Making the Mediterranean interesting

• Sponsor

Wether playing the Axis or the Allies, many of our group players are spit on how much to invest in the Mediterranean theater. Some believe that it’s Italy’s job to ignore the Med and help Germany rush the Ukraine factory, some believe that Italy taking Cairo with the assistance of German air is the way to go. As the Allies, do you invest most of your starting units in Africa even sending over the ships from India? Going all in on Taranto? build in South Africa?.. and for what, Cairo? It seems that the argument is that neither side can afford to allow the other side to dominate the Med, so we fight over Cairo and the side who gets put on their heels is the first to concede the middle east. However, why not up the stakes in the Med by balancing the risk vs. reward with this one simple house rule…

The side that controls Greece may enter the Black Sea.

• @Young:

Wether playing the Axis or the Allies, many of our group players are spit on how much to invest in the Mediterranean theater. Some believe that it’s Italy’s job to ignore the Med and help Germany rush the Ukraine factory, some believe that Italy taking Cairo with the assistance of German air is the way to go. As the Allies, do you invest most of your starting units in Africa even sending over the ships from India? Going all in on Taranto? build in South Africa?.. and for what, Cairo? It seems that the argument is that neither side can afford to allow the other side to dominate the Med, so we fight over Cairo and the side who gets put on their heels is the first to concede the middle east. However, why not up the stakes in the Med by balancing the risk vs. reward with this one simple house rule…

On paper, that screams axis buff.

• Isn’t Turkey usually in play anyways because I thought your group liked to establish a beach head on Spain with USA?

• Sponsor

We’ve learned that the US resources needed to take Paris from Spain allows Japan to much freedom to dominate the Pacific. Therefore, it becomes a race as to who can crush what theater first, and it’s been Japan in recent games, so we don’t do the Spain attack to often any more. This Med Sea house rule may be better complimented with some other house rules benifiting the Allies.

• Customizer

It seems to me like this rule would not do much to increase action in the Med, Africa or the Middle East. I think the Axis would be using it more to get in and attack the Ukraine and Caucasus earlier, although the Caucasus would give access to the Middle East.

• What if a Victory City were added to South Africa? Then Germany could try to just push Russia into Moscow and contain them, meanwhile helping Italy to cross the Med and conquer Africa to win that way. Could be interesting too with a Halifaxian Canzac trying to defend South Africa to prevent it.

• @Young:

That is a total NO GO! You will ruin your gameplay with it.
    Try instead to add one or two more sz in it. And even let Ger have one tranny from the beginning. It is up to Ger player how to get units on it and cross the sea.

• @Young:

The Global map incorrect depicts the European section of Turkey as being part of Greece.  In real life, the sea passage between the Aegean Sea and the Black Sea lies entirely within Turkish territory.  If the map were accurate, controlling Greece (or not controlling it) should have no effect on the Dardanelles / Sea of Marmara passage, in the same way that controlling Southeast Mexico should have no effect on the Panama Canal.  In WWII, the Dardanelles / Sea of Marmara passage was closed to all belligerent nations.

If a player were to control both Greece and Turkey (as depicted on the game map), this would be a good basis for the Dardanelles / Sea of Marmara passage to be open to that player and his allies and closed to their opponents.

• Sponsor

@CWO:

@Young:

The Global map incorrect depicts the European section of Turkey as being part of Greece.  In real life, the sea passage between the Aegean Sea and the Black Sea lies entirely within Turkish territory.  If the map were accurate, controlling Greece (or not controlling it) should have no effect on the Dardanelles / Sea of Marmara passage, in the same way that controlling Southeast Mexico should have no effect on the Panama Canal.  In WWII, the Dardanelles / Sea of Marmara passage was closed to all belligerent nations.

If a player were to control both Greece and Turkey (as depicted on the game map), this would be a good basis for the Dardanelles / Sea of Marmara passage to be open to that player and his allies and closed to their opponents.Â

Thanks for that CWO Marc… and with that said, this thread is now obsolete.

• Sponsor

I think you missed my point, my reasoning was to give Germany a real motivation to help Italy keep and build on their navy.

• Just played a game where Germany spent heavy first two turns in air/navy for the med.  When russia is making between 55 & 65 and germany barely makes 40, you know the game is over.

• @ghr2:

Just played a game where Germany spent heavy first two turns in air/navy for the med.  When russia is making between 55 & 65 and germany barely makes 40, you know the game is over.

I’d agree in Europe, but Japan can still win the game for the Axis.  Just had a game where Germany failed Sea Lion miserably but Japan still took her 6th VC a few turns later.

It’s a fine balance but I prefer to add to the Luftwaffe and send it to the Med early.  It can then be brought deep into Russia in later turns when it’s needed.  More flexible than naval builds.

• @IKE:

@ghr2:

Just played a game where Germany spent heavy first two turns in air/navy for the med.  When russia is making between 55 & 65 and germany barely makes 40, you know the game is over.

I’d agree in Europe, but Japan can still win the game for the Axis.  Just had a game where Germany failed Sea Lion miserably but Japan still took her 6th VC a few turns later.

It’s a fine balance but I prefer to add to the Luftwaffe and send it to the Med early.  It can then be brought deep into Russia in later turns when it’s needed.  More flexible than naval builds.

I see, but in our game, china and anzac were both strong, and the US started to get the upper-hand against Japan navaly.  Japan was about to take India, but was still SOL to do anything critical(allies contesting islands and UK was setting up to retake india hard with persian units).

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m