• Customizer

As much as I love my collection of D6 dice especially my Chessex mini dice….

Do any of you guys play D12 games? What are the differences in the gaming experience?

Secondly, do any of you players out there play D6 with low luck?

Please feel free to share your thoughts.

Thanks.

• I have used D12 since 2004. The obvious advantage is it allows for a greater number of types of units and better flavor for them. One disadvantage is it takes longer to roll and most people really seem to prefer D6.

If you made a version where each nation had different values for the same unit: German tanks are 7-6 and Russian are 5-5 for example, this is the best option for people who prefer a Historical game.

• Customizer

Thanks for the response IL. I thought of using D12 dice for special units and D6 for OOB.

Example: OOB Panther rolls 1D6 @3/3. HBG Tiger rolls 1D12 @ 7/7 so the Panther has a 50% chance to hit/defend, while the Tiger has a 55% chance to hit/defend. I understand that this could be done using just D12 dice. Using this hybrid method you could model odds that increase by 1/2 a pip over D6 stats and still use D6 dice for OOB units and only occasionally rolling D12 dice for special units.

It might be somewhat cumbersome in some respects. I figured that I could make a second battle board for d12 units though. It’s just an idea I think might be fun in some of my games.

• My preferred game is HBG’s Axis and Allies Global 1939.  It uses the D12 system and in my opinion is much superior to the D6 system.  The D12 allows for a larger variety of units and allows one to distinguish between inferior units from one nation (i.e. Italian tanks and Japanese mech) and superior units from another.  I have seen D20 system rules bandied about and believe that even more variety is possible using D20s.

I am a proponent of low luck.  Low luck ensures that a sound strategy cannot be derailed by poor die rolling.  In my opinion, low luck will allow you to separate the wheat from the chaffe, so to speak, and show who the stronger players are.  That being said, I have yet to play against opponents who enjoy low luck games, so I tend to rail unproductively against the dice gods.

:roll:

• Customizer

Thanks Moose. I like D6 a lot. but I also like after-market units. You point is well stated as well as IL’s. thanks for your input!

• Customizer

Guys,

@toblerone77:

Thanks Moose. I like D6 a lot. but I also like after-market units. You point is well stated as well as IL’s. thanks for your input!

––I agree with the above stated opinions. Although I have some very nice and not inexspensive D6 dice, I will have NO PROBLEM in leaving them behind when I go to a D12 system. I want to get all of the new HBG/FMG/OOB units for ALL players before I make the change to a D12 system with my gang. I’m also trying to get everything modified/detailed/painted too,….but will make the D-12 switch as soon as I get all of the units. D12 sounds like a BIG improvement to me!

“Tall Paul”

• I almost exclusively play using low luck dice

• Customizer

@Uncrustable:

I almost exclusively play using low luck dice

What’s the formula for that? Do you play that F2F? I’m not totally familiar with low luck. I’m looking to get some F2F games going during the holidays.

Thanks.

• '14

I plan to try out a D12 system with A&A 1914. Still in the works at this point, but it would mainly revolve around giving the infantry of various countries varying numbers. For instance, German units would attack at a slightly higher amount and also defend a bit higher. It might counteract the tendency of the game to go south for the CPs too soon. I might keep arty at the same basic level, as the qualitative element took second stage to the quantity.

I love A&A 1914’s slogfest combat feel, just not the way it equates all nations’ infantry as good as the next. From this standpoint, I’m looking at the infantry as being roughly equal to a corps in any given power. In Africa, that changes naturally, but it’s a matter of proportionality.

Major fortifications are something I might add as well. By forcing an attacker to concentrate on a siege here and there, it helps to simulate the relative difficulty of terrain. Such as the rivers of northern and eastern France to the narrow approach available to invading armies in Palestine. It also chews up some of mega stacks that can potentially develop and is more akin to the ridiculous casualties sustained just about everywhere in the war. Suggestions welcome!

• Customizer

@Tall:

Guys,

@toblerone77:

––I agree with the above stated opinions. Although I have some very nice and not inexspensive D6 dice, I will have NO PROBLEM in leaving them behind when I go to a D12 system. I want to get all of the new HBG/FMG/OOB units for ALL players before I make the change to a D12 system with my gang. I’m also trying to get everything modified/detailed/painted too,….but will make the D-12 switch as soon as I get all of the units. D12 sounds like a BIG improvement to me!

“Tall Paul”

I’m with you on this one Tall Paul. I already have some very interesting ideas on how to work in all the various units provided to us by HBG, and that is still using a D6 system. I have also been tinkering with some ideas in a D12 system. The only problem there is I love my FMG combat dice.
    Before I actually implement my ideas though, I want to wait until at least the big 5 have supplement sets (USA, USSR, UK, Germany and Japan). We have stuff for four of them and the UK should be coming up in a few months. It will be available in ANZAC grey so that takes care of them as well. With Italy, I can work in the FMG pieces and they will be more or less as complete as the other nations. Not too worried about France since they usually don’t buy anything and China is pretty much relegated to infantry.

• Customizer

KNP & Others,

@knp7765:

@Tall:

Guys,

@toblerone77:

“Tall Paul”

I’m with you on this one Tall Paul. I already have some very interesting ideas on how to work in all the various units provided to us by HBG, and that is still using a D6 system. I have also been tinkering with some ideas in a D12 system. The only problem there is I love my FMG combat dice.
    Before I actually implement my ideas though, I want to wait until at least the big 5 have supplement sets (USA, USSR, UK, Germany and Japan). We have stuff for four of them and the UK should be coming up in a few months. It will be available in ANZAC grey so that takes care of them as well. With Italy, I can work in the FMG pieces and they will be more or less as complete as the other nations. Not too worried about France since they usually don’t buy anything and China is pretty much relegated to infantry.

––Amen, Brother!
    ––Over the last year or so IL has developed many good “new unit” rules and A/D/M/C factors and opened up them up for discussion/improvement. It would be worth your time to dig up the threads as they really have some gems of intelligence/logic/simplicity. I agree with about 95% of what IL has ended up with and plan to use them, as well as some additional HRs of my own, for some (hopefully) “Improved” games.

––I’m also looking towards one day having a land/sea/air game of the entire SOLOMON ISLANDS played on a map the size of a full global game board It will be versital enough to have different smaller games played using the same map(s), too,….like “Coral Sea”, “Invasion-Port Moresby”, “Attack on Rabaul”, etc..

“Tall Paul”

• Customizer

@knp7765:

@Tall:

Guys,

@toblerone77:

"Tall Paul"  Â

Thanks Paul.

@knp.

I’m working on a “hybrid” system with two battle boards. Essentially a D12 @ 7 or less is basically a D6 @ 3.5 or less. So I know I could just use all D12 but I love my D6 dice, and we all know you can’t roll a 3.5 on a D6. So I figured I’d design a second battle board for units that require D12 to accommodate “0.5 pip increments” over traditional D6 stats.

I appreciate everybody’s input a lot.

• I’m with IL. My 2 games ( 39 ) use D12 dies. Games are so advanced with all the different types of pieces. Nothing like having massive amounts of units fighting each other. Battles do take longer, but just seeing all the pieces on battle board is just awesome for me. My 3rd game is Tigermans which I haven’t got to yet using his rules, but did use his map for one of my games.

• @toblerone77:

@Uncrustable:

I almost exclusively play using low luck dice

What’s the formula for that? Do you play that F2F? I’m not totally familiar with low luck. I’m looking to get some F2F games going during the holidays.

Thanks.

I play F2F very rarely, but i do when i can. I mostly play online.

But LL is pretty simple, add up the combat values of your units, divide by 6, roll for the remainder. Battles involving submarines sometimes get a little interesting
    Even AA rolls use LL. So if your attacking with 5 fighters roll one dice a hit of 5 or less one of the planes dies.
    i prefer to remove some of the luck and rely more on long term strategy deciding the outcomes of games, rather than a few crazy rolls.

Of course a casual f2f game will almost always be with regular dice.

LL dice is played differently from regular dice though, different strategies, as you can actually look quite far ahead and predict outcomes. It comes down to efficiency and mistakes.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m