• Sponsor '17 TripleA '11 '10

That’s what I figured (hoped). Best $50 to spend right now.

• Any pics of the map yet ?

Not really. But the site is back up so hopefully we will get some more info soon. I recommend that everyone who is interested go to their site and post on the bulletin board what they want to see / know about the game.

• Hmm… while I do appreciate their aesthetic goals, I think I’d prefer pieces that were a little more realistic and which didn’t do the whole using one sculpt for all the powers thing… Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure I’ll buy a copy when it’s available, but I still think a more AA-intercompatible style would have been fine, and I just have a hard time with games where my Germans look like Brits, etc.  And with all of those cool-looking dreadnoughts available, to have one that looks so stylized… and it looks like it has single-barrel turrets, too!  I can’t even tell what it’s supposed to be, and I know my dreadnoughts…

So, on one level I appreciate what they’re trying to do, but I can’t help but think it’s another missed opportunity to create a game that fits better with what the market really wants, which is a more AA-like game.

• The purpose of this game is not to provide historical roundels mantra or perfectly consistent and nationally dedicated WW1 pieces by nation. The pieces are universal and iconic to “look” basically like an average WW1 'ish looking unit. I suspect the game is very much like AA, not historical and sweeping generalizations and practical setup based on balance. Its not attempting to be anything more than fun game and thats just fine.

Milton Bradley AA did not have Historical pieces.

• @Imperious:

The purpose of this game is not to provide historical roundels mantra or perfectly consistent and nationally dedicated WW1 pieces by nation. The pieces are universal and iconic to “look” basically like an average WW1 'ish looking unit. I suspect the game is very much like AA, not historical and sweeping generalizations and practical setup based on balance. Its not attempting to be anything more than fun game and thats just fine.

Milton Bradley AA did not have Historical pieces.

True, but this is why I prefer the AH pieces.  Yes, I know this is a matter of taste and that compatibility with secondary-market pieces was the last thing on their mind… I’m just voicing my own preferences for the record, and I suspect that many on this forum have similar feelings.  I had the same reaction when I discovered that TWG did all German sculpts… having my Brits goose-stepping was just a bridge too far for me…

I’d kind of like to see an FMG or HBG take on this same concept with pieces more like what they’d do: more compatible and “modular” to use in all sorts of alternate variants and I fear that this might hurt that possibility becoming a reality.  I fully realize that this isn’t a goal of this company, and I do intend to pick up a copy if it actually becomes a reality.  Maybe if this company succeeds it will increase the chances of my ideal “Great War” game becoming a reality too, as it might prove that there’s a market for WWI and provide a board and pieces to use as a starting point…and I hope my fears are unfounded.

• @DrLarsen:

Hmm… while I do appreciate their aesthetic goals, I think I’d prefer pieces that were a little more realistic and which didn’t do the whole using one sculpt for all the powers thing… Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure I’ll buy a copy when it’s available, but I still think a more AA-intercompatible style would have been fine, and I just have a hard time with games where my Germans look like Brits, etc.  And with all of those cool-looking dreadnoughts available, to have one that looks so stylized… and it looks like it has single-barrel turrets, too!  I can’t even tell what it’s supposed to be, and I know my dreadnoughts…

So, on one level I appreciate what they’re trying to do, but I can’t help but think it’s another missed opportunity to create a game that fits better with what the market really wants, which is a more AA-like game.

I have to agree.  In the early days, when the original 1999 A&A Europe and 2001 A&A Pacific were the only available games which provided a “sculpt upgrade” from the old Milton-Bradley plastic A&A pieces, I had to scrounge around to find pieces from other games which could supplement the small number of colours and unit types which came with those three A&A games.  The limited array which came with the A&A games, and the limited number of alternatives on the market, meant that I had to accept buying games whose sculpts had great variability in their quality.  The original Table Tactics sculpts came perhaps the closest to the genuine A&A sculpts in terms of size, colour compatibility, level of detail and general visual style.  Then, working downwards through the Xeno Games A&A clone pieces and miscellaneous other sculpts I got from games here and there, I extended my purchases (of necessity) to pieces with whose design I was not happy at all, such as the ones in the Attack! and Attack! Expansion games.  Mixed in with that, over the years, was the appearance of some games with pieces that fit my requirements perfectly in some respects but not in others (for instance The War Game: World War II, whose detailed hard-plastic naval pieces were very close in size to the A&A ones but whose land and air units tended to be too big).

Over time, as more and more new A&A games were published, the unit type and colour and nationality gaps that I had been plugging with miscellaneous other pieces from other games started getting filled by official A&A sculpts (for instance the cruiser piece that first showed up in Guadalcanal). The more this went on, the more choosy I became about what other games I bought.  For instance I didn’t buy the last couple of expansions of Tide of Iron because the size incompatibility with A&A because something that I could live without.  I didn’t buy Field Command: Singapore 1942 because I didn’t like the design of the sculpts and because the range of piece colours (three) was too small for me.  By the time both parts of A&A Global were out – adding the French infantry, reinforcing the Italian and Chinese units introduced in Anniversary, and tossing in the ANZAC colour variation of the British pieces – I had virtually ceased buying anything which would not work seamlessly with the official A&A sculpts.  The projected sets of FMG sculpts will meet that compatibility requirement, and I’m certainly planning on getting all of them, but the pieces from The Conflict don’t fit my current purchasing profile.  They would have done so once upon a time, but not anymore; they’re too stylized for my taste.  Don’t get me wrong: I think it’s great that a major A&A-style game set in WWI has been published, and the pieces do seem to be of very high quality.  They’re just not type of piece, design-wise, which interests me at the moment.

• That is precisely what I was thinking, though I believe I’ll buy at least one copy to show my support for the hobby and to get ideas and some components to at least experiment with… but I’d have probably bought more if they had more compatible sculpts (or, even better, if they offered the piece sets separately as well, I might have bought dozens, like I did for the TT pieces when I first discovered them many years ago…)

I do appreciate their desire to create a self-contained game with a unique aesthetic, but my preference would be otherwise.  Even within those parameters, I still think that having at least infantry and cavalry sculpts unique to each power should be a minimum (Remember that even the original MB version had unique infantry sculpts…)  So, even going with a unique and interesting sort of Art-Deco aesthetic, I see it as a missed opportunity to at least have some key unique sculpts… Imagine the aesthetic appeal of putting their current Tommy’s alongside a more menacingly Gothic-looking German and, say, a Romantically heroic French “poilu.”  Heck, they wouldn’t even need to have totally unique sculpts for everyone, as there were only 3 main varieties of steel helmet and uniform styles tended to evolve toward a similarity between allies as the war dragged on.  Just as the more recent AH games have, they could have some nations have the same sculpts in different colors, but still have more variety as a compromise.  I’d say that a minimum would be 3 sets of sculpts in the infantry/ cavalry dept.:

1. British “tommy” in Brodie helmet (could double as American in green, and perhaps also Canadian, Indian and/or ANZAC if they are separated out.)

2. French “poilu” in Adrian helmet (could double for Russians and Italians, as both used the same helmet, an long coats and rifles.)

3. Finally, the German in Stahlhelm could double for their Central Powers allies, as both adopted the Stahlhelm to some extent at least (though, a separate Ottoman sculpt would be better yet, as they didn’t adopt the German gear and as extensively… that would be my 4th priority, with a unique Russian sculpt as my 5th priority.)

Maybe, since they’re still 6 months away, it wouldn’t be too late: my “compromise” option would only require 4 new sculpts, an infantry and a cavalry for Germany and France, since they’ve already gone with a British look from what I can tell on the rather small pics.

• just use HAT 1/72 for infantry.

• Imperious I would like to see your war game closet. Is it a closet or a storage facility? Are you a CEO of a major company that you can afford to buy 6 copies of all of these games? Just funnin with you man.

• Will this game have units for Zepplins, bi-planes, trenches, Gotha bombers?

I’d be disappointed if there were no Zepplins!

• It will have the just the listed pieces. If it had Zeppelins i would have posted a picture of them. Im trying to get a decent map picture.

• '10

New Picture.  Board is still in the works and final version is not shown.

boardsetup.jpg

• Is the board just Europe or the entire world?

Looks to be Europe plus Turkey. Maybe North Africa? Probably ala Castle Risk style.

• Looks like it has the 7 Diplomacy powers and no one else(no US, Japan, etc.)

• '10

@calvinhobbesliker:

Looks like it has the 7 Diplomacy powers and no one else(no US, Japan, etc.)

My understanding is that the United States is represented by French reinforcements on a certain turn.

If that’s the case, I think I kinda like that idea. It keeps it KISS by not having to involve another power 3/4 of the way through the game.

• I hope, as it is said here before, that the map is only a prototype, becz at it looks now it really looks amateurish.

That could destroy any interest I have in this game.

I’m looking forward to The Conflict and will buy it, but not if the map looks like the one in the only photos we have now.

Further, I am disappointed that the US will not have it’s own units in the game.

Being represented by French units?

How historical is this game, when one of the great Powers is not even represented by it’s own units?

Disappointed by that miss too.

• The map is terrible admittedly, but give them a chance. Lets hope the game plays well enough. Somebody can easily repaint some French units Olive and make a new map right?

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m