• Yesterday Larry told me that Europe 40 only come with Italian infantry. The rest of the pieces will be borrowed from others. This might be a joke, but it might also be true. The Italian tank did not make it to the refreshment molds, so they will borrow the jap tank. Most of the Italian units will look like the japs, only in brown color, actualy.

I figure it is kind of weird that WOTC, who make strategy games, do so piss poor planning. They spend lots of money to make new refresh molds of pieces that was good enough, and they spend lots of money to make new molds of russian navy that will never make it to the map. And now they are short of cash, and cant afford to make nation specific Italian pieces, or do something with the Allied artillery piece wich is shared by 6 nations and the most common piece on the map.

I think WOTC need a new crew. People that actually play A&A.

• wow complete and utter fail. I think we need more russian battleships. I tend to run more battleships than infantry for russia when i play. they don’t include enough in my own humble opinon

• Official Q&A

Here is what Larry said on his site:

Due to technical and cost reasons … there will NOT be a dedicated Italian tank in the AAE40 game after all. To be clear, there will be a dedicated Italian infantry units, but the rest will be borrowed and implemented by using units from other powers. . I point this out now so that some of you will not be too disappointed when the game comes out. This is not to suggest that instead of growing the Italian presence in the game it is diminishing. On the contrary, at some point I can see there being an entire collection of Italian units (land, sea an air). Bear with us as we make every practical attempt to get this and other games to that point. There’s a lot more that goes into the selection of the game elements than meet the eye. Frankly, at times, certain units become simply cost prohibitive from a production point of view.

• @Razor:

Yesterday Larry told me that Europe 40 only come with Italian infantry. The rest of the pieces will be borrowed from others. This might be a joke, but it might also be true. The Italian tank did not make it to the refreshment molds, so they will borrow the jap tank. Most of the Italian units will look like the japs, only in brown color, actualy.

I figure it is kind of weird that WOTC, who make strategy games, do so piss poor planning. They spend lots of money to make new refresh molds of pieces that was good enough, and they spend lots of money to make new molds of russian navy that will never make it to the map. And now they are short of cash, and cant afford to make nation specific Italian pieces, or do something with the Allied artillery piece wich is shared by 6 nations and the most common piece on the map.

I’m IN…I’m good w.running numbers and a machinist as well, I can repair the dies he needs…and hey I love playing AA and especially AAE…

• Customizer

Wow… this is discouraging.  Eh… glad I have all these Italian tanks.  Wait… I’m suspicious… this smells of conspiracy… Perhaps they’re not producing unique molds because they know that FMG IS MAKING COOLER ONES AHA!  All right Field Marshals - fess up, you’ve been caught out!
    :-D

• Ugh…  Round 1 Russian battleship build in the Black Sea, doodz!  This is going to be SO awesome!!!

• I guess ill just have to canabalize my Italian tanks from my copy of anniversery
    and canibalize my american fighters so i dont have to use the scummy p38

• that makes me wanna dig out my airfix mens…If the map would be a lil bit bigger I could bring in my TAMYA 1:35 modells…@oztea:

I guess ill just have to canabalize my Italian tanks from my copy of anniversery
    and canibalize my american fighters so i dont have to use the scummy p38

:-D

• Why is the P38 so unpopular?

• All we need is FMG pieces, and our own map. What do we get from WOTC?

• @Brain:

All we need is FMG pieces, and our own map. What do we get from WOTC?

Girls ?

• None of those came with my games.

• That officially sux bawls.

For real.

Officially.

It’s an early sign–and no doubt not the last–that instead of getting the polished chrome we hoped would be Eur 40, we will have another game like Pac 40… riddled with production flaws, poor quality control, and more backsliding in terms of value-for-money.

• I can understand you guys are upset about this but I am willing to bet that probably 95% or better of you guys that post on this website have multiple Axis and Allies games like myself.  That being said you can just combine all your pieces into one stockpile and move them from board to board when you play.  Since Pac 40 came with no money I used the money from the Revised and old Europe board to solve the problem.  Same with using some of the Revised and Anniversary pieces to bolster the Japanese in Pac 40.  Yeah it sucks they are making pieces more uniform and their are flaws that come with a game, things get lost sometimes in the chain of communication between designers and producers.  Oh and Italy was already headed down this route with every piece practically being another axis powers unit, except the infantry in the Anniversary edition so this isn’t new news.

• No dude…I missed that sweet gravy train that was A&A 50th anniversary. This was the only way to get some Italian peices

• @Razor:

I figure it is kind of weird that WOTC, who make strategy games, do so piss poor planning.

You have to remember most of the folks at WotC are Magic and D&D experts. Avalon Hill and Axis and Allies was forced on Wizards by their parent company Hasbro as a cost-cutting effort to reduce staff/facilities. The results of this unpopular move speak for themselves.

@Razor:

I’m sure there are a few, but the other brands have priority on their time. Again the proof is in the pudding.

• @idk_iam_swiss:

Why is the P38 so unpopular?

Because it’s not a typical naval aircraft nor did it excel at dogfighting (especially in the European theatre).  It was much better suited to long-range interception, tactical bombing, and reconnaissance, was never used as a carrier plane, and probably only successful in the pacific because as it had no convergance zone (all guns in the nose, not wings), it could quickly dispatch the lightly armored japanese planes at a distance before it had to get into a turning fight (where it was not as capable as the typical single engine monoplane and most especially, the japanese dogfighters).

The hellcat in AA50 was a much more appropriate carrier plane and dogfighter, but to the layperson it might look like the avenger, so the iconic yet completely inappropriate P38 stands in.

• P38 looks like crap. Its nothing in terms of the primary American fighter. The thing looks like two planes stuck together. Using that silly looking thing to convey the primary American front line fighter is like replacing the German fighter with this:

Both of these planes flew but nobody wants that junk to represent the fighters for these nations because its not in anybody’s thinking to say “yes when i think of a classic American ww2 fighter i think of that p-38”

Rather humans think of the Mustang or Hellcat, or Dauntless or like 25 others before the P-38.

Thankfully they changed the Stuka to a Me-109 which also makes sence. Stuka can now be the tactical bomber for AAE40

• I think the reason they used the P-38 model was because it was the only fighter to be produced in large numbers from Pearl Harbor to VJ day.  Mustangs didn’t appear until towards the end of the war.  Also, the top two aces of WWII flew  P-38’s.

• I still would have rather seen a Mustang as the US fighter.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m