• Well losing the virtual drool is a start. Your first reaction if she were plain would not to be to tell her she was plain would it? Why should your first reaction if she is pretty be to tell her she is pretty? If she thinks she is pretty she doesn’t need you to tell her. If she doesn’t think she is pretty she will think you are just trying to get up her skirts.

@trihero:

So maybe I should initially have said something like “not bad, but I’ve seen better” in order to pretend that I’ve seen a pretty girl before? :-P

Acting like you’ve seen a pretty girl is to not say anything. It is to not fall all over yourself trying to get her attention. She may think it is cute but more likely she won’t.

But then I could be wrong. Avoiding the certain paths to defeat as opposed to the uncertain paths to victory is the way I usually lean.

• Very nice rack!! And I love your style too. Not only do you play well, your smak is excellent also.

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

Just some clarification.  I think you might be a bit confused.  Women, and girls, do like to receive compliments, even in today’s liberated environment.  Just try to keep the drool in your mouths.  We arn’t meat at the butcher shoppe.

And MD, whatcha mean “smak”?

• How is it possible for a thread to gain ascendancy from the topic of somebodies icon?  Oh nevermind i forgot we are dealing with geeks. :roll:

• @Jennifer:

Just some clarification. I think you might be a bit confused. Women, and girls, do like to receive compliments, even in today’s liberated environment.

Not saying women don’t.

I just think a compliment particularly about her appearance shouldn’t be the first thing out of your non drool filled mouth. Ease into it. Also saying nice things about her appearance is easy and everyone does it.

You might try something like “Jennifer, you play Axis and Allies well. Right up there with the best players I’ve seen. I also enjoy when you trash talk your opponents. Always well done.”

I don’t know. That or “Nice rack.”

@frimmel:

@Jennifer:

Just some clarification. I think you might be a bit confused. Women, and girls, do like to receive compliments, even in today’s liberated environment.

Not saying women don’t.

I just think a compliment particularly about her appearance shouldn’t be the first thing out of your non drool filled mouth. Ease into it. Also saying nice things about her appearance is easy and everyone does it.

You might try something like “Jennifer, you play Axis and Allies well. Right up there with the best players I’ve seen. I also enjoy when you trash talk your opponents. Always well done.”

Granted, compliments on playing style are better then about appearance, but I also take great effort to dress up before hitting the floor at Cons (especially GenCon and Bristol Ren Faire)  Recognition of that hard work isn’t a bad thing either. :)

• I fear I am being misunderstood.

I am not advocating a general policy of not complimenting women on their brains, charm or appearance.

I am advocating that a gentleman be mindful of the manner he uses to compliment. At the very least he should pause, and count to five before letting the first thing that comes to mind come out of his mouth at the first oppurtunity. How you compliment is as important as that you do isn’t it?

I am suggesting that if men (I include myself here) who played Axis and Allies took the prescence of a knowledgable and beautiful woman player more in stride we might decrease its rarity. We might then be fortunate enough to enjoy the company of more smart, charming women who play a terrific game of A&A and who undoubtedly look wonderful in renaisance garb.

• I am suggesting that if men (I include myself here) who played Axis and Allies took the prescence of a knowledgable and beautiful woman player more in stride we might decrease its rarity. We might then be fortunate enough to enjoy the company of more smart, charming women who play a terrific game of A&A and who undoubtedly look wonderful in renaisance garb.

You sir are cunning.

• CC’s Rules:

1. date hot women
    2. introduce them very slowly to your game/drug of choice
    3. if they enjoy it - we have a winner
    4. if they don’t - you really have to evaluate what’s important. 
      (this would explain my decreasing interest in the game and these fora - priority changes.  I guess i could get my current g/f’s kid interested in A&A . . . )

1. if they don’t - you really have to evaluate what’s important.

LOL  :-D

@cystic:

(this would explain my decreasing interest in the game and these fora - priority changes.  I guess i could get my current g/f’s kid interested in A&A . . . )

Now now, CC, don’t be baby-napping the girl!  :)

I plan to get my kids interested in A&A though….unfortunately it’ll have to be an electronic version since board games will definately be “out” by then.

• I plan to get my kids interested in A&A though….unfortunately it’ll have to be an electronic version since board games will definately be “out” by then

AHHH!! Nooooo!! A&A is primarily about the board game feeling, that’s what makes it so cool. I don’t think I’d have ever gotten into A&A if it were simply a program on a computer, it’s so fun to have all those chips and plastic men. Don’t deprive your children of an important educational experience, Jen ^_^

• 2007 AAR League

Besides, you can’t accidentaly knock over the computer when you’re losing, can you?… well, I guess you could. But it would be a lot less convincing than with the board  :-D

@trihero:

I plan to get my kids interested in A&A though….unfortunately it’ll have to be an electronic version since board games will definately be “out” by then

AHHH!! Nooooo!! A&A is primarily about the board game feeling, that’s what makes it so cool. I don’t think I’d have ever gotten into A&A if it were simply a program on a computer, it’s so fun to have all those chips and plastic men. Don’t deprive your children of an important educational experience, Jen ^_^

I agree, I personally thought the battleships were cute when I saw my ex-boyfriend’s game one day.  I started playing with it while they were trying to “teach” me how to play, but despite me expressed indifference I started to understand the rules, then figured I’d shut up the whole gang and just play a game and cursh them like wee little bugs!  (They stuck me with Japan, because they all hated to play Japan…they thought it was worthless, until I owned Africa, Australia and had a significant force in Alaska.)

Of course, back then, I didn’t realize Japan could attack Russia effectively…And we didn’t exactly use the Yakut SSR Wall to slow down the Japs…so it looked like Russia had a TON more troops, to my untrained eye at the time…

• Why would anyone hate to play Japan?  I would say they are my favorite nation to play! (Sorry for going off-topic; that just blows me away!)

At the time (early 90’s) it was because Japan seemed so spread out and weak.  Back then it was Japan vs United States (while taking China/Sink and India, maybe even SFE if lucky) and Russia/Brition against Germany.

Basically, it was up to Germany to win for the Axis, the way we used to play it…of course, things changed :)  Me and those whacky strategy ideas…taking Hawaii on turn one, using it as an air base, running amuck in Africa…ah, the innocence of the time, when you invented your own strategies, instead of taking the canned KGF strat that most people use because it’s proven.

• @frimmel:

@Jennifer:

Not saying women don’t.

I dont know if you meant that to be funny, but that quote just made me ROFLOL. In fact, I see a new sig…

Squirecam

• 2007 AAR League

When I played with my friends it was normally KJF, with Russia fending off Germany as long as possible with limited UK aid. Needless to say, when I came to these forums my perception of the game changed dramatically.

• Squire, that isn’t quite the way I meant that but glad you enjoyed it.

• Man, you guys don’t know many people who raised their daughters right!  :-)

I tell my teenage daughter, “If you can’t kick their sAs at A&A, or them not handle the ‘sAs kicking’ dump 'em.”
    Not really.
    I just take the time to show all her boy friends/boyfriends my gun collection while ignoring my target shooting awards…
    Heh-heh!
    Oh, and then I make arrangemants to take them shooting so they can see how well…
    my daughter can handle guns. Heh-heh!

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m