• Well said Guys. I love the way the technology worked with buying tokens. It encouraged players to buy them. I was shocked when Global 40 didn’t work the same way. I love global 40 for the scope but it had too many issues OOB.

• I love the AE…but im hoping the second editions of europe and pacific 40 are better

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

I’d have to say Axis and Allies Revised enhanced - if we are including official house rules (a contradiction I suppose, but not that bad of one really, if you think about it.)

Otherwise, I’m not sure.  Sort of a tie between Anniversary, Revised and Alpha 2 of Global I guess.

• Anniversary may well be the best of the bunch but I’ll always love Classic the best.  I was 12 in 1984 and a whole new world opened up to me that year.  So many good memories….my life changed forever.

• @Cmdr:

I’d have to say Axis and Allies Revised enhanced - if we are including official house rules (a contradiction I suppose, but not that bad of one really, if you think about it.)

I agree with Jen here.  If we include house rules that were somewhat more widely used than your own small play group in your city, then AARe made Revised one hell of a rules set to play.  Best ever.

I was mad they came out with AA50 so soon after Revised (5 years?).  This was just when AARe was fine tuned and ready to be accepted by more and more A&A players.

Out of the box, AA50 rules.

• TripleA '12

I vote A&A50 being the best ever released. It’s the only version my group plays.

• I agree with you guys that say revised was a great game. My buddies and I got some mileage out of that game. AA50 is just a little bit bigger and I really liked the technology rules. Revised kind of got thrown on the scrap heap and it shouldn’t have. I think it was better than 1942.

You know, I have to say, of all the games out there and all the games my home team played, the actual Revised game never made it out of my box.  It was a weird time, we were all in different stages of going to college, training in respective armed services, or getting jobs at the time.  We slammed Classic hard, then my new buddies and I slammed AARe/Anniversary hard, now I’m back with the original crew doing global 40A2 (we decided Larry was on crack when he wrote A3, so we don’t play it at home.)

• With europe, pacific and 42 all getting reprints this year what do you think the odds are that anniversary also gets reprinted?

• @Azrael:

With europe, pacific and 42 all getting reprints this year what do you think the odds are that anniversary also gets reprinted?

I dont think it will get reprinted…the 1942 2nd edition is what they used to “reprint” the AE…the AE i truly think was a one time thing…

• @Azrael:

With europe, pacific and 42 all getting reprints this year what do you think the odds are that anniversary also gets reprinted?

Zero chance (imho).  It was an “50th Anniversary” limited edition.

I do think that, all games taken straight out of the box (no house-rules/errata/online rules updates taken into consideration) that AA50th is by far the best of the bunch too.

• WOW!!! It is a landslide. Hard to believe they are not going to reprint this game. Take a look at this poll Wizards of the clueless and you might actually get a clue. There is a reason this game is winning in a landslide.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Well they certainly aren’t the Wizards of Capitalism… that’s for sure.

They should be taking note, that there has been a substantial secondary market for alot of their Axis and Allies games…

• @Cmdr:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/axis-and-allies-50th-anniversary-edition-/140809044607?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20c8df827f

There, you can have your own copy.

better grab it quick cuz IM the one who is selling it…im just waiting for the 2nd editions of Europe and Pacific…

the game is in great shape and in excellent condition…

rjl518 is also lasdon518…so hurry and get it

• someone placed a bid on it…game closes on saturday

I have 7 copies…I dont need another one RJL. lol (yes, I have 2 copies for playing and 5 copies for collecting.  You want one?  $5,000 is the lowest offer I’ll entertain - but you get one of each of the Axis and Allies games in mint - still in the box - condition.)

:P

• Oh no…Commander, im just telling others who wanted a copy of the game, Ma’am!  Im sure a high ranking naval officer like yourself doesnt need so many copies of this great game.  I just cant wait for the 2nd editions of Europe and Pacific to be released in September.

• My vote is defiantly AA50, it can cover all players experience from first timer to master. The system is the stepping stone to G40, and some G40 rules can be house ruled into AA50 pretty easy. Tech is also the best, even if you tone it down a bit.

We are playing AA50 now for the first time in over a year (maybe 2). I bought and we played a couple games of the new 1942 II over last weekend. It was cool, but we thought why play the poor mans version when I have AA50. So in a way the 1942 II has re-sparked our interest in Anniversary. We are now in our 2nd game with tech (AA50 1942 set-up). We have tweaked a few things (borrowed from G40) like a straight rule, BB’s repair beginning of your next turn, tanks at 6 IPCs, and the new rules for AA guns. We are having a great time and will continue down this path for some time. It is a refreshing change from G40.

I think what I like the best is there are 2 set-ups in the same box for AA50. I would love if G40 came with a 1941 set-up in the reprint. I have played Oztea’s 41 set-up for global a couple times and to his credit it was quite cool. I think he may have went a little overboard with units in the set-up though (the box is nearly empty once you set-up LOL).

• The gap keeps getting bigger. Even if they don’t redo this game. I wish Larry would take some of these ideas like the tech rules and the multiple start dates and incorporate them into Global 40. It would be awesome if we had a 42 setup for global. I also wish each country had their national advantages like they had in Revised.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m