• I have a couple of house rules that I use in A&A Pacific.

1. This one really applies to all of the A&A Games, but i’ll list it here anyway. I Let the defender surrender his Territory as long as there is another friendly territory ajacent to his. he also must pay 5 IPCs, and he has to lose a unit of his choice. If there is no friendly territory ajacent to him, he can’t surrender. This dosn’t apply to sea units.

2. I admit i don’t use this often, but it does give the game an added twist. I give all of the sea units 2 lives. if a sea unit survives the battle w/only one hit, he is turned on his side. he then must make it back to a sea port that he owns, or his capital, for repairs. Once he is there, he must stay there until the next turn. He is then uprighted. I usually give the battleship 3 lives. If he is hit in battle once, nothing happens. if he is hit twice, then he is turned over.

These are just a couple of rules that i enjoy playing with. let me know what you think about them, as well as any problems you could see or areas for improvement.

Thanks!! :-D

• number ones not that good you lose a man a TT and 5 ipcs not worth it to me.
    number twos prety good though.

• The piont of number 1 is to add strength to an ajacent country, so that on the next turn, you can strike back and potentially knock the enemy out of the teritory.

I appreciate your feedback!!!    :-)

• one thing for battle ships how do you show only one hit since they have 3 in your rule #2

• cdog44 are you going to anwser me? i want to know!

from i rock
    p.s. please tell me!!!

• Sorry, i rock, I’ve been busy lately. You would place the battleships in a line from left to right in there places on the battle board. Then, for every hit your battleships ( probably won’t have more than 2 BBs in a single battle) take, you place a gray chip to the right of the battle board. The chip on the left would represent a hit for the corresponding BB on the left, the one to the right would do the same thing.

• '14

@cdog44:

Sorry, i rock, I’ve been busy lately. You would place the battleships in a line from left to right in there places on the battle board. Then, for every hit your battleships ( probably won’t have more than 2 BBs in a single battle) take, you place a gray chip to the right of the battle board. The chip on the left would represent a hit for the corresponding BB on the left, the one to the right would do the same thing.

I got black chips to represent hits for my naval units. Also Historicalboardgaming.com is making roundel size markers to show hits also, comming soon!!

• I use 1/8" 6 sided dice. Put next to ship. Comes in like 6 colors.

• My retreat house rule allows the defender to retreat to an adjacent territory after the inital attack but without returning fire. This represents the attacker sweeping into the TT and the defender regrouping and retreating to avoid further casualties from a protracted battle. It encouraged larger holding forces than the traditional “picket line” of infantry along the front lines and required tactical decisions. I have not tried it withmy new group (moved) but I am going to suggest it next game.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

If the naval unit has “two lives” I would make the suggestion to amend it as thus:

1)  Any non-Battleship units damaged may no longer attack or defend. (Attack Value = 0, Defend Value = 0.  It may absorb hits and die, but cannot return fire no matter what.  Crews are busy keeping the ship afloat, no one is available to fire the guns.)

2)  Battleships may return fire at a 2 or less, they may not attack. (Attack Value = 0, Defen Value = 2)

3)  Damaged warships only move 1 space. (They cannot move at top speed, due to their battle damage.)

4)  Ships are repair for free.
    4a) The damaged ship must end its turn adjacent to one of their nations own Industrial Complexes (Naval Bases for E40, P40 and G40)
    4b) Damaged ships are considered to be repair between Purchase New Units and Combat Moves phases (so they are back to full strength before moving them into combat.)

• I dont really like the no return fire rule but I like the others

Glad to help.  As Dr. Suess said: “When eating puffballs it is important to eat the ball and spit out the puff.”  (or similar.  Administration was ticked, but he got his speaking money and the advice was good.  Forget where the speach was given…but I digress.)

Take what you want, leave what you dont.  Maybe no return fire on defense is too harsh, perhaps 50% defense fire, or maybe they can defend as normal, but cannot attack?

• The defend but cannot attack would make the most sense to me… thanks for your ideas Jennifer  :-)

Null perspiration, chummer.

• @Sun_Tzu:

I dont really like the no return fire rule but I like the others

By allowing the defender to shoot back and then retreat there is no downside to retreating so no tactical decision necessary. This also reduces decions making for the attacker, they either sweep in for a one round wipe out or they don’t attack.

I can potentially see allowing the casualties to shoot back and the survivors running without shooting, but I see the same limitations as above

Not what I had meant, originally.  I was meaning that after the battle, and surviving ships that are damaged cannot attack or defend until they were repaired.  I amended to allow for defense but not offense.

• I was referring to sun tzu’s comments and land battles, sorry for any confusion

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m