Small setup modification G40

• What about giving the French IPC to Italy? All formerly French territories go to Italy, independent of who conquers them.
    However, one should keep in mind, that any IPC transferred from Germany to Italy is a small disadvantgae for the Axis Power, as Italy is significantly later in the turn oder (especially after UK).

Therefore, another possibility to buff Italy would be to let them have their turn earlier.
    For example:
    1. Germany
    2. Soviet Union
    3. United States
    4. Italy
    5. United Kingdom
    6. France
    However, as this is a great advantage to the Axis, it should be adjusted by additional british navy in the med.

• Customizer

What about an Afrika Korps HR? similar to the lend lease rule in AAE99? Allow the German player to purchase and transfer units to Italy upon agreement of both players if the unit is delivered to original Italian TTs in North Africa.

• Here’s an alternate suggestion for giving the Italian player two powers to control to make life more interesting for him.  Find a set of Vichy house rules which are to your liking, in which either all or part of France and its colonial empire goes over to the Vichy side when France falls, and have the Italian player control this Vichy component, with Vichy France being considered an active Axis co-belligerent (rather than mostly sitting on the sidelines, as was the case historically).  In this variant, the Russian player would either not control France at all (if all of France switches to Vichy), or would only control the Free French parts of the former French colonial empire (if some of these terriories choose to join Free France).

• Sponsor

so which parts would be Vichy, and which would be Colonial Empire?

• @Young:

I have a list at home which I researched about a year ago.  I’ll look it up tonight and post it here tomorrow.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@Young:

I have a list at home which I researched about a year ago.  I’ll look it up tonight and post it here tomorrow.

Thanks

• @Young:

@CWO:

@Young:

Thanks

I’ve listed below the A&A 1940 map equivalents of France’s actual territories in WWII, along with notes on whether and at what dates each territory sided with (or was taken over by) Free France.

–-------------------------------------------------

France (the A&A 1940 map territory with this name, not the country as a whole): Occupied by Germany June 1940

Normandy / Bordeaux: Occupied by Germany June 1940

Southern France: Under Vichy control from June 1940 until occupied by Germany and Italy in November 1942

French Indo China: Invaded by Japan September 1940 but remained under nominal Vichy control

New Hebrides: Joined FF June 1940

French Equatorial Africa: Except for Gabon, joined FF June 1940; Gabon seized by FF November 1940

Syria: Occupied by Britain and FF July 1941

Morocco: Occupied by Allies and FF November 1942

Algeria: Occupied by Allies and FF November 1942

French Madagascar: Invaded and occupied by Britain September-November 1942; transferred to FF January 1943

Tunisia: Occupied by Allies and FF May 1943

French Guiana: Joined FF in 1943

French West Africa: Vichy

French Central Africa: Vichy

If we make some simplifying assumptions for the purposes of game play, here’s what I think we could reasonably assume happens from a historical point of view (under possible Vichy / Free French house rules) when France falls at the start of the game:

• Germany occupies France (the A&A 1940 map territory with this name, not the country as a whole) and Normandy / Bordeaux.

• Southern France becomes the capital of Vichy France (which could be played by the Italian player)

• Free France (which could be played by the Russian player) gains control of the New Hebrides and of French Equatorial Africa.

• Depending on player preference, French Indo China either continues to be played according to the OOB rules, or is occupied by Japan, or is considered to fall under Vichy control.

• The remaining French territories (Syria, Morocco, Algeria, French Madagascar, Tunisia, French Guiana, French West Africa and French Central Africa) are assumed to fall under Vichy control (played by the Italian player).

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16

Introducing Vichy France does spice up the game, but all this is doing is allocating funds to a very minor power that could be better used by Germany or Italy.

It’s a tough draw for Italy, the only way they can have some fun is if the German player cooperates by letting Italy take Southern France (prevents blockade losses) and strafes Yugoslavia. Sparing any air in Africa would be icing on the cake.

• @General:

It’s a tough draw for Italy, the only way they can have some fun is if the German player cooperates by letting Italy take Southern France (prevents blockade losses) and strafes Yugoslavia.

Fair enough.  Staying within YG’s requirement for a six-player setup, maybe an alternate solution would be this:

Player 1: Germany + Italy
    Player 2: Japan
    Player 3: Soviet Union
    Player 4: United States
    Player 5: United Kingdom
    Player 6: ANZAC + France + China

• Out of curiosity, I checked the above concept against the prescribed Global 1940 order of play.  Organizing the list by order of play, it would read as:

1. Germany – Player 1
    2. Soviet Union – Player 3
    3. Japan – Player 2
    4. United States – Player 4
    5. China – Player 6
    6. United Kingdom – Player 5
    7. Italy – Player 1
    8. ANZAC – Player 6
    9. France – Player 6

Organizing the list by player number, it would read as:

Player 1: Germany + Italy: plays 1st and 7th
    Player 2: Japan: plays 3rd
    Player 3: Soviet Union: plays 2nd
    Player 4: United States: plays 4th
    Player 5: United Kingdom: plays 6th
    Player 6: ANZAC + France + China: plays 5th, 8th and 9th

• Sponsor

Hey CWO Marc,

Great work on the Vichy territories, perhaps you should create a new thread for Vichy house rule guidelines with that post cut and pasted, just so it doesn’t get buried here if someone needs that info.

As for my group games where one player is stuck with Italy… I appreciate the sugestions, however, our group plays with a UK Pacific nation which combines all Pacific British units with ANZAC units giving the capital of Calcutta a combined income of 27 IPC. It has been working great and we have no intensions of going back to regular nations, so giving one player ANZAC / China / France won’t work under our system. We recently had a 7 player game on the weekend which went like this…

Player 1 - Germany
    Player 2 -Japan
    Player 3 -Italy

Player 4 -Soviet Union
    Player 5 -United States
    Player 6 -UK Europe / France
    Player 7 -UK Pacific / China

However, we like to keep our games to just 6 players with the above 7 player system if we over crowd our games once and awhile. So in a 6 player game, our group looks like this…

Player 1 - Germany
    Player 2 -Japan
    Player 3 -Italy

Player 4 -Soviet Union/ China
    Player 5 -United States / France
    Player 6 -UK Europe / UK Pacific

Which still requires someone getting stuck with Italy.

As for Vichy, I think turning all French units on Vichy territories into Italian units is too strong, I would probably remove the French units and place Italian control markers on them when Paris falls.

One last thing I’ll add is that Italy may not a desirable option but Russia is no picnic. You’re spending the first several hours bending but hoping not to break, and building a TON of infantry in the process. Sure it requires special care to plan defenses and opportune counterattacks, but it’s by far the least sexy (and always has been) option of the Big Three Allies.

What about removing a transport that is guaranteed to be a goner in exchange for an extra infantry and artillery in Tobruk? Basically a shuttle before the game begins.

• Sponsor

@General:

What about removing a transport that is guaranteed to be a goner in exchange for an extra infantry and artillery in Tobruk? Basically a shuttle before the game begins.

That’s interesting, good idea.

• @General:

I’d at least put them in Libya or split them between Libya/Tobruk so Egypt isn’t as compromised.

Thanks YG, it’s good you’re actively questioning and tinkering with the game as it helps keep it fresh.

Splitting the new units does make sense too.

• What we do with Vichy France is that as soon as France (the territory) and Normandy are captured, the French turn phase is removed (and no French units can move.) Now on non combat moves any unit from any power (besides the USSR) can move into a French territory or sea zone and activate it for either Vichy France or the Free French. However to keep it simple, to represent this, the territory now belongs to that power, and any French units that were on it now belong to that power and can move normally.
    We believe that this adds another element of strategy, as well as giving Italy a bit of an easier time at it.

Some Special Rules:
    The French units that begin in a territory or sea zone with the UK in it become UK as soon as France and Normandy fall.

What do you guys think?

• Sponsor

Our group has decided to modify the NOs in order to help Italy get something going after Taranto… We are removing the 5 IPC bonus for control of all North Africa, and replacing it with…

5 IPCs if Italy has at least 1 land unit in Africa.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m