Going to try to pull the wool over our eyes?

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Here’s what I’m thinking…

1. The game is only going to be $35 or whatever…

“Newly sculpted playing pieces and all new packaging will position this game as the cornerstone of the Axis & Allies game line for years to come.”

all of the over 350 plastic playing pieces are country-specific - Quote from Axis and Allies Europe

I’m noting they are not saying that AA1942 will have Country Specific Playing pieces… and I’m thinking with the low (lowest ever) cost… that they may return to the days of original A&A where all countries had EXACTLY the same pieces (barring infantry)

Any thoughts?  Why bother with “New Scuplt’s” If you want to keep the costs down, just use the old ones!!!

• OK the game is at $20 bucks on pre-order

second the pieces are all new and nation specific.

So its worth it to buy 6-10 copies of the game.

• Who would need 10 copies?

• Me

• Me too

• How do you use 10 copies?

• @runyan99:

How do you use 10 copies?

I figure we are gonna use them the right way.

• Is there a lot of destruction of game components?

• I use the extra pieces to replace my other games. This is a true upgrade and since i own multiple copies of the other games these new pieces make the old pieces obsolete, which is a great thing because the better the pieces look the more enjoyment i get from playing. I also have painted metal sets for all the games and non-painted metal sets for all the games.

When MB AA came out in 1984 those pieces were indispensable little gems as i could use them for all sorts of other games, and other games were indeed created by companies like Xeno and table tactics to make new types of games as well as conquest games and others.  All the pieces are put to work and 10 sets should cover any anticipated moments of creative efforts to create new games with these pieces.

Now back last year i pre-ordered 6 copies of AA50 for $69 bucks each no shipping no tax… You can readily see the potential money i could sell 5 of these back for $200 each on ebay. So basically it works out to buy extra games. I give a few to others in order to get more people interested in them and have a bigger cadre of people to play with.

I also want to support Larry Harris in his old age and provide a nice pension for him. He richly deserves it.

• '20 '18 '16 '13 '12

Agreed. It does seem a little fishy that there will be totally new country specific sculps and at only $35 they will have to be cutting corners somewhere…

Perhaps they are going with paper pieces this time.

• no they are not. Its quality. not to worry.

AAE had new pieces and it costs about the same.

• @Imperious:

no they are not. Its quality. not to worry.

AAE had new pieces and it costs about the same.

That is correct (as always)

• A&A Europe come with 30 new sculpts, including new artillery and destroyer pieces, and this was high quality. And the game cost only $ 30.

• Then A&A Pacific come with 10 new sculpts, also high quality, and cost only $ 30.

• Then we got A&A Anniversary with only 5 new sculpts, and some of the pieces had low quality too, like bend ships and skinny tanks. This game cost $ 100.

So my conclusion is, that plastic pieces cost from less to nothing. It is the playtesting that cost money. Greg dont playtest for free, so with him on the team, the Anniversary game just had to be expencive.

Wait a minute, are you saying ppl get PAID to play test A&A games!??!?!?

Thats the most absurd thing i have ever heard, why wouldnt they just come here and ask for some volunteers, who have YEARS of gaming experience, who would love to do it for FREE?

and wtf do you do to get that job? get a degree in Gameology??? BS

• Official Q&A

@Gargantua:

No, they don’t.

• @Krieghund:

@Gargantua:

No, they don’t.

And that is the “official” answer, I presume ?

• Official Q&A

@Adlertag:

And that is the “official” answer, I presume ?

Implying what, exactly?

If you look at the credits in the Rulebook, you’ll see that there are “internal playtesters” and “external playtesters” listed.  The internal playtesters are employees of Avalon Hill, so I suppose that, in a sense, they get paid to playtest, insofar as they are being paid to do their jobs (which involve much more than playtesting).  The external playtesters, however, are all volunteers who were not compensated monetarily.

I am not an employee of AH.  However, the work that I do requires me to be (legally) bound by confidentiality.  As a result, there are many things that I am not allowed to reveal, but I do tell you what I can, when I can.  You will never find me telling you things because they’re the “company line” from AH.  I don’t lie to you guys.  I believe that my past record shows this.

• Hey if AH ever is looking for volunteer play testers, we have a highly experience A&A group ready to take on any new game designs. I think it would be a blast being part of the development of our favorite game. 8-)

Amen, i second that motion! i’ve got warm bodies ready to roll fof playtesting!

And good on you KH, for volunteering to make the game and community great! :)

• @Gargantua:

Here’s what I’m thinking…

1. The game is only going to be $35 or whatever…

“Newly sculpted playing pieces and all new packaging will position this game as the cornerstone of the Axis & Allies game line for years to come.”

all of the over 350 plastic playing pieces are country-specific - Quote from Axis and Allies Europe

I’m noting they are not saying that AA1942 will have Country Specific Playing pieces… and I’m thinking with the low (lowest ever) cost… that they may return to the days of original A&A where all countries had EXACTLY the same pieces (barring infantry)

Any thoughts?  Why bother with “New Scuplt’s” If you want to keep the costs down, just use the old ones!!!

You’ve got me wondering if they’ll be smaller pieces.

New and nation specifc sculpts to be sure but perhaps not the same scale?

One would assume that there are one or two primary reasons for making the new sculpts

1)Would be they won’t get us back to the well again without them since in the short term the market for this game is the people who already have sets.

2)The new sculpts create savings in time and/or material. Smaller scale would fit both.

Just speculating and wondering of course.  :|

• It would be a total disaster if they were in a different scale. OMG dont say such things.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m