UK can neither choose the Fighters nor TT as casualties, she must choose the DD. The DD can still return fire of course, but since it is now dead the fighters cannot fire at all, correct?

Thanks!

• the UK fighters would be able to fire in the first round, after that they wouldn’t be able to because the dd wont’ be around.

• Thanks for the quick reply!

• The official FAQ has been updated per September 3, 2014.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=ah/faqs

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m