French Set…need help to finalize set.

• Customizer

Okay, that’s cool.  Yeah, it might even be a good thing to have certain units in more than one set. I know you are making the Tiger I in your next German set and your are right, that is a VERY iconic tank for Germany. For that matter, the Char B1 is for France as well. Just thought I would bring it up in case you hadn’t considered it.

Go Sanchez,
    I agree with you on that German infantry in the long coat.  That was a very cool looking sculpt and I sure hope we get to see that one in some future set.

• @Tall:

To expand on GoSanchez6’s idea with something I’ve been hoping for in the future, a Supplement Set for All Nations. A series of “Winter, Jungle, Desert, and Special Forces Infantry Sets” might be made. For Example:

A Winter Infantry Set might contain all nations except Anzac.
    A Jungle Infantry Set might contain all nations except Germany.
    A Desert Infantry Set might contain all nations except China.
    A Special Forces Set might contain multiples from every country.

There are so many Special Forces from every country that I believe that this would be a very popular set. Such as the French Foreign Legion w/Kepis, U.S. Army Rangers w/soft caps, Anzac Commandos, etc.

This is something that HBG should consider.

I stand ready to immediately Pre-Pay my reservation for these sets if that might help get them produced.

I have not pre-set my choices and realize that there would be much discussion on particular units to go in the sets. That’s fine with me and I’m certain that I’d be happy with whatever units were decided on as long as we’re able to get the sets made. I know HBG is very busy with their ongoing announced sets, but I was hoping that these sets might be done over and above the supplement sets,…or after the supplement sets are completed. I appologize for putting this in the French Set thread but was following up GoSanchez6’s ideas.

“Tall Paul”

No need to make units like that when all you need to do is invest in 1/72nd size units from Revell or Cesear.  They are perfect for Axis.  Thats why I don’t understand why we are supplementing more INF units when 1/72nd units have been out there for years.

• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

Johnson makes a good point here. I’ve used both of these brands as well as Pegasus and am quite happy. The tricky part is the color of the plastic. You have to paint to match unless you get really lucky.

• im going to have to disagree. i tried using 1/72 pieces on my board and it just doesn’t look right, it does not have an A&A feel to it.the scale and color don’t match with the rest of the A&A pieces either, plus i like how infantry pieces have a round base to it. I mean if your going to use your painted 1/72 toy soldiers than thats cool, but please don’t take away the infantry from future sets that we need from the rest of us who want an infantry pieces with an actual A&A feel to it.

• @Lunarwolf:

im going to have to disagree. i tried using 1/72 pieces on my board and it just doesn’t look right, it does not have an A&A feel to it.the scale and color don’t match with the rest of the A&A pieces either, plus i like how infantry pieces have a round base to it. I mean if your going to use your painted 1/72 toy soldiers than thats cool, but please don’t take away the infantry from future sets that we need from the rest of us who want an infantry pieces with an actual A&A feel to it.

To each his own.  My self I only use them, painted, for my Specialized units.  Such as Paratroopers, SS, Commandos, Marines, Rangers, Russian Guards, Volkstrum and so on.

• Customizer

I thought about using 1/72 scale soldiers for infantry pieces for Axis & Allies.  For one thing, I agree with Lunarwolf because I prefer the round base as well. The other thing that bothered me wasn’t so much the color but the poses. When you get sets with infantry in them from OOB, FMG or HBG, all the infantry are in the same pose so it’s uniform on the game board. If you get a set of 1/72 scale soldiers, there will only be 2 - 4 in each pose. You will have some guys shooting standing up, some shooting crouched, some guys throwing a grenade, some charging with a bayonet, some marching, etc. I don’t like all the guys of the same country in all those different poses. It just doesn’t look right to me.
    Although, I will say that you can get a heck of a lot of variety if you do go that route. I’ve seen WW2 infantry sets from just about every nation involved in the conflict, even the minor nations, not to mention several different types from the major nations (paratroops, regular infantry, desert wear, winter gear, etc.)

• Customizer

I agree with Knp7765.

I don’t care for the 1/72 scale soldiers for the following reasons:

I need my A&A units to have round bases so they can have their national insignias painted on them.

I also want them all to be the correct size.

I also would prefer them to have only one “pose” so as not to be confused with any other type of unit.

I have faith that HBG and FMG will continue to produce full lines of quality new A&A units to enrich all of our gaming needs.

I hope they will produce these Winter, Jungle, Desert, and Special Forces units also. I think they would be popular sets.

“Tall Paul”

While Tall Paul makes excellent points, I will add one issue I’ve had to his list. The round infantry base fitting inside the stacking chips (for those of us that must use them) is key to keeping the infantry from falling off at the slightest breeze.

• Gents, I  personally use AirAFix, HO scale  and Hasegawa and Italeri and Escai 1/72nd troops.  If you have a problem with them falling over, just glue them to colored mini poker chips it works well.  I own about every type of WWII troop you can imagine.  From, Paras, SS, Marines, Red Guards, German and Italian Apline, French Foreign Legion, USSR Partisans, Rangers, Regular Army, Afrika Korps, 8th Army, Chinese, ANZAC, Commandos and US Airborne and so on.  Many are hand painted in authentic WWII uniform colors for their respective nations.  So more AA figures are great, but for me they are not required.
    Coach,  French Foreign Legion in their Kepis are totally cool with a sub-machine gun.  Suggestion, maybe you will look at producing them for your French set.

WARRIOR888

• In particular, the French battleships and bombers that come with Europe 1940 are too obviously Russian.

If you were going to play with Vichy French/Free French, I would just use German units (Japanese in the Pacific, if there are any) for Vichy French units. I would use the remaining French units as Free French, but they are under Britain’s control until France is liberated. Similarly, with Italy, once Rome fell to the Allies, you could replace the units that remained pro-fascist with German units (Japanese in the Pacific, if there are any) and switch the remaining Italian units to the Allies.

• I plan to use Pro-Axis units (Grey Germans from previous releases) for Vichy.

• Sponsor '17 '13 '11 '10

@Dispatch:

I plan to use Pro-Axis units (Grey Germans from previous releases) for Vichy.

Those will work just great!

• And they were only 5 cents a piece on your website!  :-D

• Any plans for an SPG?

The Somua SAu 40 would suffice, thought it may look a bit identical to the SAU 35.

• Here’s my 2 cents on Vichy France Color: it should be a Darker Blue than the OOB color. Germany Black, Italy Brown, It shows France “coming to the darkside”

• Customizer

Hmm,

A Darker Blue color to represent “Free French” troops set on revenge. An interesting idea.

“Tall Paul”

• @Yavid:

Here’s my 2 cents on Vichy France Color: it should be a Darker Blue than the OOB color. Germany Black, Italy Brown, It shows France “coming to the darkside”

That’s one of the reasons why I use as Vichy pieces the dark blue standard infantry sculpts from The War Game: World War II (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/268592/the-war-game-world-war-ii?size=large).  The additional attraction is that the German-style uniform design establishes an extra connection between Vichy France and Germany.

• I prefer light blue for Vichy and OOB for pre- defeat French.

Dark Blue for Free French

For those that do… why do you distinguish between Free French and “pre-defeat” French? Couldn’t you use the same color for both of these?

• i agree why would you need a new color for free french when you should just keep them the default french color, or at least use the default color for one of them. my group we dont even need to have any difference in color since Vichy doesn’t move we just use the Vichy token on territories to represent Vichy units

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m