GARGANTUA's K.I.S.S. TripleA Instructions

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Some other places for information
    Part 1: Introduction: http://youtu.be/MX9ehmKFdmI
    Part 2: How to play online: http://youtu.be/pIE3rpDD6PM
    Part 3: How to async, play by email, and play by forum: http://youtu.be/c9cfHsoWQoI
    Part 4: Advanced features: http://youtu.be/FtaSoypRveg
    Variance’s Youtube Walkthrough: https://youtu.be/xGWe3lBanVA

These instructions are CLICK by CLICK it will only take approx 3 MIN to go through this, once it is downloaded.

SCROLL DOWN 1 LINE AT A TIME

1. Download the game from the link below.
    http://www.triplea-game.org/download

While it’s DOWNLOADING go here and register your email address
    https://dice.marti.triplea-game.org/

2. INSTALL IT - by double clicking on it
    -click any yes’s that appear.

3. RUN THE SHORTCUT
    -A grey box will appear on your screen, You are ready to play tripleA

4. Click CHOOSE GAME
    -This is where you pick if you want to play Anniversary, global, or whatever. For the purpose of copywright protection, some names had to be changed, but you’ll figure it out FAST.

5. Pick any game (they show up on the left) and press OK

6. Now Click START LOCAL GAME

7. It asks you for each country, if a human or computer is playing - choose from the menus according- And click PLAY

CONGRATULATIONS YOU ARE NOW PLAYING TRIPLE A!!! WTF YOU DID IT! YOU ARE AMAZING! GO FOR A SMOKE, BUY YOURSELF A BEER, AND CALL YOUR EX GF TO TELL HER YOU’RE BACK IN HER LIFE!

Now for the most PAINFUL part, learning how to Play By Forum.
    We’ll start with playing a game someone else has already started for you

1. Breathe in, Breathe out, You can do this.

2. UNDERSTAND that once someone has setup a forum thread and a game is started, that all the information you need is READY, and that doing this is easy

3. To Play a game that is already started… go to the thread it’s started in. FOR EXAMPLE Click the link to a game of mine below

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27051.0

4. scroll down to the THIRD post, you will see at the bottom a link that reads triplea_27051.0_G1.tsvg Click on that file!

5. Once you’ve clicked on the file, it will ask you to save it to your computer do this,

• Save it anywhere you want, but the DEFAULT folder tripleA loads games from is c:\users\yourname\triplea\savedgames, If you get lost here, just take your time, try saving the file to your desktop if it makes your life easer.

6. Start up TripleA

7. Click LOAD SAVED GAME
    -Find the game you just downloaded, and click open

8. Click Start PBEM (Play-By-Email/Forum) Game

9. Where it says PLAY BY FORUM, there is a box beside Post To Forum: Click the box and select AA.org in the list

10. Type in your username, and your password

11. Click PLAY, and go through your turn

12. at the end of your turn, click POST TURN SUMMARY

IF you have to stop at ANY point in the game, for ANY reason, you can always SAVE IT FOR LATER

Now - how to start a NEW Play By Forum game

Basically, what you do is very similar to what you did before.

1. start triplea

2. choose the game you want to play

3. click play by forum

4. enter the email addresses of every player who will be part of the game (Yes you will have to ask people for their emails)

5. start a thread on the forum, in the Play Boardgames Section and Title it accordingly “you vs whoever”

6. Get the Game ID # Look at the top of the screen and find the URL for the thread, as if you were going to copy paste the link to the thread to your buddy, (For example look at the previous thread link we just used to go the Gargantua PWNS all game)

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=27051.0

Those last few digits,= 27051.0 is the game ID Number

Copy it, or Write it down.

7. Enter that number, in this case 27051.0 into the the game ID, section.

8. in the play by forum box select AxisandAllies.org from the drop down menu

9. Enter in your username and password again.

10. Then click Play. and play the game.

PM me if you have problems, and with which steps if you do.

A VIDEO OF HOW TO DO THIS IS COMING SOON

Zhukov also has instructions, available, and if you get to much spam from the dice server, because you are playing so many games, just go into your email, and direct all emails coming from MARTI the dice server, to go to a seperate folder.

IF you have made it this far, and think you are a tough guy now,

The greatest and fear for the easiest challenge awaits you!

Getting new maps + Games, And upgrading current games - Yikes!*************************************************************************************************

YOU HAVE JUST HEARD FROM ONE OF YOUR FRIENDS THAT SOME JERK UPGRADED THE 1940 GLOBAL MAP!  WTF ARE YOU GOING TO DO?!?!??!

AND Worse!  He Wants to play FORTRESS AMERICA TOO!  And you don’t have the map!  Nooo!

Noo you say?  I think you mean NO PROBLEM.

1. Start TripleA

2. Click DOWNLOAD MAPS

3. Click LIST GAMES

• For some reason this usually takes about 60 seconds for me to load, so be patient

4. Select the game you want from the left

• Lets find INVASION_USA under Quality Maps
    • Or find World War II Global 1940

5. click INSTALL GAME

• What’s AWESOME here, is in the case of maps you already have, if something has been upgraded, just find it in the list, and click install IT WILL UPGRADE OVERTOP OF ITSELF.

6.  Once installation is complete, close tripleA, and restart it.  DONE.

Good Work!

• Garg you are always entertaining in a strange sort of way…thanks for organizing the cool tourny…can’t wait. :-D

Glad I could be of service friend :)

• TripleA '12

Yes, this is an awesomely helpful thread. Please make like a sticky.

• I did call my ex GF… didn’t go the way you said  :mrgreen:
    Save that, it’s alright ! Thanks I’m glad I’ll be playing Axis online at last.

• Customizer

Garg,

I’ve deleted the old files since a new stable is out.

Can you change your link to the following:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/tripleamaps/files/TripleA/stable/

(this link will never be deleted, because it doesn’t point to a specific file, but rather a directory of files)

thx,
    veqryn

• TripleA '12

Hi guys, I don’t know if this is the right place to post this question so apologies if I’ve got that wrong. Also, I have searched the Software/TripleA sections and can’t find an answer to this. Anyway, I expect this is quite an easy question, but here goes:

I want to continue a game of Global 1940 that I’ve been playing face to face with my friend. The game is currently in its 5th turn or so, and I have used the editor in TripleA to recreate the exact set up as it is now. We are both using the most recent version of TripleA.

I select ‘load saved’ game, I load up the appropriate game file, and then click PBEM. I am using Hotmail and therefore input my own Hotmail username and password. I input my both our Hotmail email addresses in the ‘to’ line. Then I click the ‘test email’ button. This successfully sends me an email with an attachment. When I open the attachment, it says “this was a test, it would normally be a real game save file” or something like that.

What am I doing wrong? I don’t want to play by forum, and I don’t understand what the deal is regarding registering with a dice server. Can’t I just use the dice generators in TripleA? Any help would be really appreciated. My friend and I are ready to go but I can’t seem to get the current save game file across to him…

Thank you very much.

• @Lozmoid:

I select ‘load saved’ game, I load up the appropriate game file, and then click PBEM. I am using Hotmail and therefore input my own Hotmail username and password. I input my both our Hotmail email addresses in the ‘to’ line. Then I click the ‘test email’ button. This successfully sends me an email with an attachment. When I open the attachment, it says “this was a test, it would normally be a real game save file” or something like that.

What am I doing wrong? I don’t want to play by forum, and I don’t understand what the deal is regarding registering with a dice server. Can’t I just use the dice generators in TripleA? Any help would be really appreciated. My friend and I are ready to go but I can’t seem to get the current save game file across to him…

Thank you very much.

You did nothing wrong. It just looks like you did not come up to the point where the savegame is sent to your partner. The concept of PBEM (as well as PBF) is that you load a savegame, play the nation’s turn, and at the end of the turn send an email with the new savegame to your opponent.

What you did up to now is enter the mail addresses and initiate a mail for testing purposes.
    This is why you/your friend did not receive the savegame.

So what you have to do is continue playing the upcoming turn. At the end (right after unit placement) you will be given the option to send the turn/new savegame. That’s it.

You can of course use the built in dice. But - as the savegame is created after the turn - you would be able to repeat the battles (just loading the initial/old savegame again and again) until they come to an end that pleases you.
    Registering with a dice server means that each battle is rolled only once. You get the dice results per email - and cheating is not possible.

HTH :-)

• TripleA '12

Ah, that’s really helpful, Panther, thank you again. Normally, when I’m playing alone against the AI I just click save at the beginning of my turn, but I’ve never seen it come up with an option to ‘send the turn/new savegame’. Does this only appear if I’m playing a PBEM game then?

With regards to the dice situation, I understand what you mean now about using the dice servers. However, I think what I would like to do (ideally) is to continue our game in a live sitting; so not necessarily playing turns by email. Therefore we would just bee using the built-in dice, as if we were playing it ‘hotseat’ style on one computer. Is it possible to do this? I expect I would have to click on a play different option - I will explore further…

Thanks again for your help.

• @Lozmoid:

Ah, that’s really helpful, Panther, thank you again. Normally, when I’m playing alone against the AI I just click save at the beginning of my turn, but I’ve never seen it come up with an option to ‘send the turn/new savegame’. Does this only appear if I’m playing a PBEM game then?

Right, when you play by email or play by forum after the unit placement you will find this option on the right side of the program window - I believe it is in the Action tab (I’m not at home at the moment so i cannot check it).

@Lozmoid:

With regards to the dice situation, I understand what you mean now about using the dice servers. However, I think what I would like to do (ideally) is to continue our game in a live sitting; so not necessarily playing turns by email. Therefore we would just bee using the built-in dice, as if we were playing it ‘hotseat’ style on one computer. Is it possible to do this? I expect I would have to click on a play different option - I will explore further…

Thanks again for your help.

You can play live in the so called “lobby”. Or you and your friend can play via Internet with one of you hosting the game.

• TripleA '12

Brilliant, thanks again. I will try this all out when I get home tonight.  :-)

• @P@nther:

@Lozmoid:

Right, when you play by email or play by forum after the unit placement you will find this option on the right side of the program window - I believe it is in the Action tab (I’m not at home at the moment so i cannot check it).

I have checked this now. You will find a button “Post Turn” then. When you hit that button you will be asked if you want to post the turn summary and the savegame to the email adresses you have configured before.

HTH :-)

• TripleA '12

Nice one, cheers for that, Panther.

• Customizer

gamerman, you should make it very clear that these problems only affect Global 1940 2nd Edition, and do not affect any other A&A game or TripleA game.  If any of these things you’ve listed affect other versions, you should make it very clear which A&A games it affects.

you probably also should not post it in a million places (i count at least 4…), because if one or two these items gets fixed, will you be updating each copy? 
    will you remember where each copy is and to update each copy?
    if you don’t update, you are just serving to discourage new players with your out-of-date info.

just post it once in the bug tracker (i think you did already), and post it once in a separate thread just about your list.  you can then keep these 2 copies updated.  any other posts you make should just be links.

lastly, you should also mention which of these can be “player enforced”, and which require a more involved solution or can not be solved at present.
    For example, “all SBR battles should be done before all Amphibious, which should be done before all other battles”, is something that players can easily do by simply picking their battles in the right order.  This is no different from playing using an actual board in real life, or using battlemap or vassal.

• Points taken - sorry for my clumsiness
    I removed the upload and post on this thread and will instead post a link to the new, single, thread for my list.
    The reason I had even posted it here was because P@nther suggested I post it in the software section (in its own thread - I didn’t consider the problem of old versions hanging out there  :oops:)

Everyone - please visit this thread
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=31667.0
    for my ongoing list of issues that you should be aware of.  This is a player aid for alerting you to exactly what rules Triple A does not follow or does not enforce.  You might learn a few rules you weren’t aware of just from reading this list!
    If you have any questions, feel free to contact me any time.

• Customizer

If there’s any thing on here that needs to be updated on this thread it would be helpful to those of us that have never played by forum.

Garg, this is a fantastic thread but there is no link on the “third post” to download other than the test pic. I hand keyed the “27015” and was able to “test” post but was unable to download any game I just kept getting the test post icon on my HP photo browser.

I’m not great with computers, anyone who could help? It’d much appreciated.

• OK, so several months ago I started a web document that contains all the current issues with Triple A - where Triple A does not correctly follow the rule book.

You can review this document any time here - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cS3hFwoBP0rWr3208jw1LAtCvHYa9Ji9uU8PwbCMIwM/edit

• Customizer

Thanks Gamerman, I know there’s glitches. I think I’ve got this figured out though. I’ve been digging through threads trying to figure out how to get up and running with TripleA. Some of the tutorials are a bit old and things change pretty fast in TripleA. I’m going to have to experiment with it though I think maybe I might actually get a game going.

Thanks.

• TripleA

i just stumbled across this thread.

great work garg.

and as always, thank you veqryn for all your work on triplea.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m