• How would you act as the Military Leader of the combine armed forces of Japan in 1942?

• In summer 192, Japaneses should have begun to remove the red point on their flag to make it white flags!

• @crusaderiv:

In summer 192, Japaneses should have begun to remove the red point on their flag to make it white flags!

true, Japan had no ability to win that war.

• I voted to remove troops from china and defend the solomon islands, to maximize the defenses and therefore the time before defeat.  But really it wouldn’t have mattered in the long run.

• '10

Apologise to the U.S. and tell them that Pearl Harbor was the unfortunate act of a few renegade admirals. Tell them SO sorry and those responsible will be punished.

• '12

Japan could have sent 8 carriers to Midway, instead the sent two north and two south to divert US attention.  I think using a better code for communication would have been enough to change things, well delay things anyways!

• Japan could have sent 8 carriers to Midway, instead the sent two north and two south to divert US attention.  I think using a better code for communication would have been enough to change things, well delay things anyways

You got a point…japanese communication code was poor.
    But as I said in another topic, the big problem with japan was their high commanders.Especially in the Japanese army.
    They would have needed a guy as Rommel.
    Japense soldiers were good but officers were bad.

• @ABWorsham:

If you had been supreme leader of Japan, with control of both Army and Navy units

If there had been (as far back as the mid-1930s) a supreme Japanese leader who truly controlled both the Army and the Navy, Japan might have either avoided getting into a war in the first place, or might have conducted it more effectively (for example, by leaving both China and the United States alone and concentrating exclusively on the British and the Dutch).  As it was, power in Japan was divided four ways between the Army, the Navy, the government, and the Emperor, all of whom had their own ideas about what Japan’s strategy and policies should be.

@ABWorsham:

what would your actions have been after the Battle of the Coral Sea?

None of the above.  I would have scrapped the diversionary attack against the Aleutians (which only succeeded in bombing Dutch Harbor and capturing two useless islands) and I would have reassigned its ships (which included two light carriers) to the Midway attack force, thus giving the Japanese six carriers at Midway rather than four.

• If there had been (as far back as the mid-1930s) a supreme Japanese leader who truly controlled both the Army and the Navy, Japan might have either avoided getting into a war in the first place, or might have conducted it more effectively (for example, by leaving both China and the United States alone and concentrating exclusively on the British and the Dutch).  As it was, power in Japan was divided four ways between the Army, the Navy, the government, and the Emperor, all of whom had their own ideas about what Japan’s strategy and policies should be.

That’s exactly why I tought…
    That’s the reason why Japanese did not declare the war to the Russian. After the battle of Khalin Gol, army lost credits in the goverment eyes.
    The IJN  high command took advantage of it and their plan of expansion was approved.

If the army and Japanese navy had worked together on the same objectives. Japan would have known more success in China and/ or even in India.
    But Marc you forgot one thing.
    If Japan had attacked only UK colonies and dutch, American would then have declared war to Japan even if Pearl harbor had not taken place.

• @crusaderiv:

But Marc you forgot one thing.
    If Japan had attacked only UK colonies and dutch, American would then have declared war to Japan even if Pearl harbor had not taken place.

Maybe, maybe not.  At the very least, U.S. entry into WWII would have been delayed by a few crucial months; it might even have been prevented altogether.  The isolationist movement in the U.S. was very powerful prior to Pearl Harbor, so a Japanese invasion of, say, just the Dutch East Indies might have been met by a “too bad for the Dutch” non-reaction by the U.S.  The Americans likewise didn’t much like British imperialism, so convincing the American public to go to war with Japan to defend British colonies like Singapore would have been a hard sell.  The U.S. did have strategic interests in the Philippines, which would have been placed in an awkward position if Japan had captured the DEI, but the U.S. Navy’s RAINBOW plans at that time (which had replaced earlier plans like War Plan Orange) basically acknowledged that the Philippines were undefendable anyway and would not be a strategic priority if war were to break out in the Pacific.

• '12

If Japan had a central command who could set one long term strategy AND used public opinion of the US to their benefit rather than their disaster.  Had the Japs used a less brutal public image of their war in China then the US would never have cut of the oil.  Remember, at that point in time the US had the majority of the worlds oil production, was an oil export powerhouse…where did that US ever go?  In any event, had the Japanese employed lobbyists and a PR campaign their oil would not have been cut off.  They could have attacked the Dutch East Indies and played for time, they might NEVER have had to fight the US.  The US didn’t declare war on Germany while it was pounding the piss out of London, so why would they attack Japan for attacking colonies of the Dutch or English?

If you doubt the US would sit buy idle and help a potential foe to arm and strengthen itself, look at todays example of China.

• I would have scrapped the diversionary attack against the Aleutians (which only succeeded in bombing Dutch Harbor and capturing two useless islands) and I would have reassigned its ships (which included two light carriers) to the Midway attack force, thus giving the Japanese six carriers at Midway rather than four.

The diversionary attack in the Aleutions hurt the Midway attack, however an Aleution Islands invasion was a very wise move. With a few thousand troops Japan forced the U.S to commit 150,000 men to a harsh, worthless objective. Those U.S troops and material could have been used in North Africa and the Solomons.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Send all ground and air forces at the USSR.

Only a defeat of the Soviet Union, would give the germans the break they need, to save Japan, via an armistice.

Without the current invention of the A-Bomb, Japan could count on it’s populace to defend against American invaders.

• '10

@Gargantua:

Send all ground and air forces at the USSR.

Only a defeat of the Soviet Union, would give the germans the break they need, to save Japan, via an armistice.

Without the current invention of the A-Bomb, Japan could count on it’s populace to defend against American invaders.

Hey Gar, you must really be anti Japanese! You want to send them from the frying pan into the fire.

• I’m surprised attacking the U.S.S.R is tied for first. That option is a good way to bring the war to a quick end, giving the Soviets full control of Asia.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

All the options presented were weak, so I went with what I felt was the most prudent.

Face it, all the decent Russian equipment was “Busy” on the eastern front.

Might aswell try your luck,  And capitilze on this gain - helping your ally,  A deep Strike at Persia would have been the same. The rest of you are already saying the war was lost :P

Go for a gamble,  the Americans are going to use the same, slow, methodical approach, wether you fight them or not.  Bring your stuff back home, let them come to you, and hit em hard eddie, on your own turf later.

That or conscript Japanese women into their own military,  $50 says they would have killed alot of reds and yanks.

• Yea the Japanese should send all those troops on bicycles riding in Mountains and tundra in freezing cold to capture Christmas trees to send back to Hitler. Once they got inside of 3 miles of this pleasant terrain and completely run out of supplies, they can rest assured that the downfall of the Soviet is assured and opening this can of whoop a** was a magnificent idea as it completely refilled the Japanese Imperial Navies fuel tanks with all the OIL they didn’t get.

With any sence they should have attacked UK, USSR, and USA all on the same day, while taking another 10 years to polish off China which is more powerful than any force on earth.

Then they woke up…

• I agree with gargantua.

Yea the Japanese should send all those troops on bicycles riding in Mountains and tundra in freezing cold to capture Christmas trees to send back to Hitler. Once they got inside of 3 miles of this pleasant terrain and completely run out of supplies, they can rest assured that the downfall of the Soviet is assured and opening this can of whoop a** was a magnificent idea as it completely refilled the Japanese Imperial Navies fuel tanks with all the OIL they didn’t get.

Yes there was nothing good to get from Siberia but IJN was more powerful than USSR pacific fleet so IJN  would have sink the USSR fleet easily.
    Cut the trans-siberian line, Landing in Vladivostok and force Staline to negociate. (somethnig like…let me see…oh yea… oil !!!).
    You know like me that Staline didn’t want to fight on both front so…

With any sence they should have attacked UK, USSR, and USA all on the same day, while taking another 10 years to polish off China which is more powerful than any force on earth.
    No one mentionned that Japs attack UK, USA,USSR and China on the same day.
    Between those 3 power, USSR is the less powerful in Asia.
    Attack USSR would have been a bright gamble. summer 1941 or after
    Attack UK colonies in late 1941, or beginning 1942. (attack ceylon base not pearl harbor)
    Attack USA was a suicide.
    Then if you want to wage war, you take the most less bad option.

Marc and Crunch.
    I agree with your argument. I know It’s all theory.
    Personnaly I don’t believe that US government would have remained crossed arms while the Japanese would have conquered the South pacific as well as UK colonies.
    If India and ceylon would have fallen under the control of Japan. The Japanese would then have threatened the south side of China and the middle east.
    USA would have had no other choices that to declare the war and this before the beginning of the spring 1942.

Pearl to harbor was an error.
    Midway was a disaster.
    It was thus already too late for Japan to attack UK indian ocean fleet and knock down the fate.

• Cut the trans-Siberian line, Landing in Vladivostok and force Stalin to negotiate.

Yea but cutting it at the 3 mile mark from the Pacific Ocean would make Zhukov laugh for about 20 seconds. Then the tactics of modern warfare would kick in and the Kwangtung Army would be cut off and routed again and Manchukuo lost.

Compared to the Soviets on Land, Japan was totally inferior.

Just look at 10 years they have dealing with backward China. If they faced a modern army with modern logistics and modern tactics they just crumble into “final battle for the emperor” or suicide tactics.

Same story all throughout the war.

• '10

I would continue with the original MIDWAY Operation.

You have to remember that you would not have any knowledge that the Americans were reading your mail…  It was a brilliantly planned operation and almost succeeded despite this.

The United States Navy not only was reading Japanese Naval code before the battle, but was extremely LUCKY in finding the carriers before their own were discovered and destroyed by superior forces.

All Historians agree that the cards were stacked against the USA in this Battle, and it was a series of unfortunate events that lead to a Japanese Defeat.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m