• So I have never played classic. I have played Europe, E and P 40, and 1941.

My friend has it and once we both have a day off work we plan on playing it. I’m going to be the allies and him the axis. I clearly can tell the allies have a higher probability of winning. I already know the basic shuck shuck with U.S.A. And the infantry with few armor buy (if any) as Russia and only attack when a counterattack is very low. But as the UK/GB I want to know if that buying a complex for India is a good or bad move. Also if U.S.A. Should build one.

Side note: He thinks Axis have advantage and I disagree.

I believe we will be playing must take 2 caps/ take everything approach as world domination is always fun.

We won’t be playing with a bid however I may give him a token of 10 free ipcs as he probably won’t take it to prove his ‘awesomeness’.

Any other tips much appreciated. Remember if you aren’t playing hard enough if you aren’t willing to lose your friend over the game ;)

• 99% of the time do NOT buy any complexes as the UK/USA.  If you buy in India it is a gift to Japan;  same with buying a US factory in China.  Just concentrate on a ‘kill Germany first’ strategy if you want to win.

• My advice would be to do the basic transport of US/UK troops to Norway/Karelia to 1) protect Russia and 2) attack Germany.  Some of these forces can be moved to Moscow and Novo if necessary should the Japanese do well in Asia.

Do sink any German navy and kick Germany out of Africa as soon as possible, don’t let the axis get these ipcs.  It is nearly impossible for the axis to acheive economic victory without Africa, and very difficult for a conventional win without Germany holding africa for at least a good while (sufficient to acheive gains in Russia).

You can pretty much ignore Japan until Germany is destroyed.  If they go into Africa, kick them out (see above regarding ipcs).  If they attack North America, kick them out there as well (usually easily done).  If they are pushing hard on Moscow, divert sufficient troops from Karelia to push them back.

By doing the above, you should win as the allies (though of course the dice can always work against you).

Lastly, when you are very comfortably ahead, don’t forget to buy that Russian battleship for the Caspian sea  :-D

• @BJCard:

99% of the time do NOT buy any complexes as the UK/USA.  If you buy in India it is a gift to Japan;  same with buying a US factory in China.  Just concentrate on a ‘kill Germany first’ strategy if you want to win.

I disagree i think a first turn complex in India is the only way that you can contain Japan.

• I am going KGF strat I just think that the Japanese need to be contained.  It isn’t like him and I are master axis and allies players.

I think that If I send Russian support of infantry while those infantry are replaced By the other allied infantry I can still hold the wall against Germany and stall Japan.

When I play 1941 and I am Japan I get out of hand and destroy everyone. Even if Germany is about to fall I have all of Asia by then. So I don’t want that happening in this game that Japan pumps 6 tanks a turn with nothing in its way to Russia.

• @stroutqb22:

@BJCard:

99% of the time do NOT buy any complexes as the UK/USA.  If you buy in India it is a gift to Japan;  same with buying a US factory in China.  Just concentrate on a ‘kill Germany first’ strategy if you want to win.

I disagree i think a first turn complex in India is the only way that you can contain Japan.

If the Japanese player wants India they will get it.  Yes, a 1st turn IC will slow down Japan a bit, and make it more costly for them to take India, but they should be able to take it in turn 2 or 3; and then they will have the IC.  If this helps your strategy, then fine (I did say 99%…  :-D)

• @BJCard:

@stroutqb22:

@BJCard:

If the Japanese player wants India they will get it.  Yes, a 1st turn IC will slow down Japan a bit, and make it more costly for them to take India, but they should be able to take it in turn 2 or 3; and then they will have the IC.  If this helps your strategy, then fine (I did say 99%…  :-D)

Building the IC in India also slows the UK down.  They delay construction of two transports by one turn, delays 5 infantry, or some combination.  This gives Germany an advantage in Russia or Africa.

• I have found that an industrial complex in India is great risk for the Allies. If India can survive the next two to three turns it can work. However it very well could be a great gift to Japan.

• If an Indian IC is not the way to go then how does one slow the Japanese down?

If you say let Japan go wild and just mass shuck to russia to kill Germany will work before Japan is a threat. Will the allies be fast enough?

• '12

That is the game, are the allies fast enough.  It truly is a race against the clock and the clock is when Russia falls.  Some games russia falls about the same time Germany does, then the race is can Japan liberate Germany before it’s too late for the axis!

An India IC can be hit by so much by Japan in R2-3 if they half expect it.  In my opinion you can only do an India IC against an inexperienced Japanese player.

• @italiansarecoming:

If an Indian IC is not the way to go then how does one slow the Japanese down?

If you say let Japan go wild and just mass shuck to russia to kill Germany will work before Japan is a threat. Will the allies be fast enough?

In my experience, the allies are indeed fast enough.

Japan indeed can get quite large (while at the same time Germany shrinks).  But not large enough to take Russia if the US/UK are also sending forces.  Usually in my games, Germany is deliberately contained to Europe (in a kill Germany first) and Japan is ignored, except for some minor pushbacks in North America or Russia or possibly Africa.  With the usual mass of troops in Karelia it is trivial to send some forces to Moscow, then Novo to push back at the Japanese.

Once Japan gains most of Asia, where else can they go?  Maybe a few ipcs in Australia, NZ, Hawaii…, but not enough to win the game and at a cost of troops that could be better utilized putting pressure on Russia.  Also the US can afford to send a few forces to re-take these if they want.

Maybe Africa, but then the US/UK are closer and will simply pump sufficient troops there to kick Japan out (again at the opportunity cost of lost pressure on Russia).

If Alaska, the US can easily take it back.

So Japan is constrained (in my opinion) by the fact that other than Asia (on the way to Russia), growth opportunities are limited by the distance from Japan and the opportunity cost of the need to put pressure on Russia (hoping a combined Germany/Japan push there can take Russia before Germany falls).

• We had to postpone. However next weeks Friday we will be playing. I have thought about it and have decided that I won’t get an Indian Ic. I also need to know what generally is an efficient way to protect transports from German bombers and/or fighters. As the transports can not go undefended however that means naval purchases such as a battleship or aircraft carriers with planes?

Also if Germany makes subs what is the best way to defend against this. As I usually have destroyers defending my transports but now there are no destroyers.  So how does a sub work differently in this one?

• @italiansarecoming:

We had to postpone. However next weeks Friday we will be playing. I have thought about it and have decided that I won’t get an Indian Ic. I also need to know what generally is an efficient way to protect transports from German bombers and/or fighters. As the transports can not go undefended however that means naval purchases such as a battleship or aircraft carriers with planes?

Also if Germany makes subs what is the best way to defend against this. As I usually have destroyers defending my transports but now there are no destroyers.  So how does a sub work differently in this one?

Battleships are very expensive for what they do.  I prefer aircraft carriers with planes.  Transports as fodder.  If Germany is building navy, then rejoice as Russia.  I believe Submarines cannot submerge, only retreat from battle (even on defense), but otherwise any naval/air unit can target them.

• @italiansarecoming:

We had to postpone. However next weeks Friday we will be playing. I have thought about it and have decided that I won’t get an Indian Ic. I also need to know what generally is an efficient way to protect transports from German bombers and/or fighters. As the transports can not go undefended however that means naval purchases such as a battleship or aircraft carriers with planes?

actually, transports are very good at defending themselves in this game, I dont remember if it was good or not to buy 1 british carrier in this game.

In general, you should have 1 british and 1 uk battleship left after round1.
    If you took norway with russia in round 1 (I recomend this) luftwaffe is at 5 aircraft and it is generally a mistake to build more for the germans. So as long as your fleet is at least 1BB + 5 TTs (and you play with 2hp BBs) you are more or less an even match, with luftwaffe, and if they do attack they will not be able to threathen you ever again, even if they win the battle it will be a pyrric victory. Because after the battle, you will not even need battleships to stop luftwaffe. (average loses in 4ftr+bmb vs 5 TT +BB = 40 to 49 average IPC loss).

If you want to be completely safe, then 6 TTs + 1BB + 1RUsub, and luftwaffe is not a danger anymore. if you ever lose your BB and need to replace it, you build a Carrier instead.

• Liaison TripleA '11 '10

Carriers are a great buy in classic.

Subs get pwned by aircraft.

Transports are your naval fodder.

Please do not be offended… but I wouldn’t take any of that advice!

• '18 '17 '16 '11 Moderator

It’s been a long time, but:

England needs to buy carriers, America needs to be planes to land on those carriers.  exploit that gives the allies a huge advantage.
    Russia needs to kill a German fighter round 1, believe an attack on Eastern Europe accomplishes this but I could be mistaken it could be Ukraine. 
    US/UK invade Spain with a large stack when they are ready to invade Europe (which should be pretty quick.)

at that point, even if Japan’s on Moscow’s doorstep, it’s game over for Germany with a stack of Russians coming from the East and the Allies marching in from Spain and reinforcing from England from the west.

Axis are at the disadvantage unless you pull some off the wall strategy like Canadian Shield (which will only work ONCE against someone who does not know it and does not put it together until too late.)

Naval supremacy and trading western Europe are far more important than giving factories to the Japanese in India and Sikiang.

Proper japanese builds will see both those factories eliminated, and absolved by the Japanese in short order.

Tanks are also a bad build for defense, which is what you’re on early in the game at both of these locations.

Lets play a game old friend… :P

• I need to dusted off my 2nd Edition and play. May do that soon. I’m starting my ten year old with Risk at this time, his training has started.

• Nice Worsham. Good luck and hope  he loves it.

Suggested Topics

Axis & Allies Boardgaming Custom Painted Miniatures

Users

Topics

1.7m