• Have not seen that. No opinion

BUT:

Reading about it makes it not a war movie, but rather the story of sailors who died from shark attacks.

The war events are not driving the story, the focus is on what they do to cope with the sharks.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

How are War events not driving the story?

They deliver the atomic bomb, and that’s why no-one knows where they are, and they are sunk by the Japanese, all true historical events, and it’s the story of the war-battle for survival, based on REAL characters, and REAL events, that drive the war story.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102455/

True Story + Driven by War Events = War movie.

Following your ever-correct lead:

It is based on memoirs of a marine and his account and experiences during the Pacific War. The war is entirely driving the plot and the characters are real people.

with a simple adjustment to this:

It is based on memoirs of a marine sailors and his thier account and experiences during the Pacific War. The war is entirely driving the plot and the characters are real people.

http://www.imdb.com/chart/war

Amazing IL!  The FILM community on a WHOLE, totally disagree’s with your entire sentiment on war movies! That’s terrible!

I propose you and I write some letters to them, how could they be so wrong!  Clearly our combined IQ, is superior to the entire film industry put together.

Those Fanatics, holding to their ideals, that the Painist is a war movie, pfftp.

• Amazing IL!  The FILM community on a WHOLE, totally disagree’s with your entire sentiment on war movies! That’s terrible!

I propose you and I write some letters to them, how could they be so wrong!  Clearly our combined IQ, is superior to the entire film industry put together.

Those Fanatics, holding to their ideals, that the Painist is a war movie, pfftp.

Sigh…

That list is bogus. The Great Dictator is a comedy! Not a war movie. Just because you find a list on the internet where people voted does not make truth or an argument. Try again.

You really should read before posting. Please.

Just because someone refuses to admit when they are wrong, doesn’t make them right.

Ironically, that’s the moral of the story in Battle of the Bulge.

You should watch that great Drama again, and learn the lesson for yourself. :)

• How are War events not driving the story?

They deliver the atomic bomb, and that’s why no-one knows where they are, and they are sunk by the Japanese, all true historical events, and it’s the story of the war-battle for survival, based on REAL characters, and REAL events, that drive the war story.

"True story of the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis, its crew’s struggle to survive the sharks and exposure, and the captain’s scape-goat court-martial. "

Yea its not really a war movie. Problem is that it’s more a Historical account of events not relating directly to War.

I mean you could have a “war movie” about women serving as nurses in London and it can be accurate and based on real people, but it’s not a war movie.

War movies need battles fought more or less along the Historical narrative. Other than the sinking of the ship by a sub, thats it for the “war part”

• Just because someone refuses to admit when they are wrong, doesn’t make them right.

Ironically, that’s the moral of the story in Battle of the Bulge.

The actual moral of the story was to stage the American experience in dealing with adversity thru bravery

If it was anything else, it was about “plain soldiers” leading Waffen SS Panzer Divisions, who served under Himmler and were declared responsible for killing Americans at Malmedy :mrgreen:

You should watch that great War Movie again, and learn the lesson for yourself :-D

• Aren´t all Hollywood made warmovies fictional??! :? 8-)

and who is Jochen Pieper? that book can´t even spell Joachim Peiper right…lol

so Das boot is the closest to a “Warmovie” then huh?!?..

…Taxi, Taxi…

• TripleA '12

WWII movies I love:

A Bridge Too Far
    Cross Of Iron
    Downfall
    Come And See
    Stalingrad
    The Night Of The Generals
    Schindler’s List

• For what it is worth I understand what IL is getting at perfectly and can agree with it. While the broader movie going public or even those of us here might not make the modestly subtle distinction it is a distinction worth making.

I suggest that something like “Saving Private Ryan” is a hybrid of the two types IL distinguishes. The beginning of that movie is very much driven by the events of the day. While the details vary and we are dealing with fictional characters the landing scenes follow very much along the lines of historical accounts in a similar way to “Battle of the Bulge” making it a war movie. It then moves on to become a story that happens during war and thus not a war movie.

Perhaps a further distinction on the lines of all squares are rectangles but not all rectangles are squares can be reached.

• Good post Frimmel I also agree on that.

So the Pianist is a war movie?

• Customizer

@Gargantua:

So the Pianist is a war movie?

I don’t know if it is or not but someone should give that pianist a sandwich.

• Pianist is a war movie?

No. It is a very good movie, but the events don’t include or are driven by Historical battles. The story is more about the Jewish plight of living in Nazi Germany and how things went from bad to worse.

• I tend to include things like “The Pianist” and “The Best Years of Our Lives” and “Schindler’s List” as war movies but I’ve always felt it needed some sort of sub classification because it isn’t a story pushed along by the course of the battle. “Patton” for instance is probably more properly considered a biopic.

Is Breaveheart a war movie?

Actually… isn’t TROY a war movie? by the definitions provided?

• Braveheart is not a War movie ,it´s a Lovestory and the real story is been changed.
    It wasn´t Intrigue wich led to a victory over the Scots men, it was that they were mostly Farmers and decided to cease war before the winter and settle it for their own future to be able to still provide for their Families and their country.
    It was quiet possible for them to win the war over England.

• isn’t TROY a war movie? by the definitions provided?

Troy was made to sell tickets to women because Brad Pitt has his shirt off like 99% of the time. The Historical timeline and facts are sorta embellished and over hyped. I dont think it is a war movie because the story is mostly driven by characters and love interests.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m