• Returning player here. Used to play with friends years ago, now playing again using TripleA. A few questions:

• Where can I find the differences between vanilla 1942-2e (I’m guessing this is what OOB/out of box means) and the Larry Harris Tournament Rules? I can’t find LHTR for this version, only for Revised.
    • Is there a glossary somewhere of terms and acronyms that are commonly used online, but aren’t found in the official rules? I only understand about 2/3 of what I’m reading here.
    • What are bids? How exactly do they work? What’s their purpose? If any strategy is involved, where can I find strategy for bids?
    • It seems to be the general consensus that A&A games released since Revised are tilted in the Axis’ favor. What are the major contributing factors to this imbalance? What can be done to balance the game for an even footing?

• Welcome to the forum :slightly_smiling_face:

@Lifthil said in Questions from a returning player:

Returning player here. Used to play with friends years ago, now playing again using TripleA. A few questions:

• Where can I find the differences between vanilla 1942-2e (I’m guessing this is what OOB/out of box means) and the Larry Harris Tournament Rules? I can’t find LHTR for this version, only for Revised.

It is by far not as much as it was for Revised. Actually it is only a slightly different setup, as mentioned here:
    https://www.axisandallies.org/forums/post/29339

• Is there a glossary somewhere of terms and acronyms that are commonly used online, but aren’t found in the official rules? I only understand about 2/3 of what I’m reading here.

Look at the respective stickies in the Player Help Category.

• What are bids? How exactly do they work? What’s their purpose? If any strategy is involved, where can I find strategy for bids?
    • It seems to be the general consensus that A&A games released since Revised are tilted in the Axis’ favor. What are the major contributing factors to this imbalance? What can be done to balance the game for an even footing?

A ‘bid’ is an amount of IPC granted to the player to compensate for playing the “weaker” alliance. So it is used by players to correct any imbalance. So in case the game is in favour of the Axis, the player playing the Allies gets some extra IPC to spend for units that add to his starting setup.

The most common way is for one player to start at a high bid for Allies and the other player bids lower. This process continues until you reach a number when one or the other player is unwilling to bid any lower for Allies.

• @Panther Thanks for the reply. I already hate a few of those acronyms, particularly AP for transport, CA for cruiser, and CV for aircraft carrier. As far as I can tell from those threads, the U.S. Navy uses those for esoteric historical reasons, but they’re quite baffling to me, and I have no military background anyway.
    With LHTR and LL, what’s a pretty standard bid for 1942-2e? And is the bid per nation or per side? I.e., if the bid is 12, does that mean that Russia, UK, and USA each get 12 IPCs to pre-place, or is it 12 to be spent among all 3 Allied powers?

• @Lifthil said in Questions from a returning player:

I already hate a few of those acronyms, particularly Armor for tank, Fighter for singled engine combat aircraft, and Bomber for multi-engine long rang aircraft. As far as I can tell from those threads, the U.S. Military uses those for esoteric historical reasons, but they’re quite baffling to me, and I have no military background anyway.

Yep. Excellent points

• @Lifthil said in Questions from a returning player:

@Panther
    With LHTR and LL, what’s a pretty standard bid for 1942-2e?

No idea here, someone else should answer this.

And is the bid per nation or per side? I.e., if the bid is 12, does that mean that Russia, UK, and USA each get 12 IPCs to pre-place, or is it 12 to be spent among all 3 Allied powers?

Usually the bid is per side. It depends on what the players agree.
    In our Golbal 1940-league, these are two of the basic bidding rules:

Default settings for bidding:

• Limit one bid unit in a territory or sea zone.
    • The nation placing a unit in a territory or sea zone must have started with a unit in said territory or sea zone prior to placing the bid.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m