• '18 '17 '16 '15 Customizer

Hello everyone… wanted your input on something.

I am getting married very soon and will be taking a honeymoon in the Seattle - Northern Oregon area. (for 7 days)

Any recommendations on where to go or what to see based on your own travels? Or perhaps you are a local and have some good pointers.

I have some idea of things to do/see, but wonder in particular if there are any less touristy areas that fly under the radar but are worth going to.

Any and all suggestions are very welcomed. Thank you in advance!

• Customizer

If you can make it check out the Oregon coast. Seaside is touristy but worth the trip. The Tillamook air museum is also pretty cool lots of modern and vintage aircraft.

Seattle in and of itself is is pretty interesting. Most fo what I could point you to is pretty touristy but they aren’t really too crowded.

There is a small place at Seaside Oregon called Inn at the Four Winds which is a small, affordable hotel that is nicer and far less expensive than rentng a beach house or room at the larger hotels.
    Seaside is very pedestrian friendly and has a beatiful view of the ocean.

Hope this helps.

• If you like beer, Oregon/Washington (besides Cali and Colorado) seem to be a destination for craft beer drinkers.  Even if you don’t do it yourself, you may be able to bring some back and make a buck or two.

• If you like rain and cold, Oregon/Washington  seem to be a destination for cold and rain lovers.

So basically go to Hawaii.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Definetly check out the Oregon Vortex!

http://www.oregonvortex.com/

It’s a place in N.E. Oregon where due to some unknown natural phenomenon the laws of physics, and perception as you know them don’t apply as they should.

I’ve known several people who have gone, and apparently it’s quite the experience!

IL speaks truth… has the lucky lady in question ever made a suggestion that she would like to go to a cold, damp, depressingly dark place (I’m assuming soon means late fall). I’d think you’ll both really enjoy something a little warmer, but, could be wrong. Oh, and congrats! ;)

GG

Obviously neither of you have been to Oregon, over 60% of the state is semi-arid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Climatemapusa2.PNG

• We are all different GG. Some are happy avoiding the sun and heat. Nothing wrong with that.
    Hawaii is also a long way away. Not everyone likes long aeroplane flights. (I don’t.)
    Hoffmann asked for help in the Seattle, Oregon area. There is no need for anyone  to be disparaging.
    I suspect their plans are made.

Of course, congratulations on your forthcoming marriage Hoffmann. All the best.

Thank you all… each and every one:   Toblerone, Jermo, IL Garg, GG, Wittman… I really appreciate your input.

To answer some questions:

• I probably will try some beer. I cannot say that I am a connoisseur by any stretch, but I enjoy trying new ones, especially the darker brews. I look forward to that. I hear they have quite the hipster coffee scene too, though I am less interested in that and certainly no hipster.

• The Oregon coast was a planned stop(s) and probably the main leg of the trip. (She wants the ocean). My impression is that the coast and beaches in Oregon will not be like East Coast or So Cal beaches, in terms of crowds and general activity level. I don’t mind being with other people, but I don’t want Virginia beach.

• Looks like the Oregon Vortex is too far south and inland for this trip… And what the heck is this, like a Mystery Spot (Michigan) gimmick?

• We were looking into Hawaii for a while, but very quickly realized that it would be much too expensive. (Our budget is around $1700) Otherwise I would love to go to Hawaii.

• As far as weather is concerned… “soon” means first half of Septemeber so… 2 weeks from now. According to Oregon.com:

First, let’s clear up the “rainy Oregon” perception. Yes, it rains a lot in Oregon … if you’re visiting during the months of November, December, January, February or March.
      If you plan your trip in July, August or September, you can expect wonderful and dry days.

I hope this remains true.

And no disparagement was taken… it is a good point. The weather is something to consider. Stereotypically, honeymoons are warm and tropical, and while we were looking at a Caribbean cruise for some time, we wanted something with more freedom and less touristy.

Our trip is probably 30% planned at this point… I have not booked anything yet, so the situation is fluid. And alternatives (based on our budget) are very welcome.

Thank you all for your input and congratulations.

I spoke with Garg a while back because we were kicking around going to Canada (BC) at one time. That has since been changed. Though we did consider staying a couple nights in Victoria. While I would still love to do that, I am not sure time and money will permit on this trip.

Unfortunate… Could have met up with you Joel. Though you live in Vancouver don’t you?

My family is all from the West Coast, driven through Oregon many times visiting Grandparents (CA and WA). My dad was raised on the Eastern Side of Washington. I lived those few years in the Seattle area (Kitsap Peninsula). The coast is foggy (wasn’t mentioning rain), and my point about it being depressing revolved around late fall (wasn’t sure how close he was cutting his honeymoon plans).

I would choose a different place, but that’s me. ;)  The Pacific (coast side) Northwest has it’s redemption and it’s beautiful in its own way. So, absolutely correct you are my good Wittman, I acquiesce that point.

If you get the chance LHoffman, check out Olympia National Park. It’s a beautiful place. Plus, I do believe the park extends out onto the Washington coast. That’s where I would go.

GG

• Obviously neither of you have been to Oregon.

I have been twice because we have relative’s who live there. It rained both times and we looked at the forecast ahead of time to plot a time when it would be halfway decent weather. Like i said, the report was wrong and it rained almost the entire week. Not to mention is is way too cold, like Canada.

look at this report in the summer…

And nobody “visits” into the eastern part of Oregon. Yea sure lets vacation in Baker city population 4… When you visit most people stay on the coast.

• @Imperious:

Obviously neither of you have been to Oregon.

I have been twice because we have relative’s who live there. It rained both times and we looked at the forecast ahead of time to plot a time when it would be halfway decent weather. Like i said, the report was wrong and it rained almost the entire week. Not to mention is is way too cold, like Canada.

look at this report in the summer…

And nobody “visits” into the eastern part of Oregon. Yea sure lets vacation in Baker city population 4… When you visit most people stay on the coast.

It’s the same with Climate Change/Global Warming.  First off, one point of data is not a trend, it’s a data point or anecdote.

Second, and most importantly, misrepresenting data automatically invalidates what you say.  A simple Google Image search by pic turns out the originating URL to be: http://www.oregonlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2011/01/weekend_weather_news_oregon_we_2.html

on January 28, 2011

LHoffman, currently, Portland, OR looks quite nice.  Here’s an up to date weather info:

http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Portland+OR+USOR0275:1:US

Hey guys, let’s try to keep to the topic now, and not try and flame/bait. Thanks.

Another place you might look at is Lassen/Shasta National Parks. Beautiful parts of Northern CA (my grandparents live in Redding so I’ve visited those places several times). Beautiful redwoods and beautiful lakes.

GG

A “cheap” and fun date/day-event would be to take your old lady to one of the flying schools, for a “discover flight” introduction.

It’s usually like $50 to $100, and a private pilot will take you up for an hour or two in a small plane over the landscape, and talk to you about learning to fly.

Oregon or Washington would both be excellent places to do this and enjoy the scenery.

• A simple Google Image search by pic turns out the originating URL to be: http://www.oregonlive.com/weather/index.ssf/2011/01/weekend_weather_news_oregon_we_2.html

That simple search says the weather is cloudy or partly cloudy with chance of rain. What is the difference between that picture and the current forecast?

NOT MUCH.

Cloudy, chance of rain.

Yea some vacation… :wink:

• It is just a goofy picture. But the forecast is the same as now.

• @rjpeters70:

Except you lied IL.  The gif you provided was from the dead of winter, and you said it was from the summer.

That’s the difference.  You knowingly lied to try to shore up your argument.

That was actually a strong argument to visit Oregon in winter.

• That was actually a strong argument to visit Oregon in winter.

If you are a snowman and don’t want to melt, then yes. But the weather is virtually the same regardless of season. COLD

That is not unlike Hawaii. year round clear skies and 78-88…does not change regardless of season

IL, although I agree with you (I’d rather go to Hawaii for example), I’m guessing they still want to go to the coast of Oregon. It’s based on personal opinion.

GG

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m