• Can someone give me some instructions on how to play online or in this league??

thanks

Questioneer

• I will cover using Abattlemap as that is the mapping utility most players here use.

1. ABattlemap and the AA50 module can be found in this thread.
    http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?topic=12873.0

2. Abattlemap is a mapping utility. It is basically an electronic board it does not roll dice or remove killed units.

3 Some Abattlemap helpful tips:

A)  To move pieces you can either move each one individually with the mouse or, you can use shift+mouse to move 5 units, control+mouse to move ten units or shift+control+mouse to move entire stacks.

B)  The same keyboard/mouse combinations work to add and subtract pieces from the board.  Basically, it replicates the old chips (including the 10 chips that many people have added to their boxes. Tongue  )

C)  It will keep a running tally on how many navy units you have (in IPC value) and how many combined land/air units you have.

D)  As you add and subtract flags, it automatically adjusts the IPC value of each nation for you.  Great for collecting income since you don’t have to worry about miscounting.

E)  Many people will put flags in the Sahara to represent rounds of play.  They will also use flags in Saudia Arabia to represent cash on hand for each nation. (This pertains to Revised)

F)  To get a unit list, go to View ==> List Units

G) If your toolbars disappear, go into the directory and delete the abattlemap.ini file (it’s the only ini file in there.)  Restart battlemap and the program will rebuild your ini file and put the toolbars back in the default location.  To stop this from needing to be done, do not put the toolbars on the extreme sides of the board. (XP and Vista will kick them off the screen where you cannot see them.  It’s whacked.)

H)  To open a file you have to open Battlemap then open the file from inside battlemap.

4. Find an opponent.

5. Start a thread in the play games section or respond with your turn in your opponents thread.

6 Dice are rolled via the forum. For 4 infantry and 3 tanks attacking you would type in

;aaa 4@1 3@3;

except instead of ; use :

that will give this:

DiceRolls: 4@1 3@3; Total Hits: 24@1: (3, 5, 3, 1)3@3: (6, 4, 1)

or for single or multiple dice rolls (techs or SBRs)

type in:

;dice 1d6;

for one die or for 3 dice

;dice 3d6;

again substitute : for ;

DiceRolling 1d6:
    (1)  
    DiceRolling 3d6:
    (2, 4, 5)

7. Purchases, combat moves, combat results, non-combat moves and placement are all typed out. We all have slightly different styles and I would recommend looking at some game threads to get a general idea of what a turn should look like.

8. As far as League games, the '09 Revised League has started. To participate post or reply in the Find opponents thread.

9. The only current Tournament is a Revised Tournament in the semi-finals stage.

I hope all this helps you or anyone else looking to join us in online play here. I play both face to face and online. Honestly I have come to prefer playing online for numerous reasons. Mainly because it is easy to find opponents, there is no need to finish the game at one sitting, and you never have to worry about the pieces getting knocked about on the board (the dreaded attack cat). Abattlemap takes a bit of getting used to but I think it is well worth it once one becomes adjusted to playing with it.

• Got it- I can use the dice and I got Battlemap with AA50 stuff- works good.  I’m sure I will have questions along the way.

Thanks a lot- for AA you may be right, and myself very wrong- online is probably going to be better because of time- I stand corrected.

Thanks again

Questioneer

• Additional question:

Being quite new to this I watched some Play by Forum games.
    I see that normally each player rolls the dices as well for the attacker as for the defender and chooses the casualties for both. So the defender does not decide himself.

Is there any rule or agreement behind this?
    I could think of an agreement such as “always take out the unit with the minimal defensive value” or “always take the cheapest unit” or something like that.

• There is no agreement per say. Normal common sense dictates the losses in most battles. Sometimes someone will post an OOL (Order Of Life) for a potential upcoming battle. In large battles especially naval battles the defender will be asked to name their losses. The defender always has the right to say hold on I would have lost something different and the battle would resume from that point.

• @a44bigdog:

someone will post an OOL (Order Of Life)

I have heard OOL labeled

“Order Of Loss”

• @a44bigdog:

There is no agreement per say. Normal common sense dictates the losses in most battles. Sometimes someone will post an OOL (Order Of Life) for a potential upcoming battle. In large battles especially naval battles the defender will be asked to name their losses. The defender always has the right to say hold on I would have lost something different and the battle would resume from that point.

Thank you. So i will improve my “normal common sense” and continue watching some forum-games in order to prepare for my first online battle :-)

• wenn du bock hast panther… , ich bin auch neu hier ^^ :D

• I don’t play online, I’ve really only played F2F games; but does Abattlemap have an AI?

• @atarihuana:

wenn du bock hast panther… , ich bin auch neu hier ^^ :D

Prima, ich melde mich dann mit einer PM :-)

@captainjack:

I don’t play online, I’ve really only played F2F games; but does Abattlemap have an AI?

No it has not.

• Probably will get this before someone responds, but how do you remove pieces from the board?

• Look at the upper right hand corner of abattlemap. Clicking Del will bring up a “crosshairs” to delete units with. Same functions for adding apply to delete, ie. holding shift is multiples of 5 holding control is multiples of 10. To go back to the arrow icon from the delete crosshairs click on ESC also at the top right.

• Ah man, I kept clicking and trying all kinds of key buttons lol!  Thanks for the help!

• The Triple A version of AA50 has also been released.

Check out

http://triplea.sourceforge.net/mywiki/Forum#nabble-f1671093

• @Woodstock:

The Triple A version of AA50 has also been released.

Check out

Everyone keep in mind that this is the 1st beta version, i.e. expect plenty of bugs when playing it.

• @Hobbes:

@Woodstock:

The Triple A version of AA50 has also been released.

Check out

Everyone keep in mind that this is the 1st beta version, i.e. expect plenty of bugs when playing it.

True that. Forgot to mention it, sorry.
    Nonetheless, I’m down to my 2nd game now, and have yet to receive on error.
    The only thing that does not work I noticed so far is the partial retreat during a combined amphibious and land attack.

• @Woodstock:

The only thing that does not work I noticed so far is the partial retreat during a combined amphibious and land attack.

Kev mentioned that it is not implemented yet. I think that for the time being the goal is to have the new things added so far working flawless before other features are added.

• @Hobbes:

@Woodstock:

Kev mentioned that it is not implemented yet. I think that for the time being the goal is to have the new things added so far working flawless before other features are added.

Again, true.

And I couldn’t care less about the partial retreat. The tech’s, NO’s, transports and all thse other nice features that make AA50 so great are implemented, so I love it  :-D

• Can anyone give me any tips how to see the very far south and east of the ABattlemap '41 map?  I cant see central USA & mex, or all the info at the bottom of the board. Thanks!

Hold down the right mouse button as you scroll around.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m