Global 2nd edition Q+A ( AAG40.2)

• @Frank:

I have a question about where US ships can move before US enters war.  From my understanding they can not enter a sea zone adjacent to a Japanese controlled sea zone.  For instance does that mean they could not enter sea zone 6 but could enter one space next to it? Or does it mean they can’t move one space next to it as well while not at war?

@rulebook:

Political Situation: The United States begins the game at war with no one. In addition to the normal restrictions (see
    “Powers Not at War with One Another,” page 15), while it’s not at war with Japan, the United States may not move any units
    into or through China or end the movement of its sea units in sea zones that are adjacent to Japan-controlled territories. While
    not at war with Germany or Italy, the United States may end the movement of its sea units on the Europe map only in sea
    zones that are adjacent to U.S. territories, with one exception: U.S. warships (not transports) may also conduct long-range
    patrols into sea zone 102.

So in your example US ships may enter SZ 6, but only if they are able to pass through it, as they may not end their movement there.
    They may end their movement for example in SZ 7 or SZ 16 or SZ 18.

• @Frank:

I have a question about where US ships can move before US enters war.  From my understanding they can not enter a sea zone adjacent to a Japanese controlled sea zone.  For instance does that mean they could not enter sea zone 6 but could enter one space next to it? Or does it mean they can’t move one space next to it as well while not at war?

Thanks,

The US cannot end it’s movement in a SZ next to a Japanese controlled territory, before it’s at war. As Panther mentioned, you can move THROUGH them. Just not end in them.

• @Krieghund:

There seems to be a pattern emerging here.  Apparently only patrons (and other special people  :wink:) have the search button enabled.

This certainly does not inspire me to make any sort of donation. Otherwise, I really do dig the site. I can’t believe that such a place exists where so many enthusiasts of a game that Milton Bradley gave up on can interact with each other. The access to information and actual people who talk to the designer of the game is an awesome resource for a game that features so many possibilities and variables that good rules clarity and boundaries is a must. The turnaround time on responses is lightning quick, too.

I won’t use the rules FAQ to talk about this anymore. If anyone knows the answer to the mystery of the missing search button please message me.

• Official Q&A

Milton Bradley didn’t “give up on” A&A.  Milton Bradley is owned by Hasbro.  When Hasbro also bought Avalon Hill, it transferred A&A over to that company, seeing it as a better fit.  Later, Hasbro bought Wizards of the Coast and put Avalon Hill under it.

• @Gamerman01:

OK kcdzim, so what we need is for you to donate $50 to the site (or you can donate the bronze amount first and see if that works) and if you then get the search function, we will know for sure.

And yes, you should do it because you’re a rules deputy and that function would help you greatly.  :-)

I would consider that once the missus is done with her PhD program and a member of the working week.  Until then I rely on memory, rule book or the google search.

• Whoa - is she going to be more educated than you, then?

And can you retire once she starts working?  You know, to pursue your A&A dreams and goals?

• @Krieghund:

Milton Bradley didn’t “give up on” A&A.  Milton Bradley is owned by Hasbro.  When Hasbro also bought Avalon Hill, it transferred A&A over to that company, seeing it as a better fit.  Later, Hasbro bought Wizards of the Coast and put Avalon Hill under it.

I thought Milton Bradley decided to discontinue it and Avalon Hill picked it up before they were bought by Hasbro. I’m just glad somebody decided to keep producing the game and letting it evolve.

• Is blitzing through unfriendly neutrals with no standing army units allowed?

i.e. Italian tank blitzes from Iraq through NW Persia into Persia

• @mgonzo777:

Is blitzing through unfriendly neutrals with no standing army units allowed?

Yes

• I have a question about mongolia, i think i’ve been playing ‘wrong’ this whole time.

I played about 8 global games so far, and in every game, the mongolian infantry was automatically turned into russian units at beginning of turn 4, even without japanese attack (i don’t know why, someone taught me the game this way i guess). Yesterday i played a G42 game, and before the match i asked the status of mongolia on LH forums, since the G42 game supposedly ‘starts at turn 4’, and i was surprised to find out, by reading the rulebook, that mongolia never automatically activates itself at turn 4, they will only turn russian “If Japan attacks a Russian controlled territory bordering Mongolia”.

So russia can declare war on japan at turn 4, but that doesn’t change mongolia neutrality, and if russia happens to attack manchuria or korea, mongolia will stay neutral forever. Is this right?

Man, talk about reading comprehension :D

• The turn 4 requirement only applies to declaring war on Germany and Italy, not Japan.
    Russia can declare war on Japan on R1.

You should read my Mongolia guide, here:
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=30776.new#new

and then if you still have questions, feel free to ask here on the FAQ thread

• @mgonzo777:

Is blitzing through unfriendly neutrals with no standing army units allowed?

Actually, Mgonzo, I recommend you read the Mongolia/neutrals “guide” that I created, also.  Use the link in the above post
    That guide addresses the blitzing unfriendly neutrals question and much more.

• I think it makes sense that you should be able to blitz through unfriendly and true neutrals on a combat move. It’s an attack, just as with hostile territories. I just don’t see any evidence of this either way in the rulebook. Do you have a reference for this?

Look at these two rules out of the AAG40.2 rulebook:
    Tanks, Mechanized Infantry, and Blitzing

A tank can “blitz” by moving through an unoccupied hostile territory as the first part of a move that can end in a
    friendly or hostile territory.

Territories

All territories exist in one of three conditions:

Friendly: Controlled by you or a friendly power.
    Hostile: Controlled by a power with which you are at war.
    Neutral: Not controlled by any power, or controlled by a power on the other side with which you are not yet at war

My blitzing question is two part:

1. Where on this spectrum do unfriendly and friendly neutrals fall? You can’t blitz through friendly neutrals. That is clearly stated. My understanding was that until an enemy power that was at war activated an unfriendly neutral by moving land units into it, the territory was neutral because it was not controlled by any power. Are unfriendly neutrals to be considered hostile territories before activation by an enemy power at war? Or are they neutral until the side they are sympathetic to declare war?

2. Where’s the clarification for blitzing in regards to neutral territories?

• Page 11 of the rulebook

Unfriendly neutrals:
    “When a neutral territory is invaded, it’s no longer considered neutral and immediately becomes part of the alliance opposing the power that attacked it”

Strict neutrals:
    “Strict neutrals are treated exactly the same way as unfriendly neutrals” (except for the way they all turn against you if you attack one)

So unfriendly and strict neutrals become hostile immediately upon attacking them.  This is why you can blitz them with tanks.

• '17

Scenario:
    Germany captures London on G3 and ends that turn with loaded carriers in SZ110.
    Americans attack the German fleet in SZ110 damaging the German carriers on US3, forcing German planes to land in friendly territory and choose to land on London.
    The British attack the surviving fleet in SZ110 on UK3.

Can Germany scramble from the London airbase on UK3?

I ask because the rules say:
    “If you capture an air base or naval base, you can’t use the added flight or sea movement or receive repairs until your next turn”
    It doesn’t say scrambling, but I could see someone interpreting “added flight movement” that way.

• @wheatbeer:

Can Germany scramble from the London airbase on UK3?

I ask because the rules say:
    “If you capture an air base or naval base, you can’t use the added flight or sea movement or receive repairs until your next turn”
    It doesn’t say scrambling, but I could see someone interpreting “added flight movement” that way.

Yes, Germany can scramble from the London airbase on UK3.

Added flight or sea movement is surely referring to adding a movement point to aircraft or naval units starting their turn at the base, and not referring to scrambling in any way.

There is nothing in the scrambling rules that says “unless the air base has not yet been controlled for a full round”.  If you had to wait until the conqueror’s next turn to scramble, it would say so in the rule book.

• '17

Thanks  :-)

Good thing too, 12 of my transports are riding on it  :lol:

• hello, were going to play a global game and i was wondering, does the us start with its major complexes, or do they start with minor complexes and once the US is at war they get an  upgrade to major. Its been a long while since i set my teeth in a global game looking forward to it :p thanks

• In 2nd edition, USA starts with minor complexes which get upgraded immediately when USA is at war

• thanks another question comes to mind in the revised edition france has a fighter in Uk can it scramble in defense when Germany attacks the royal navy or is it limited to the seazone containing the  French cruiser

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m