Global 1940 is the best Axis & Allies game

• '22 '20 '19 '18 '17 '16 '15 '14 '12

Having played G40 A LOT, I have a different take than Gamerman on the problem with it.

I think the main drawback is that with larger map and air/naval bases the moves are automatically limited and easily anticipated, reducing any fog of war element and requiring a vigilant player to spend a lot of brain power figuring out what his enemy can do and counter it.

In this respect G40 is more like chess than traditional A&A.

The solution?  Ironically I think the solution would be placing a lot more units on the board and more tech that’s more easily accessible.  This would mix up the possible moves enough so there would be no point in trying to run all the permutations.  This would also probably extend playing time, but that wouldn’t bother me.

The only other way to solve this issue would be to introduce a bunch of crazy “limit rules” on movement, such as: You can’t invade southern Italy until you control Sicily, or you can’t invade Japan until you control both Iwo Jima and Okinawa… Or you can never invade Germany by sea…etc.

• @Karl7:

and requiring a vigilant player to spend a lot of brain power figuring out what his enemy can do and counter it.

This is one of the things I was trying to say

I’m glad you weighed in.  This is a great topic - I hope to see more viewpoints come through here

• Customizer

Guys,

@Gamerman01:

@Karl7:

and requiring a vigilant player to spend a lot of brain power figuring out what his enemy can do and counter it.

This is one of the things I was trying to say

I’m glad you weighed in.  This is a great topic - I hope to see more viewpoints come through here

––While everything both of you said is very true,…other factors also come into play, WHATEVER version of A&A is being played. Gamer EXPERIENCE,…and/or the brain dexterity of players.
    ----While I think ALL of us would agree that ten hours for six rounds of play is EXCESSIVE,….the answers to this problem would be more experience for the players involved and/or a time limit for turns. I myself don’t like limits, but some form of “discipline” is most definately required in this instance.
    ----Also, simply changing the strategies from the “same old thing” and developing something new would keep it fresh. Also changing nations that each gamer plays would do the same. My ‘gang’ are always developing “something different” to try and surprise their opponents with and this keeps it Fun.
    ----A&A is a GREAT GAME, and IMHO G-40 is currently the best variation. At least until
    HBG’s Global-1936/39/40 comes out next year.

“Tall Paul”

• 1. Karl I love your pic of Marx with sunglasses xD

2. I love the idea of having these “objective” territories having to pave the way for an overall final objective, adds a nice historic value. However, I think it is going to be a pain in the ass trying to implement this with it to not upset the game balance and or make game not fun anymore. if you do It correctly though i think it could be sweet :)

P.S. considering a German sea invasion would require allied control of Denmark (and Norway?) for entrance into the Baltic, I think that if Germany can’t take back Denmark after a round then Germany is bound to lose anyways :P

• OK I think one of the differences in our experiences is that some of us always play 1v1 and others are only playing 1 or 2 powers.

It’s a lot more tedious to play all the powers on one side, than focusing on one and having all this time while everyone else is playing, to formulate your SINGLE next move…?

• Customizer

@Gamerman01:

OK I think one of the differences in our experiences is that some of us always play 1v1 and others are only playing 1 or 2 powers.

It’s a lot more tedious to play all the powers on one side, than focusing on one and having all this time while everyone else is playing, to formulate your SINGLE next move…?

––Amen, Brother!
    ----The first dozen or so games I always had to play 3-4 players and so wasen’t able to “concentrate” on any one nations counters to the Axis players turn. I’m glad we’ve since gotten another player and are working on getting two more. Once we’re able to get these (and hopefully some more) new players
    up-to-speed on G-40,…I’m going to spring HBG’s Global 1939 on them. Then next year,
    HBG’s Global 1936/39/40 game.
    ----I can’t wait! I’ve had painted/decalled Air Transports, Paratroopers, Marines, Marine Raiders and other units just sitting around just waiting to being played with.

“Tall Paul”

• @BluGerman:

P.S. considering a German sea invasion would require allied control of Denmark (and Norway?) for entrance into the Baltic, I think that if Germany can’t take back Denmark after a round then Germany is bound to lose anyways :P

There doesn’t have to be a next round ;-).
    If UK is strong enough to kill Berlin, US can land a token force in Denmark (and Norway if it hasn’t already) then UK leapfrogs into Berlin same round. Nothing Germany can do about that except stack Berlin.

• Yep… That would be problem #3 on my list

• Personally i like G40 because there are so many more options to go about the game.
    So many other games boiled down to 2 or so strategies, and could quickly get stale.
    I love the can opening strategies

Go take a look at the forum games played on here and you will see just how great the possibilities are.

• Can someone is simple terms explain what HBG’s Global 1939 and HBG’s Global 1936/39/40 game is?

I tried finding info and not sure I did. Thanks

• Sponsor

@wilk7011:

Can someone is simple terms explain what HBG’s Global 1939 and HBG’s Global 1936/39/40 game is?

I tried finding info and not sure I did. Thanks

“1939 Global” is an A&A game variant designed by “Historical Board Gaming” and I believe “Field Marshal Games” which are online stores for game accessories. You can find a discussion forum on this variant here…

http://www.axisandallies.org/forums/index.php?board=73.0

• Customizer

Wilk7011,

––And you can purchase the map, in various sizes and textures, and the additional units that you’ll need over and above the OOB Global-1940 version through:
    www.historicalboardgaming.com
    ----Doug is a good guy and will quickly become your “supplier of A&A FUN”!

“Tall Paul”

• So it is just a redesigned game/board that uses A&A pieces or is it a boxed game that you can buy?

• Customizer

Wilk7011 & Others,

––HBG’s Global War 1939 has a new map with more countries, more positions(countries) actively played, more fortifications, and new units with new rules for them.
    ––You will use all of your units from your A&A 1940-Global PLUS all of the new stuff, too. The map comes in a tube. It’s not a “boxed” set so to speak. It is an “add-on” that COMPLETELY changes most everything in the game. The basic A&A combat system is of course kept, although modified to include the new units and countries played. Just check out the website. It will answer all of your Q’s.
    ----IMHO,…it’s DEFINATELY worth it!

----Don’t forget to check-out all of the Global War 1939 threads on the “Varients” section of this forum.

“Tall Paul”

• Since were all talking about G39…
    Does anyone know if there is a simplified version of G39?
    I have the latest map, it’s beautiful. But a little too complex and too many outside pieces required.
    To me G40 is a great ruleset.

I would love to play a version that is G40 style with 39 setup on the 39 map.
    It would also be much more appealing to new players.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m