• I voted other.

My favorite line was:

“Nuts!”

• '12

@Raunchy:

I voted other.

My favorite line was:

“Nuts!”

That’s not quite what he said, lol.  1940’s censorship and all.

• @ABWorsham:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@ABWorsham:

I chose the West Wall because the stories both my grandfathers had to say about encounting it.

One was fired upon by 88’s delivering food to his men.

The other had to knock out bunkers with grenades.

Did they mostly go through the wall or bypass it(via Holland/Belgium)?

One got stalled on the Westwall as part of the 2nd Inf, then got into the thick of the Bulge blacking the Germans at Elsenborn.

My other grandfather wasn’t very open about his service. He did tell a story of his unit attacking bunkers from the rear with grenades near the border of Germany.

I meant the allied troops in general

• hey AB what Line do you mean by Gothic?..maybe I just know it under a diffrent name…

They must have been refreshed or relocated to use their 88’s on Foodcarriers, normally the Russians used such methods to sink the moral of the Germans (especially in Winter times)…@ABWorsham:

I chose the West Wall because the stories both my grandfathers had to say about encounting it.

One was fired upon by 88’s delivering food to his men.

The other had to knock out bunkers with grenades.

• @aequitas:

hey AB what Line do you mean by Gothic?..maybe I just know it under a diffrent name…

After the Gustav line in Italy, they faced the Gothic Line.

• @calvinhobbesliker:

@aequitas:

hey AB what Line do you mean by Gothic?..maybe I just know it under a diffrent name…

the “Green-line” or Gneisenau-line…I heard of the Gothic-line but the Gneisenau-line was more inprinted in my memories…Thanks Calvinhobbesliker

• @aequitas:

@calvinhobbesliker:

@aequitas:

the “Green-line” or Gneisenau-line…I heard of the Gothic-line but the Gneisenau-line was more inprinted in my memories…Thanks Calvinhobbesliker

Sorry, it was the last major line. I just saw there were multiple lines in italy.

• Maginot Line.

• The Abucay Line is missing from this poll.

• The kursk line, it was the line that broke the german army and effectivly ended any chance the germans had at winning the war. It (probably) inflicted more damage to the german army than the entire african campaign, probbably more than the entire liberation of france

• Two of my favourites are the Maginot Line and the Atlantic Wall.  The ironic thing is that both of them failed spectacularly in their intended mission of preventing a large enemy force from invading France.  The Rhine River could be added to the list, especially in connection with two famous bridges over the Rhine: the one at Arnhem (which the Allied ground forces failed to reach during Operation Market-Garden) and the one at Remagen (which the Allies were able to seize and cross – much to their surprise, since the Germans had blown every other bridge over the Rhine).

• Gustav. Has to be Italy.
    I have been to Monte Cassino and have read much about the defensive battles(even as a child). Love Heidrich’s 1st Para.

• '17

My grandfather fought in the Philippines, but I still have to give it to Kursk.

• I gotta say the Panther-Wotan line, since I´m fascinated by the eastern front.

• My grandfather’s U.S 2nd Inf went up againist two German fortifications, the Atlantic Port garrison of Brest and the Westwall. During both operations he was under his worst bombardments. A mortar attack at Brest and an 88 along the Westwall. His job in the Army was to cook, then haul the food to front line units. He told me along the Westwall the last thing you wanted to do was carry food to a unit on the frontline while both sides are dug in, you stick out like you have a target painted on you.

• @ABWorsham:

My grandfather’s U.S 2nd Inf went up againist two German fortifications, the Atlantic Port garrison of Brest and the Westwall. During both operations he was under his worst bombardments.

Brest was tough objective to take.  Like Cherbourg it was a major port, and as such it was heavily defended by the Germans, who wanted to keep Atlantic ports out of Allied hands for as long as possible, thus restricting their ability to bring in the massive supplies they needed (much of which had to come in through the Normandy beachhead for quite a long time).  Brest also got heavily bombed prior to the D-Day invasion, owing in part to the large U-boat pens which were located there (and which are still used today by the French Navy).  By the time the Allies had liberated Brest (I believe in September 1944), a large percentage of the town had been smashed to rubble.  I visited Brest a few years ago, and I brought back as a souvenir a book of before-and-after photographs showing various places in old Brest and their current appearance today.  Brest had to be rebuilt very quickly, so much use was made of concrete and little attention was paid to historic preservation or architectural elegance.  The town nowadays looks rather bland as a result.

• From my readings on the subject the old Vauban fort proved to be the most difficult of the German held positions to capture during the Siege. My grandfather’s 2nd Inf was so chewed up from the fighting from St. Lo and Brest that they were sent to the area around St. Vith and got hit hard during the opening days of the Bulge.

• The defensive lines in front of moscow built in 1941 is missing. According to some (and me), the battle for moscow 1941 was perhaps the most important battle of WW2.

The lines in front of leningrad was also very important.

• Do these Leningrad and Moscow lines have names? I will soon address Leningrad, I’m working on a WWII fortress poll. If you can find any names, I will add them to the poll.

• the moscow line was a combination of 3 lines, It think they where called
    1.  Rzhev-Vyazma defense setup
    2. Mozhaisk defense line
    3.  Moscow Defense Zone

Combined the formed the 3 defencive lines around moscow.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m